Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Toughest Tournament #134262 12/22/08 04:53 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Newton
185 25.8%

Basehor
161 22.4%

Beloit
101 14.1%

Garden City
79 11%

Colby
34 4.7%

Eudora
33 4.6%

Other
29 4%

Derby
27 3.8%

Gardner
23 3.2%

Valley Center
22 3.1%

Rose Hill
21 2.9%

Liberal
3 0.4%

These are the most recent results from the poll being conducted on kansaswrestling.org

Newton
Newton 2 days
Ark City, Bishop Carroll, Campus, Colby, Derby, Dodge City, Emporia, Gardner Edgerton, Hutchinson, Lawrence, Leavenworth, Liberal, Manhattan, Maize, McPherson, Mill Valley, Newton, Norton. Salina South, Shawnee Mission West, Wichita East, Wichita Heights, Wichita NW,

Bobcat
Basehor Linwood 2 days
ACCHS, Andale, Baldwin, Baseor Linwood, Blue Valley, Bonner Springs, Chapman, Columbus, Eudora, Fort Scott, Garden City, Glenwood Iowa, Goddard, Harmon, Junction City, Lansing, Lawrence Free State, Olathe North, Olathe South, Paola, Piper, Pittsburg, Rossville, Santa Fe Trail, Shawnee Mission East, Silver Lake, STA, St. James Academy, Staley (Oak Park) MO, Tonganoxie, Topeka Seaman, Turner

Beloit 2 days
Abilene, Belleville-Republic County, Beloit, Bennington, Clay Center, Colby, Concordia, Hill City, Hoxie, Lincoln, Marysville, Minneapolis, Oberlin, Plainville, Sabetha, Salina South, Silver Lake, Smith Center, Stockton

Garden City 2 days
Andale, Basehor Linwood, Canon City, Canon Randall, Dodge City, El Reno, Emporia, Garden City, Great Bend, Hays, Holcomb, Hugoton, Lajunta, Lamar, Lawrence Free State, Liberal, Ponderosa Col, Rio Rancho NM, Roosevelt, Sand Creek Col, Scott City, St. James Acadmey, Ulysses

I hate to pick on the little guys again but there is NO WAY that Beloit is tougher than Garden City. In fact, no other listed tournament has near as much out of state representation. Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and New Mexico are represented and I don't believe this is a complete listing of teams as I know that Conifer High School from Evergreen,CO will be attending this year. Rio Rancho is consitently nationally ranked as well as Ponderosa, CO. This is an awesome tournament!

Lets see some more voters support their pick for the TOUGHEST tournament in Kansas! kansaswrestling.org

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Toughest Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #134266 12/22/08 05:22 AM
S
slick slideby Offline
S
thats a nice list!! i personally think the rose hill tournament should rank a little higher. The SEK tournament down in Chanute has had some pretty tough teams making it a great tournament! teams like Goddard, Turner, Bishop Carroll, Blue Valley, Derby, Valley Center just to name a few!! The old Turner V.S Bishop Carroll battles were awesome! alot of eventual state title matches!

Re: Toughest Tournament [Re: Cokeley] #134275 12/22/08 07:49 AM
N
NCKL Fan Offline
N
Gee, you ask people to give their opinion on a poll, the you go and pick on "the little guys" by saying their opinion isn't right! You asked for opinions and they were given. Maybe this years Beloit Tournament isn't the strongest one in recent history. but ever since the first one i attended (35 years ago, yeah, i know, i'm getting up there... :D) it was always said that if you placed at the Beloit Tournament, you had a great chance to make it to State. If you ask any kid that wrestles anywhere, that is always one of their first goals, to make and hopefully place at State.

Re: Toughest Tournament [Re: NCKL Fan] #134305 12/22/08 07:24 PM
S
slick slideby Offline
S
yeah thats true! i always remember people saying that in the Kids program about the wichita classic

Re: Toughest Tournament [Re: slick slideby] #134347 12/23/08 02:21 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
I like Garden City (would be better if Goddard, Derby, or Carroll were there) as the out of state competition is awesome! Three of the top 10 teams (out of 82!) from The Reno Tournament of Champions will be in Garden City. Ponderosa,CO 5th, El Reno,OK 9th, and Rio Rancho,NM 10th. Rio Rancho has Trujillio and Ortega, Ponderosa has Hofer, Kelley, and others, Conifer has Himmelman, Andale is tough, Liberal is really good even without Bach, Garden City has lots of tough kids, Scott City has a two time state champ, etc. I don't think there will be a really weak weight class in the tournament. Newton and Derby are both tough but they are only populated with in-state talent. I love the Basehor tournament but I think it is down a little this year. Glenwood, IA doesn't have any highly ranked kids, Oak Park Staley has a great coach but only one high caliber wrestler, but you have Goddard, Andale, and Lansing. This tournament could have used Park Hill, Mo and/or Blue Springs, Mo. Chanute is tough for a one day event and Beloit attracts all of the small school talent and two of the 4A big dogs (Clay Center and Colby.) When the lineups come out and you see the number of state champs, Fargo AA's, and ranked wrestlers (state and nationally) I guess you could easily weight them and establish which one is REALLY the toughest.

2008/09 Toughest Kansas Hosted Tournaments
1. Garden City
2. Newton
3. Derby
4. Basehor
5. Chanute (Best one day tournament by FAR!)

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 367 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)