Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ringworm #22535 01/28/03 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what is the quickest rememdy for ringworm and how long does it take to heal. thanx......need info fast

Re: ringworm #22536 01/28/03 04:21 PM
G
GRAPE APE Offline
G
Have a friend scrape it off. The quickest way to get rid of ringworm. Be sure to put anti-fungal cream on it afterwards. Make sure it looks like a scratch also.

Re: ringworm #22537 01/28/03 04:24 PM
C
Coach Luedke Offline
C
Go to the doctor. Get the state form filled out and sit out the weekend if you have to. Do not spread that around to everyone else. Thank you.

Re: ringworm #22538 01/28/03 04:29 PM
Jeremy Roberts Offline
Nicely said coach, go to the dr, with the medications they have today you may not even have to miss a weekend

Re: ringworm #22539 01/28/03 05:09 PM
C
Coach B Offline
C
Clorox and Tinactin!!!!

Re: ringworm #22540 01/28/03 05:24 PM
wrestling fan_dup1 Offline
I have seen bleach make it worse

Re: ringworm #22541 01/28/03 05:56 PM
boach clack Offline
Yea, going to the doctor is the best thing and make sure you don't spread it. I think that its wrestling ettiquitte not to.

"I try to do...what I can Do...when I can do...what I can do"
Re: ringworm #22542 01/28/03 05:57 PM
Coach Holmes Offline
Coach Luedke is right — just go get it treated. If the officials are doing their jobs (which the good ones will), bleach won't help. You're not helping yourself or your teammates if you don't go to the doctor and get it treated.

Re: ringworm #22543 01/28/03 06:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go to a doctor, get a prescription, and sit out until it is no longer contagious.

I don't mean to get off on a rant here, but...

The reason that skin diseases are still around is because wrestlers do things like "making sure it looks like a scratch" so they will pass inspections. And it is not just the wrestlers. Lots of coaches know that their wrestlers are still contagious, but they still let them wrestle. This is both irresponsible and unethical.

A fungal or bacterial infection is not that big of a deal. They can both be treated and cured. But in the last few years, viral infections like herpes have become a big problem in wrestling. "Wrestler's Herpes" is like a rash of cold sores all over the wrestler's body. It is a horrible condition, and when a person gets it (or any other viral disease), they have it for life. There is no cure. They will have periodic outbreaks until the day they die.

I think it is obvious which coaches are letting their wrestlers compete while they are still contagious. JUST BECAUSE YOU WRAP SOME TAPE AROUND YOUR WRESTLER'S HEAD, THIS DOES NOT STOP THE SPREAD OF DISEASE. This practice is not fooling anyone. And you know when your wrestler is still contagious.

"But I have a signed doctor's note saying he is cleared."

In some cases, that doesn't matter. Most general physicians do not have much experience with communicable diseases. A note from a dermatologist should be required. Plus, there are a lot of bumpkin doctors out there who will sign a note to let a kid compete. After all, if you have to have a note to wrestle, and a note means you are no longer contagious, then there should be no problem with communicable diseases, right? Wrong. To keep these diseases alive, some of the cases have to slip through the cracks.

So coaches and wrestlers, do the right thing and compete only when you are fit to do so. One weekend worth of wrestling is not worth giving someone a communicable disease that will be with them forever.

p.s.--
antifungal cream works for ringworm.

Re: ringworm #22544 01/28/03 10:53 PM
Prant Garker Offline
Word to Big Bird, buddy. Spreading herpes and other diseases is straight up bogus. Go to a REAL doctor (not a chiropractor), and coaches, don't give someone a disease for life simply because you want a few team points.

Re: ringworm #22545 01/29/03 12:46 AM
tap eroom Offline
i don't see what the big deal is it doesn't hurt. it's a rash and it goes away easly. if you have it tape your good to go. i had it last year at the washburn rural duals and i got d.q. and they had to stop the whole tournament and wash the mats and had to inform all the teams. i say if the refs let me by i must be good to go.

Re: ringworm #22546 01/29/03 01:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
tap eroom
This is the kind thinking that causes people to get diseases that they will have for life. It may be a joke to you but when you have to deal with a problem like "Wrestler's Herpes" then your outlook may change. Tape cannot protect all diseases from spreading.

