Kansas Wrestling

Ks. 6&Under State Championship

Posted By: RENEEDAWNCARVER

Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/09/10 04:21 AM

Just a reminder to all club directors and parents, the deadline for entries for the 6&Under State is this Sunday March 14 at midnight. Please check your information thoroughly before sending it in as we will NOT make any changes after the deadline. Entries can be e-mailed to me at rrcarver@sbcglobal.net We look forward to another great tournament...see you all soon and good luck to all clubs as they start their road to State!

Renee' Burdick

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/11/10 09:37 PM

bumping it up!!!
Posted By: 7basicskills

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/11/10 10:51 PM

how many entries so far

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/12/10 01:50 AM

Attention clubs:

I need one entry from each club please, I have several clubs letting their parents sign their kids up and then I am getting a team roster as well, this is causing confusion and way too much paperwork to print off. Weight classes and ratings are not matching up either, I realize every parent wants their kid rated as a 10 therefore I am requiring entries be made through a club representative or coach so that numbers are accurate and no problems arise the morning of the tournament. Thank you!

Renee' Burdick

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/14/10 05:13 AM

Final day for entries!!! Please make sure your club has their entries in by midnight. We are approaching 300 entries...should make for a great day of wrestling! Thanks to all who have entered!

Renee'
Posted By: 4 The Sport

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/14/10 06:15 PM

Can the wrestlers who are wrestling at Districts use their weigh in then as official?
Posted By: cdobson

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/14/10 10:26 PM

Will brackets be posted prior the tournament starting?
Posted By: Bones1768

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/14/10 10:36 PM

Brackets have never been posted before. In the past you get to see them Saturday night.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/15/10 01:07 AM

you CAN NOT use your weigh-ins from District
Posted By: Chris Marcum

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/15/10 02:31 PM

Will you be posting entries?

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/16/10 02:22 AM

We will not post entries prior to the tournament, a bit difficult to scan a 64-man bracket...which we will have several of this year. We have about 350 entries.

37# 19
40# 23
43# 34
46# 47
49# 45
52# 48
55# 38
58# 27
61# 12
64# 6
67# 9
70# 7
73# 7
76# 4
80# 6
88# 5
95# 5

See you all on Sunday!

Renee'
Posted By: ctpmama

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/16/10 01:23 PM

We've never been to a tourny with 40+ kids in my sons bracket. Will these be double elimination? Or are you done if you lose one?
Posted By: GarateKids

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/16/10 01:42 PM

they are all double elimination! they will use the 64 man bracket for 40+ kids
Posted By: Bowen

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/16/10 08:00 PM

Thats a good day of wrestling, young or old . The awards r they the same? And r u useing both gyms? Doesn't really matter Nathan is excited to go bring hardware home like his brothers,maybe?

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/16/10 08:18 PM

awards are the same...using both gyms...we predict the youngsters walking in for their parade about 3:30 or 4!!
Posted By: NColtrane

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/17/10 01:08 PM

Renee;

We've got kids in a 3 man and 6 man bracket. I assume the 6 man would be an 8 man bracket, can you tell me if the 3 man is a round robin?

Thanks

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/17/10 05:34 PM

Will there be a Saturday night weigh in?

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/17/10 05:45 PM

WEIGH-INS: SAT. MARCH 20 6-8P.M.
SUN. MARCH 21 6-8A.M.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/17/10 06:05 PM

the 3-man now has 4 kids in it so it is a complete 4-man round robin, if there are 5, 6, 7 or 8 in a bracket it will be an 8-man bracket

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/17/10 06:54 PM

Are they allowing a pound for those that wrestle on Saturday?
Posted By: Bones1768

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/17/10 09:16 PM

They never have before.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 02:24 AM

absolutely no weight allowance...all kids have to make weight

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 01:05 PM

Since there does not seem to be any flexibility for 6 year olds who are wrestling on Saturday in Districts. If they come in overweight will you allow them to wrestle up? Remember this is 6U state and we are only trying to make this an event that we will encourage our clubs to participate in.
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 01:15 PM

Then encourage your kids to wrestle a weight they can make.
Posted By: schroeder

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 02:11 PM

check the rules for usa wrestilng and see what it states in concerning back to back sanctioned wrestling events. it should be considered the same as consective days wrestling when weigh-ins are required. you may have to refer to the high school rules if kids wrestling rules doesnt address the issue. i do beleive that in a sanctioned event that is being held on consective days or 2 seperate sanctioned events that are being held and attended by a wrestler then a one pd allowance is given. those that are asking about the weigh-ins need to check with the rules and see if and what applies in this case. i do believe districts as well a 6&u state are requiring usa cards.
good luck to all those that are going. it is a great tourny in ottawa and they do a great job.
Posted By: doug747

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 02:37 PM

I'm sorry, but if you have a 6u kid that is cutting weight, and are worried about "holding" that weight during districts, so he can wrestle the same weight at 6u state, something is wrong. Everyone makes weight, or they don't wrestle. If they would be giving a weight allowance, there would have been lots of kids wrestling down a weight class. A one pound allowance would have put at least one of our kids in a lower weight class, probably two, so changing the rules this late in the game would be a mistake.

