Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Filming of Wrestling Matches #153648 12/13/09 05:03 PM
Ricky Bobby Offline OP
OP Offline
I was curious what people's feelings were about the video tape rule. A few years ago it was a topic of much discussion.

Recently some matches were taped and posted on to the website Youtube from the Eudora Tournament. Also, sites like Catchitkansas.com have highlights of matches and some partial clips of people wrestling. Flowrestling.com has become a mainstay at major wrestling events like Senior Nationals and I am sure had some coverage of the recent Mid-American Nationals at Tulsa Union. How does the internet affect the rule that KSHSAA and NHSCA has for the filming of wrestling matches?

I believe that the rule is a bit outdated and needs to be dropped. It is virtually impossible to enforce as someone could easily whip out a camera phone to get some footage of a wrestler they may be "scoping out". There is no way to incriminate an anonymous person who post the footage of a wrestling match on Youtube for the whole world to see. It is also rather easy with the network of coaches to swap tapes, computer files, or DVDs of duals and tournaments where they may have people they see later in the season.

Just thought I'd post a topic to help spice the forum up a bit. I'm tired of reading about KSHSAA's ineptitude to post the regional sites. I hope this sparks some intelligent conversation and good debate.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: Ricky Bobby] #153649 12/13/09 05:18 PM
REVOLUTION Offline
I believe that the rules intent is for not alowing video for scouting a match at the tournamnent or duel. Not all video's in general?

COWBOY UP!
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: REVOLUTION] #153650 12/13/09 05:22 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
I think if you want to video for your own personal library, fine. But to post on youtube and other such sites - I don't think that is cool.

If I got my bu-- kicked by some stud - I wouldn't want the whole world to be able to watch it 24/7/365. Potentially, year after year . . .

I'd want to learn from it, forget about it and move on. Not be constant laughing material for some other dude sitting in front of his PC at his house.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: Dean Welsh] #153660 12/13/09 08:02 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: dwelsh
I think if you want to video for your own personal library, fine. But to post on youtube and other such sites - I don't think that is cool.

I agree. I can't imagine posting a video of some kid to a site without the written permission of his/her parent.

Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: Dean Welsh] #153666 12/13/09 09:25 PM
Roach Offline
Originally Posted By: dwelsh

If I got my bu-- kicked by some stud - I wouldn't want the whole world to be able to watch it 24/7/365. Potentially, year after year . . .

I'd want to learn from it, forget about it and move on. Not be constant laughing material for some other dude sitting in front of his PC at his house.

I have a feeling this is responding to videos I posted yesterday from Eudora... Yes, I post videos on Youtube of my son... NOT to LAUGH at anyone , or for ANY scouts to looks ... but so that MY family who lives in Wichita, Mississippi, Miami, and several other family/friends in this area that cannot come to watch MY son wrestle and are very supportive of his wrestling be it through helping out in fund raising, or just because he is a grandson, nephew, brother, son or cousin and cannot make it to all of his matches. I posted this on here yesterday because someone mentioned that they wanted to see a couple of videos from Eudorda... I said I would, hours before I posted them and no one said not to... YOU TUBE is the easiest way to post it ... I normally don't name the other kid's name only I did at this Tourney because I thought it would be helpful for THIS SIGHT only ... I cannot say it enough, My intention was never for scouting purposes, or any other reason I have posted for years and I don't go and tell people to look at them unless I know who they are... I apologize if this was offensive to anyone .... I believe that scouts look at kids in person and for many years not off a youtube video anyway. Thanks

The real test comes when you lose. -Dick Vermeil
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: Ricky Bobby] #153669 12/13/09 09:50 PM
J
John Leupold Offline
J
Happens all the time in all sports. I don't see a problem with it. My son has been featured in news highlights during football season before and the news channel has never sought our permission.

Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: John Leupold] #153670 12/13/09 09:53 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
I agree. If Metro Sports has a game of the week, does every parent need to give permission?

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: Chief Renegade] #153673 12/13/09 10:14 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
I see no problem in posting these videos. These are public events. A lot of High school events are televised and everyone is always excited their team or school is going to be on TV. I very much enjoyed watching the talented wrestlers at Eudora. I personally would like to watch more of the great match ups from across the state each week!! The flow wrestling site features wrestling videos of college, high school ,and kids as young as six years old. What exactly are we afraid of?? If ESPN decided to televise the Eudora Tournament it would be celebrated, yet the same match that ends up on the internet is somehow wrong? Lets face the fact that in this internet age we will have more and more access to view events that we could not personally attend and I for one am thankful for those opportunities

Steve Earle
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: Ben Dover] #153676 12/13/09 10:44 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Steve,

Good points. I was wrong.

Thanks.

Dean

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: John Leupold] #153683 12/14/09 12:03 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: John Leupold
Happens all the time in all sports. I don't see a problem with it. My son has been featured in news highlights during football season before and the news channel has never sought our permission.

This was discussed before and I believe a legitimate news organization already has permission via your school. They don't need the parents permission.

Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: sportsfan02] #153684 12/14/09 12:16 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: RichardDSalyer] #153735 12/14/09 05:18 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
has the rule been changed? when two football teams trade tapes do they need to permission from the opponent in each teams video? it is illegal for a media source to use a minor, without parents consent, for an advertisement, but not for a featured article, or story. sorry, but sometimes life stinks, if someone gets slammed, and it gets posted, get over it. i know it's not fun to watch, but life is not fair. people have to learn to deal with their emotions and move on.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: HEADUP] #153833 12/15/09 06:02 PM
T
thisclan3 Offline
T
I for one post most all the boys from my sons school on youtube. If any one of the parents were to request that I not post there child I would immediately pull that kids videos! I do it for the kids because they get a charge out of showing it off to everyone and they use it as a tool to see how they are developing and how they can improve in all facets of the sport. In no way is it for anything negative, the kids seem to really like them and there friends and family can view them as well.

Last edited by thisclan3; 12/15/09 05:57 PM.
Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: thisclan3] #154049 12/18/09 03:08 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M
Before you post video on a very social networked site like youtube, please read the article below:

http://www.pbs.org/teachers/learning.now/2007/05/when_students_become_accidenta.html

And a couple of other things you may want to be aware of: legality issues concerning technology are often about one or two years apart. So the implications of what you do today may come back to bite you legally later. And you must ALWAYS consider the possibility of cyberbullying problems...especially when they relate to someone under-age.

Re: Filming of Wrestling Matches [Re: mom4] #154050 12/18/09 03:11 PM
M
mom4 Offline
M
Personally, if you are only posting the video's so that your family can see them than I would either 1. create a blog, limit who can see the blog to only family and friends or 2. use a site like Facebook in which again you have set the privacy settings so that only family and friends can view them.

That way not only are you protected legally if anything happens but the under-aged participants are protected as well.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 434 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)