Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61676 09/28/04 12:45 PM
Computerized Shoes Offline
Aaron, I don't think Salina hosts the NJCAA National Championships in basketball because Hutchinson does and has every year that I know of.

Taggin' for Tyler
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61677 09/28/04 01:59 PM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
wow, that is just a really good deal, the Bicentennial Center is a cool place and environment should improve somewhat. the general environment of rudeness that the Coliseum seemed to exude should abate somewhat, and having an exclusive show should be really great for the kids. Gotta side with Rick Williams on this one.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61678 09/28/04 03:29 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
I disagree with the exclusive show being great for the kids. I've enjoyed watching the 4A State Championships for five or six years, but I'm certainly not going to pass on watching my son's 6A team wrestle to see them. They are losing two classes of fans who really enjoyed seeing them, and they may miss seeing some of their 5A and 6A fellow wrestlers. I'm sorry to see this happen. I know Wichita could be better, but it's worth it to me to see as many classes wrestle as possible. Of course I wish 4A the best of luck in Salina, it's a great town and a great facility, but 5A and 6A will miss them, and maybe they will miss us, too.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61679 09/29/04 12:36 AM
Prant Garker Offline
I think this may be my 1000th post...and I had planned on saving it for something really important (like Jhris and LancerM's wedding announcement), but I think this is too big to not post about.

I have beef with this decision. It makes me sad. I know Wichita was a bad venue, but for me it was worth sitting in an old building for two days to be able to see Earl Jones, the Devoes, Taplin, Kriegbaum, Jordan Bedore, Vogelsberg, MarrsBarrs, etc etc etc. (As I'm sure it was a pleasure for all of them to see me...)

Believe me, I know the arguments. I know it was too far of a drive for many schools, kids will get to sleep more, the tournament will go faster, the Colliseum was a terrible building, the security was mean and all had mullets, etc.

But didn't all of that add to the experience? To all of you who have wrestled there (not coaches/fans--those who have actually wrestled at Wichita), wasn't the experience absolutley amazing? Wasn't it great to meet people from other classes, watch their wrestling capabilities and size yourself up against the other competition? If it wasn't for the combined state, I never would have had the opportunity to meet The Swayze, see Earl Jones' awesome accomplishments, or make fun of everyone's stupid hair (I'm looking in your direction, Chapman). Without the combined states, how will those in 5A and 6A throw bags of poo at Nigel?

It is my impression that KSHSAA is supposed to do what is best for its students. It is not their duty Not what is best for spectators, coaches or administrators. I'm sure that 4A will have a blast all by themselves, and I'm sure the change will have some benefits. However, as a recent participant in the state wrestling tournament (that's right, I qualified. booyah.), I know how great it is to be there with all those people. In my opinion, the KSHSAA has made a huge (though well-intentioned) error.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61680 09/29/04 12:41 AM
Prant Garker Offline
P.S. Though I disagree with the decision....

****Let me nominate Manhattan and Kansas State University's Ahern Field House as the next host of the 5A/6A combined state tournament! Centrally located for 5A/6A schools, wonderful facilities, ample hotel space in the area, and it's right down the street from the best convenience store in the world, Dara's Fast Lane, which has 12 slushy flavors. Plus, I grew up there (as did Pamon Darker and Jhris Cennings), and BKP#2 currently resides in The Hat, which adds infinite cool points.****

P.P.S. Manhattan is also home to the 2004 6a state wrestling champions, just in case you guys forgot. Woo.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61681 09/29/04 09:14 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Prant,

While I don't like the idea of a single class at one venue either, it was a necessity for this year. The Coliseum will be under construction from at least 05-06 and unavailable. Some of us have tried to tell everyone that a move from Wichita would require a split of the classes as no other facility in the state can handle all three. My bet is that this will be a one year only situation and we will see the three classes back together again in 06. I can't see the KSHSAA taking a financial hit for long by keeping the tournament split.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61682 09/29/04 03:23 PM
H
Hovpen Offline
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Computerized Shoes:
Aaron, I don't think Salina hosts the NJCAA National Championships in basketball because Hutchinson does and has every year that I know of.
Salina hosts the women's nationals

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61683 09/29/04 04:35 PM
VS Vike coach Offline
Actually sportsfan, I'm guessing this will be a permanent move. For a long time the 4A coaches have wanted to split into their own tournament and this is exactly what they wanted. As both a former 3-2-1A and 4A coach, the whole idea of being the only game in town for the weekend is kind of nice. And the feeling in the coaches association for a long time has been to get out of Wichita anyway, so the steps toward that have now begun. I know if I were still in Kansas, I'd be very pleased with the move.