I am not in a dream world, and I realize that weight cutting/management happens in wrestling, but at 6u? Come on........

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 02:44 PM

I guess I should have expected the usual weight cutting scenario. I did not once say I was having a 6U cut weight nor do I condone it. He weighs on the average 1-2 oz under his normal weight all year it is just not unusual for him to gain an additional 4-5 oz during the day at wrestling tournaments from eating and drinking. Please do not lecture me on this. It is not my first time at this. I did not ask for any pound either. There was not any reading between the lines anywhere. I have always respected rules etc.. and I just was asking simple questions to clarify.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 03:00 PM

I don't think there should be any weight allowances. And i'm pretty sure it is at the tournament directors discretion. The Kansas modifications actually say no weight allowances and wrestlers shall not be permitted to wrestle at a higher age group. So which rule do you go by. kids wrestle Saturday-Sunday tournaments all the time and don't get weight allowances unless the tournament director decides to. I think if 1 kid gets a pound, all kids get a pound.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 03:09 PM

I do believe when we weigh in at State in Topeka we do not have to weigh in both days. It is also a consecutive day wrestling tournament very similar to what is being done this weekend for those doing consecutive days also.
Posted By: wrestlingfan24

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 06:15 PM

the diff between a two day tourn. and two diff. tourn. is the two day tourn. is not always required to weigh in twice, as of two different tournaments is. I think if you are required to make weight two days in a row you do get a pound.
Posted By: schroeder

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 06:21 PM

correct......

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 09:39 PM

You said "Since there does not seem to be any flexibility for 6 year olds who are wrestling on Saturday in Districts. If they come in overweight will you allow them to wrestle up? Remember this is 6U state and we are only trying to make this an event that we will encourage our clubs to participate in."

I take your statement as implying that Ottawa is being Harda$$ on weighins by not having any "flexibility" on weight. Then I take it that you are asking for your kid to bump up a weight if he doesn't make weight. As someone said earlier, enter your kid in a weight class that you don't have to worry about it in.........

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/18/10 09:42 PM

Then I believe they should have stated that on the flyer, so that EVERYONE would know that when entering their kids. You give a pound, and all of a sudden you have a kid that weighs 40.5 lbs, wrestling 43, that has to wrestle a kid that weighs 44, nearly 10%.

I also think you guys h ave HS rules confused with kids' rules, but I am not sure. HS get a pound the second day, but I have never been told anything about kids' federation getting a pound, and we've done plenty of the two tourneys in a weekend thing...........
Posted By: sportsfan02

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 12:01 AM

I also worry when someone starts measuring weight in "ounces", particularly as it relates to the 6U class. A few years ago we had some members of this board comparing the weight of singlets in "ounces" from one brand to another. I see many problems ahead for you and your youth wrestler if you are worrying about "ounces". The reason that there are so many weight groups, so close together at the younger ages, is so nobody worries about "ounces"!

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: wrestlingfan24
the diff between a two day tourn. and two diff. tourn. is the two day tourn. is not always required to weigh in twice, as of two different tournaments is. I think if you are required to make weight two days in a row you do get a pound.

I would agree if it is the same tournament, you choose to wrestle in 2 entirely different tournaments, you go with the tournament directors decision. Nobody is making you wrestle in 2 tournaments. If they are going to start giving a pound, you might as well go to Missouri weights, every 5 pounds. Why should the kids that wrestle the day before get a slight weight advantage.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 01:56 PM

I love the passion in our sport. Now I am being criticized because I related to my sons weight in oz. I also have never stated that my son was cutting weight. I just know from experience that kids eat and drink an excessive amount during tournaments and that they want to wrestle again the next day at their previous weight from the day before. I am trying to fill in all of the lines here so there isnt any misconceptions. Please do not lecture me on singlets and weight classes. We.... all know the differences especially those who have done this sport for 15 plus years. I am not an overzealous parent or someone who is wrestling again thru my kids. Just doing what is appropriate for all wrestlers at any age.
Posted By: fireman95

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 02:16 PM

It is a great question and being sanctioned by usa wrestling takes the tourney directors choice out of the equation. The rule is that if one kid in the tourney wrestles the day before then everyone in the tourney get a pound. Ottawa does a great job with this event and I thank them cause it as always alot of fun but the rules on this are the rules. By the way, none of my 6 and unders are cutting weight i'm just helping to clearify the rules. Good luck to all the little guys who will be there sunday and again thanks to ottawa for putting this event together!
Posted By: windjammer

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 03:00 PM

People keep trying to bring certain aspects of high school weigh in procedures into kids wrestling and ignoring the ones that they do not like.

