Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kit Harris USA Wrestling Magazine "Man of the Year" #30959 06/11/04 04:04 PM
B
bcsc59 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Harris named 'Man of the Year'
By Jeff Myrick, Baldwin City Signal Editor

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Baldwin City has the Kansas State Man of the Year right here, but, not surprisingly, he's pretty modest about it.

Kit Harris, Baldwin High School wrestling coach, earned the honor Sunday, which was presented by Wrestling USA Magazine. It goes annually to the person in the state who has done the most for the sport of wrestling.

"Kit was my selection for ‘04," said Richard Fergola, president of the Kansas Wrestling Coaches Association (KWCA). "I look for someone who works hard on wrestling, not just their team. Kit was definitely worthwhile."

As usual, Harris doesn't take all the credit, but he is appreciative of the award.

"It's a good feeling to be recognized and honored for this award," said Harris. "Wrestling is just one example of an activity that can teach a lot of valuable life lessons to kids. I enjoy being a part of that process ... influencing and guiding in that experience. It's educational.

"There sure have been a lot of Baldwin folk who have helped me out in hosting events and supporting me in various ways," he said. "They are a huge part of this award, probably more so than they realize."

The list of Harris' wrestling involvement is lengthy. Coaching credits include: five years as Kansas National Team coach; 10 years coaching freestyle/Greco Roman club teams; five years as head BHS wrestling coach; one year as Kansas Cadet Director; one year coaching Southern Plains staff; two years coaching Kansas Cadet National Duals team; and two years each as assistant and head wrestling coach at Washburn Rural.

As for coaches associations, Harris has been plenty busy there, too. Among those are: three years as KWCA president and another three as vice president; one year as academic chair; and four years as rankings coordinator. He has also served one year as USA Wrestling-Kansas cadet director.

Also along the way, Harris has coached 11 of 23 BHS all-time state placers, six of the nine state finalists, two of the three state champions; was named Class 4A Coach of the Year in 2002; was named Lawrence Journal-World All-Area Coach of the Year in 2002; and was selected for Coaches Development Seminar in fall of 2003 at the Olympic Training Center.

Harris has been heavily involved in hosting numerous wrestling events, including three of the last five Kansas State Freestyle/Greco Roman Tournaments; four similar tournaments in Topeka; three years of the Washburn Rural Championship Duals; three years of the Baldwin Invitational Tournament, which he started; and one year with the BIT junior varsity tournament.

Other involvement includes various roles with youth wrestling and wrestling officiating. He has started the Winner's Circle at BHS and leads the BHS wrestlers in a host of volunteer efforts.

His philosophy goes beyond wrestling, too.

"I always try to take time to talk about character in teaching or coaching ... the value of being a good person, treating people right," said Harris. "This is important above all else. My parents impressed upon me that being successful in something is meaningless unless you were a good person along the way.

"I want to be a good teacher and coach, but not nearly as much as I want to be a good father and husband," he said. "My family's support is important. They need me and I need them."

The Man of the Year award often goes to long-time wrestling coaches, but Fergola believes Harris deserves it now.

"Those (older coaches) are people that need to be honored, but Kit is heavily involved and needed to be recognized," said Fergola. "I made sure he got the award this year because he deserves it."

Re: Kit Harris USA Wrestling Magazine "Man of the Year" #30960 06/11/04 09:13 PM
Chase Offline
HURRAY FOR KIT!!!

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Kit Harris USA Wrestling Magazine "Man of the Year" #30961 06/11/04 10:24 PM
V-S Vikings Offline
Bravo Kit! Never let it be said that there aren't people out there that care — so long as there's a Kit Harris, there's at least one. Keep up the fine work, my friend.

Jeff Holmes

"The only thing you ever deserve is what you earn."
— Tom Brands, Head Wrestling Coach, Virginia Tech
Re: Kit Harris USA Wrestling Magazine "Man of the Year" #30962 06/11/04 10:28 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
He's a great song writer too!
But seriously folks The man has all of my respect, it has been great to work with him for the last two years and would love to work with him in the future. I hope he always keeps helping with the summer stuff and his accomplishments during the winter speak for themselves. A great coach well deserving !
Congratulations Kit

Coach Peterman

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: Kit Harris USA Wrestling Magazine "Man of the Year" #30963 06/12/04 12:21 AM
usawks1 Offline
Congrats Kit!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Kit Harris USA Wrestling Magazine "Man of the Year" #30964 06/12/04 02:44 PM
Shamus Offline
yay thats great!

We want fun 'cos we medically need it!
We want fun either take it, or leave it!
We want fun, and you might as well face it!
We want to have fun, and we want to get wasted!
-Andrew W. K.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)