Good dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them....
— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61684 09/29/04 04:40 PM
VS Vike coach Offline
The other thing sportsfan is that according to our sources in the KSHSAA, the rent in Wichita was so bad that it would be cheaper -- wherever they went -- to rent two different sites than it would be to stay in one site in Wichita. The Coliseum has felt for years that it had KSHSAA and the wrestling community over a barrel --- hence the shoddy treatment there --- because there was no other site available. The KWCA and KSHSAA finally called their bluff and I seriously doubt that they'll go back on this. You might not want to make the bet you refered to; you'll probably lose.

— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61685 09/29/04 06:41 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by VS Vike coach:
The other thing sportsfan is that according to our sources in the KSHSAA, the rent in Wichita was so bad that it would be cheaper -- wherever they went -- to rent two different sites than it would be to stay in one site in Wichita. The Coliseum has felt for years that it had KSHSAA and the wrestling community over a barrel --- hence the shoddy treatment there --- because there was no other site available. The KWCA and KSHSAA finally called their bluff and I seriously doubt that they'll go back on this. You might not want to make the bet you refered to; you'll probably lose.
While there is little doubt the KSHSAA was unhappy about the cost of the Coliseum, I don't believe you could rent two other facilities for a lower amount. As to the KSHSAA calling their bluff, that's easy to say but means nothing because the facility wasn't going to be available anyway. In regards to my bet, I would never underestimate the power of the dollar where the KSHSAA or any other quasi-governmental agency is concerned.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61686 09/29/04 10:28 PM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
Hey-- maybe we could all be together in the 'ol horse barn (Sam Fulco pavilion) next to the under construction coliseum. The wichita classic has proven that people will put up with it, so we could just go out there and really have a quality experience!!! I doubt if you could ever get 321 out of hays city, and I think that Sailna for 4a will be the same. For whatever reason, the wishes of the 4a guys have been granted, and I doubt they'll be headed back into the cesspool without considerable resistance.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61687 09/30/04 05:05 PM
P
pizzaboy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Actually friends, the KSHSAA announced that Salina will host the 2006 and 2007 4A State Tournaments for sure. 4A will be in Salina for at least those two years. I feel like Vike Coach that if Salina does a good job and the coaches, fans, and wrestlers like it better, Wichita is history. Hopefully, this is the case!! I cannot imagine coaches, wrestlers, or fans who are going to experience in 2006 in Salina the 4 mat format in which wrestling will begin on Friday at 10 am and be done at 7 pm to ever agree to go back to Wichita to experience more chaos. I hear your words Prant, I would be really interested in a poll of 3-2-1A coaches to see if they would rather see other classifications compete or would rather they stay the only show in town. I've been to both venues on several occasions. Hays wins hands down. Sorry Wichita, you had your chance, you failed, we are gone!

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61688 09/30/04 05:21 PM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
mybe we could still get everyone together in Wichita--- I hear the Boeing plant is for sale...?

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61689 09/30/04 05:29 PM
V
venegas Offline
V
I think that the move is bad 4a always has been difficult yes security is bad but the experince of seeing everyone at state is great i think that they all need to go to topeka or go to kemper arena or they need to have grand state and have it at a central location and it will sovle all problems just add an extra qualifing tournament and have nice big grand state

Adam Venegas
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61690 10/01/04 11:10 AM
VS Vike coach Offline
Pizza boy:

If you did do that poll of the 3-2-1A coaches about whether they'd like to stay on their own or have other coaches join them it would be unanimous in favor of the status quo. They love it out there, and despite my early reservations about the system, I did too. And after two years in Salina, a vote of the 4A coaches will probably be the same.

— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61691 10/01/04 12:10 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by pizzaboy:
Actually friends, the KSHSAA announced that Salina will host the 2006 and 2007 4A State Tournaments for sure. 4A will be in Salina for at least those two years. I feel like Vike Coach that if Salina does a good job and the coaches, fans, and wrestlers like it better, Wichita is history. Hopefully, this is the case!! I cannot imagine coaches, wrestlers, or fans who are going to experience in 2006 in Salina the 4 mat format in which wrestling will begin on Friday at 10 am and be done at 7 pm to ever agree to go back to Wichita to experience more chaos. I hear your words Prant, I would be really interested in a poll of 3-2-1A coaches to see if they would rather see other classifications compete or would rather they stay the only show in town. I've been to both venues on several occasions. Hays wins hands down. Sorry Wichita, you had your chance, you failed, we are gone!
My question is, after a year of being in Salina will the wrestlers, parents, and fans actually be polled as to their preference? Also, out of the four groups(coaches,wrestlers,parents,fans), whose opinion counts most?

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61692 10/01/04 06:26 PM
P
P. Pitbull's Old Dog Offline
P
I heard somewhere about 6A to Olathe Northwest and 5A to Campus or Carrol somewhere in Wichita.

I wrestled when it was at High Schools, Newton and Junction City (6A/5A) I think it became more of a big show at the Coliseum, not just another tournament site. True the Coliseum was becoming a testy place between security and the way things were ran. Over all I will miss the Finals of Tennis neck. Did you see that throw, did you see that stick, did you see that takedown. Quality wrestlers: on the same floor at the same time. Cody Garcia, Kreigbaum. Being a summer time coach and getting to watch these guys against the best in the nation, it was great to watch them in the same venue for their State Championship.
Bring back Grand State and let's see who the real State Champ is while also watching all of the great wrestlers of Kansas not just a certain Class. I have always felt deprived of seeing more of the 321A wrestlers, I think alot of them could kick some big school butt, they did back in my day and I do read about it but I would like to see it. Oh well I always have the Greco and Freestyle State Championships for those of you who are not scared to wrestle the style of the Big Dogs.

Head Coach - Peterman Pitbulls
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61693 10/02/04 10:15 PM
M. Schieber Offline
We all know that the Coliseum is a P.O.S. but it was really amazing to see all the classes wrestling in one venue and I'm sure alot of 5a and 6a people will miss 4a alot. Personally I loved the combined classes because it gave us (6a Johnson County punks) a chance to see the hardass 4a guys and even chat it up a little. So basically that decision sucks, but we should all be happy anyways because it really is a good thing for 4a.

Oh yeah, how are you doing Peterman? I'm coming back home for Thanksgiving and I'll try to make practice and throw you around a little bit.

Mark Schieber
Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61694 10/03/04 12:24 AM
T
Time Stands Still Offline
T
I regret this decision. It was wonderful sitting and watching the best of 4A, 5A, and 6A competing in the same gym. I once heard someone say the only way to imporve on it was to add the 1A-3A tournament to the Wichita meet, also. From a fan's point of view moving 4A to a seperate gym and placing 5A and 6A in another venue leaves alot to be desired. Maybe enough others will feel this way that in time the tournaments will return to the same gym.

Re: 4A in Salina 2006 #61695 10/03/04 02:13 AM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
If you want to see the best, there is the invitational after the season is over in Topeka for seniors, and the Bobcat Classic, And Beloit, and Derby, etc. etc. etc. If you hit a couple of premier tournaments in each region in a season you will see just about everyone that is any good, and it will be in a venue that is more informal and freindly and small crowd where you can sit close to what is happening and not be distracted by 4 other matches going on at the same time. At most of the invitational tournaments, you don't need an armband to get in the same county with the competition. Coliseum may be ok if you are a coach, but it isn't real great from row 117. Plus some of the invitationals you get to see guys from other states--- something that you don't see at state.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 334 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)