For example, high school kids have to make weight AFTER their bracket is complete on the first day. I don't think a lot of kids and parents would like that modification.

High school wrestlers are subject to hydration testing, alpha weights and weight certification. They cannot wrestle down at the end of the year as they must make at least 50% of their weigh ins at their qualifying weight, and only one wrestler per team can wrestle at a given weight.

Are you going to let a kids club team schedule a dual on Friday before a tournament to get a one pound allowance? High school teams do.

If you truly believe our tournament directors are subject to high school weight classes (which they are not) then you must also believe we are subject to all of the other rules.
Posted By: RichardDSalyer

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: fireman95
The rule is that if one kid in the tourney wrestles the day before then everyone in the tourney get a pound.
This is not a USAW Kansas Kids rule!

Originally Posted By: fireman95
i'm just helping to clearify the rules
The rules for Sanctioned Tournaments may be found here: Kansas Kids Rules Modifications

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 04:29 PM

Thanks for that link. I don't have a copy of the rule book handy and was wondering if you had a link to any of the rules about wrestling and weighing in back to back days? I was told(and it was quite a while back) that there was a specific rule for that. Just curious if it was covered anywhere in the up to date rule book.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/19/10 05:05 PM

Thanks Richard, I didn't have time to prove myself right, but you did it for me. I would have thought that I would have been of that rule, if it were one, in my many travels around to wrestling tourneys these last years.......Everyone makes scratch weight at Ottawa. Period.
Posted By: demon357

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/20/10 03:07 PM

Just curious if there is a possibility of cancelation of the tournament due to the weather and if so when will we know?
Posted By: Toe2Toe

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/20/10 05:14 PM

Lets hope not, sitting at hotel in Ottawa right now waiting for weigh-ins

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/20/10 05:21 PM

hows the weather and roads doing down that way?
Posted By: creach boys

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/20/10 07:26 PM

Wind is blowing snow but roads are pretty clear. I have not heard anything from our director about cancelling our tournament.
Posted By: JerryD67

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/20/10 08:53 PM

is there going to be a weight allowance due to the inclement weather?
Posted By: Toe2Toe

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/20/10 08:59 PM

Weather is ok in Ottawa just slushy and its still snowing but little flakes. We drove threw a lot of crappy weather but still made it. Their is no way son would let me not make it. Good Luck to all and safe trip!
Posted By: bloomy6

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/21/10 03:01 AM

Renee you have a PM.

Shawn Bloomfield

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 12:42 PM

I jusy wanted to say thanks to Ottawa for putting on a great tournament. It was a classy thing to do for that family. Makes you put things in perspective, I know they already have a memorial tournament for the boy, but what about naming the state tournament for him? Just a thought. Congrats to all the kids, it was a hard fought day in all matches.
Posted By: DingusKahn

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 01:25 PM

It was top notch what the club did for that family...I couldn't fathom standing out there over my son's shoes as they were being retired...my heart goes out to them.

On another note...does anyone have an update on the Yeager boy that dislocated his elbow on mat 4...I was the first one to him and saw firsthand how it looked...I felt so sorry for him as he was in a lot of pain...our family prays for his speedy recovery!!
Posted By: cbrading

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 01:30 PM

What the Club did for that family was awesome. Does anybody know if they will post results to this. Just curious how the 46lb class ended up.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 03:44 PM

just curious if any results would be posted as well

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 03:56 PM

Thank you to everyone for attending the Ks. 6&under State Championship. I thoroughly enjoyed the day and having the Siruta family there as our guests was very special. It was our every intention to give them the love and support they needed especially with today being the 1 year anniversary of Tate's passing. Thank you to everyone who signed the shirt and donated money to the family as well. They were very touched by every event and appreciate all that was done for them.

I am trying to re-cooperate today for a bit and I will sit down and type out the results and get them posted on here as well as having the Juby's post them under the results topic.

Take care everyone and good luck at State this weekend!!

Renee'

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 05:19 PM

Thanks for asking about haden, he is home and doing fine. He dislocated his elbow and tore some tendons. He is pretty sore and will be out of sports for a while. Thanks to all who helped getting him taken care of! I stopped by to see him after the tourney and he was sluggish and I think he is gonna keep mom busy at home for a couple of days.

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 05:50 PM

Glad he is OK. I was thinking of this little boy all evening! You never want a see a kid get an injury like that. Hope to see him back at it next season!!!!
Posted By: bloomy6

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/22/10 09:20 PM

Thanks to Ottawa for helping coach IWC wrestler's on Sunday. What a great program, coaching staff and Tournament you hav

Shawn Bloomfield

Re: Ks. 6&Under State Championship - 03/23/10 05:20 PM

Thanks for an awesome tournament. Ethan had a blast and the finals parade pumped him up.. Heck of a way to finish his 6U years,,
© 2024 Wrestling Talk Forums