Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Weigh In #106639 03/26/07 07:29 PM
windjammer Offline OP
OP Offline
I liked the new weigh in procedures...seemed to go pretty smooth. I was a little, no make that a lot, ticked, when a large number from a certain orange and black team circumvented the line process and walked in ahead of people that had been sitting in line for hours. Not sure I have ever seen such in your face rudeness from kids of that age.

Re: Weigh In [Re: windjammer] #106653 03/26/07 08:29 PM
T
tt111 Offline
T
What about the hair cutting? That was ridiculous

Re: Weigh In [Re: tt111] #106656 03/26/07 08:37 PM
windjammer Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree. I never figured out what criteria was used for the who needs a haircut decision. There were kids wrestling with some pretty big hair compared to some who got the med scissors special.

Re: Weigh In [Re: windjammer] #106758 03/27/07 05:14 PM
C
curlywrestler29 Offline
C
yeah i'd like to know the guidelines on how they determine what needs to be cut and what is ok because i have long hair and the lady said it was cool and to go on through

Re: Weigh In [Re: curlywrestler29] #106802 03/27/07 09:59 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
 Originally Posted By: curlywrestler29
yeah i'd like to know the guidelines on how they determine what needs to be cut and what is ok because i have long hair and the lady said it was cool and to go on through

Rule 4-2-1

Art. 1... During competition all wrestlers shall be clean shaven, with side-burns trimmed no lower than earlobe level and hair trimmed and well groomed. The hair, in it's naturla state, shall not extend below the top of an ordianry shirt collar in the back and on the sides, the hair shall not extend below the earlobe level....If an individual has long hair longer than allowed by rule, it may be braided or rolled if it is contained in a cover so that he hair rule is satisfied. The cover shall be either be a part of the ear guards or worn under the earguards. A bandana is not considered a legal hair cover. The cover must be of a solid material and be non abraisive. The wrestler opiting to wear a legal hair cover must wera it ot the weigh-in procedure and be checked for grooming with it on. The legal hair cover must be removed prior to the wrestler stepping on the scale to be weighed. If a referee is not present at weigh-ins, the hair cover must be checked by the meet referee upon arrival at the site....

The ... pertain to information irrelavent here (mustaches etc.)

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: Weigh In [Re: Bronco Wrestler] #106844 03/28/07 11:12 AM
T
tt111 Offline
T
They were stretching the kids' hair and if it barely touched the earlobe or eye brows, they had to get it cut and while your at it, cut the back(even though it wasn't touching and ordinary shirt collar)

Re: Weigh In [Re: tt111] #106847 03/28/07 11:51 AM
B
Bauerly Offline
B
What ever rude or rule Kansas use’s for hair criteria there is no one that should or even think about cutting hair on a competitors without consulting there coach or parent who’s arbitrary idea was that. You don't just go and cut at will.

Originally Posted By: curlywrestler29

Rule 4-2-1

Art. 1... During competition all wrestlers shall be clean shaven, with side-burns trimmed no lower than earlobe level and hair trimmed and well groomed. The hair, in it's naturla state, shall not extend below the top of an ordianry shirt collar in the back and on the sides, the hair shall not extend below the earlobe level....If an individual has long hair longer than allowed by rule, it may be braided or rolled if it is contained in a cover so that he hair rule is satisfied. The cover shall be either be a part of the ear guards or worn under the earguards. A bandana is not considered a legal hair cover. The cover must be of a solid material and be non abraisive. The wrestler opiting to wear a legal hair cover must wera it ot the weigh-in procedure and be checked for grooming with it on. The legal hair cover must be removed prior to the wrestler stepping on the scale to be weighed. If a referee is not present at weigh-ins, the hair cover must be checked by the meet referee upon arrival at the site....

The ... pertain to information irrelavent here (mustaches etc.)
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707

Re: Weigh In [Re: Bauerly] #106859 03/28/07 01:36 PM
J
John Leupold Offline
J
I think if this rule is going to be enforced, it should be enforced all year long not just at state....

Last edited by John Leupold; 03/28/07 02:47 PM.
Re: Weigh In [Re: John Leupold] #106862 03/28/07 02:11 PM
VanFam7 Offline
Exactly! Another problem is skin checks. I wish this would be enforced more strongly and at every tournament. Maybe we should more knowlegable people who know what they are looking at.

Annette & FJ VanAnne
sekcoach@yahoo.com
Re: Weigh In [Re: VanFam7] #106913 03/29/07 12:49 AM
T
tt111 Offline
T
maybe if they are going to be so strict on the hair, they should get some professional hair cutters?? instead of ruining the kids hair until it grows back

Re: Weigh In [Re: tt111] #106916 03/29/07 01:09 AM
K
kswrestlingmom Offline
K
If you think it is questionable then just get a haircut before you leave for a tournament. I guess it just seems like it would be common sense to me.

Re: Weigh In [Re: kswrestlingmom] #106926 03/29/07 01:55 AM
L
loud&proudmama Offline
L
As for the haircuts...I did haircuts for almost 2 hours at weigh-in, and I don't have any experience (formally.) I was just standing there, and had a kid ask me to trim his bangs, and before I knew it, I had a long line, approx. 15 feet long of other kids waiting to get trims/cuts. I asked some parents if they wanted to cut their own kids hair, but most said, "No, you're doing just fine." I told each and every one of them that I was not a hairdresser, but a nurse, and I apologized before I ever began cutting. Alot of them said to me, "just cut it so I can get to wrestle,I don't care what it looks like." I tried to leave many times, and was asked to stay there and help w/ the haircuts. My son even left me and went back to the hotel. My sincere apologies go out to any kid that felt like their hair got "butched." But in hind site, when kids get to this level of competition, the rules are pretty clear cut. If people don't want their kids hair cut by a non-professional, then get their hair cut prior to showing up to weigh-in...some of this has to fall back on the parents. Everyone wants to gripe about something, but the rules have been in place for a long time, and haven't changed recently...and the rules are always enforced when it comes to a state competition.

Re: Weigh In [Re: loud&proudmama] #106983 03/29/07 09:31 PM
G
Ginny Wagh Offline
G
We actually enjoyed watching our son get his hair trimmed. He fought us on getting his hair cut on Thursday before State, his father even got his cut, but he refused. He didn't want to jinx his chances, so we said fine. As soon as it was his turn to get his nails checked and hair checked she pulled out the scissors and all I could do is smile. He was embarrassed that he didn't listen to us on Thursday. Sometimes small things like these are good lessons to learn.

Last edited by Ginny Wagh; 03/29/07 09:31 PM.

Ginny Wagh
KCWC in Maryland

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 344 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)