Re: ringworm #22547 01/29/03 01:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The big deal is that the spreading of any communicible dieses gross, while ringworm and herpes are painless and easily treated, there are others, like staph, which is not painless or impitigo, which is really gross, and i've heard really painful. \
And the same bacteria that causes staph also causes strep throat(i think, or pnumonia or somthing like that)
SO...All you jerks that wrestle with herpes/ringworm/staph/whatever, don't get back on the mat till your "stuff" is gone!!!

Re: ringworm #22548 01/29/03 01:55 AM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Super Duper Mystery Man---the tape is for everyone's protection and recently covered up cuts from the previous weekend---yeah that's right cuts. Although the wrestler you mention does have "wrestler herpes" he treats it regularly with an oral medication and has only had one breakout this season---which was treated and cleared before the next competition. Not to mention he is the only wrestler on the team to have it.

Our mats are cleaned daily---before and after practice, our wrestlers are checked for anything weekly and the last thing we want to do is spread herpes more. I am sorry that this was spread, however, I feel we have taken the proper steps to prevent more spread---again I point to the fact that no one else on our team has it.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: ringworm #22549 01/29/03 02:23 AM
tap eroom Offline
all i was talking about is ring worm not HERPES. READ WHAT I SAID AND REPLY TO WHAT I SAID. i agree people with those dieases are different and should be handled differently but ring worm isn't a big deal. like i said it's a RASH!

Re: ringworm #22550 01/29/03 02:51 AM
tap eroom Offline
another thing anything you say i can't take seriuos from a person with a profile like your. physco.

Re: ringworm #22551 01/29/03 02:52 AM
J
Jim Gaither Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by tap eroom:
all i was talking about is ring worm not HERPES. READ WHAT I SAID AND REPLY TO WHAT I SAID. i agree people with those dieases are different and should be handled differently but ring worm isn't a big deal. like i said it's a RASH!
It's a little more than a RASH. Check your medical encyclopedia (or just do a simple search on Yahoo)
Ringworm Defintion:
An infection of the body surface with mold-like fungi called dermatophytes.

Re: ringworm #22552 01/29/03 03:15 AM
Prant Garker Offline
Exactly!

I forgot, because someone is poor, they DESERVE to get ringworm. It's not YOUR fault for being inconsiderate and spreading it to them, it's THEIR fault for contracting it and not being able to pay for a cure. How silly of me. Thank you for doing everyone a favor by passing on a fungus to poor trailor trash, who probably smell too bad to be wrestling anyway.

(On a side note: sometimes even showering doesn't help. If a wrestler has a cut and the bacteria gets into the open wound from something as insignificant as sweat, they can get ringworm/impetigo/herpes/scabes. No amount of showering can get ringworm bacteria out of the bloodstream.)

Re: ringworm #22553 01/29/03 03:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brent--
I think we are talking about two different wrestlers. I know that tape is used to cover cuts, and it is a necessary precaution for when a wrestler's infections are in their final stages of remission. The wrestler I was talking about (with the tape) claimed last Saturday that he has been on Valtrex for seven days. While this should make a person clear to go, lets back up and look at this a little more closely.

A person has to have an obvious outbreak to know that they need Valtrex in the first place. If this wrestler had been on Valtrex for seven days, then that means that he STARTED his medication the weekend before on Saturday. That means that he wrestled both on Friday and Saturday, knowing that he had the infection and that it was extremely contagious.

And he can't use the excuse that he didn't know it was herpes. I know for a fact that this wrestler has had numerous outbreaks last year. These outbreaks were also covered by tape, yet somehow managed to infect wrestlers from at least two different schools (that's all I know about...could be more). So, the wrestler in question definitely knows what herpes looks like (his coach should too), and he knowingly wrestled with it on Friday January 17th, Saturday, January 18th, Saturday, January 24th, or a combination of all three.

Coaches, I know team points are important, but let's not lose sight of the fact that this is only a high school sport and unethical practices like this affect others FOR LIFE.

Re: ringworm #22554 01/29/03 03:17 AM
tap eroom Offline
as long as we got that clear. hopefully you will get to move to olathe and afford a doctor someday. stay in school and work hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)