Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rings #61823 03/30/04 03:10 AM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
If a team wins state, should everyone be allowed to get rings, or just the people who won it?

Rings
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 01/01/70 12:00 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

So this kid is putting on his shoes right, and his mom says, honey you're putting your shoes on the wrong feet, and the little kid says, no mom these are my feet
Re: Rings #61824 03/30/04 04:01 AM
S
superiorsteve Offline
S
Jhris ...... are you counting coaches, managers, non-placing qualifiers and JV who stayed out to be fodder for the varsity as "those who won it"?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"
Re: Rings #61825 03/30/04 05:17 AM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
I think that people who were directly related to the team's success should get a ring. Placers, qualifiers, coaches, etc. I don't feel that kids who "stayed out" to "help the team" should get them if they didn't help. You see, there are kids on our team that helped week in and week out, and there were kids that wrestled other JV kids because it was easy. We've also got the situation where a guy who was injured halfway through football is going to buy a ring. I don't mean to be selfish, but what good is getting a ring if everyone can have it? Why not just order it for the team if they got 5th place? I mean it's just as valid for the non-helpers as it would be if the 5th place team got championship rings.

So this kid is putting on his shoes right, and his mom says, honey you're putting your shoes on the wrong feet, and the little kid says, no mom these are my feet
Re: Rings #61826 03/30/04 05:18 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I think an additional thing could go to the state placers, but rings should be available to all on a team if they stay out and don't miss a lot.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Rings #61827 03/30/04 05:20 AM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
Let me clear that up a bit. I think that the people who helped win the state title should get them. JV wrestlers, managers, and even parents/sponsers should be welcome to get one, but I feel it should be more of a judgement call on who gets them. It's an honor to win a state championsip, and the people who contributed to the win should get credit, in the form of a ring or something else. Basically, if you helped you get one if you weren't there for the team you don't.

Re: Rings #61828 03/30/04 05:21 AM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
I agree with Sweazy, because we've got a few kids who didn't stay out after their season was over, who are getting a ring.

Re: Rings #61829 03/30/04 06:02 AM
rocknraider Offline
Maybe the placers and coaches can get a "free Taco Bell soft taco w/ purchase of any large drink" coupon as a little extra something something.

With the power of Ra!
Re: Rings #61830 03/30/04 05:28 PM
S
superiorsteve Offline
S
I think we all agree ..... JV who stay out to get pounded by varsity guys prepping for state, coaches, managers and varsity non-placers who complete the year are deserving. Beyond that, team should decide if others who supported program should be honored with a championship ring.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"
Re: Rings #61831 03/30/04 10:50 PM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to change the wording of the possible answers.

1) Everyone under the sun.

2) People who directly contributed to the state title.

Re: Rings #61832 03/31/04 12:59 AM
V-S Vikings Offline
Jhris:

Maybe the coaches and state qualifers/placewinners could sit down and vote as to who is eligble for rings and who isn't. But always remember, the guys at State didn't exist in a vacuum; without managers, JV guys and the support staff, getting there would be pretty difficult. Share the love and share the wealth!

"The only thing you ever deserve is what you earn."
— Tom Brands, Head Wrestling Coach, Virginia Tech
Re: Rings #61833 03/31/04 01:21 AM
usawks1 Offline
Perhaps, it should be the same criteria your school uses on who is going to letter!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Rings #61834 03/31/04 01:40 AM
V-S Vikings Offline
That's a great idea Randy — makes perfect sense.

"The only thing you ever deserve is what you earn."
— Tom Brands, Head Wrestling Coach, Virginia Tech
Re: Rings #61835 03/31/04 07:17 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
I will add to this discussion, using my own past. When we and by we I mean the team I was on back in 1998 won state by one point, everybody was so ecstatic that we had won. Somehow our entire team plus about 30 spectators managed to make it down to the floor of the collesium. When it came time to take a picture of the team, everybody and their dog managed to get in the picture. I'm talking about people who weren't even on the team ( not managers ect ect.) At the time I didn't really even think anything about it, but the camera guy sure was mad. The following year when we repeated the same situation was unfolding. This time I actually took time to say something. It was along the lines of "Hey guys this picture is for the next years state program, and in case you didn't notice every other team only has the coaches and the wrestlers who were wrestling in it" It wasn't because I dind't think it was our entire team that helped us get there. I was upset becuase this was supposed to be OUR and by OUR I mean the kids that were actually wrestling's, time to shine. Well my viewpoint eventually ruled out, so we decided to take two pictures, one for the next year program, and one for the team and the trophy case. Afterwards I thought about it and I got pretty upset because once again kids who had maybe wrestled 4 or 5 j.v matches all yar long, never finished practice, didn't do all the hard work the rest of us had, were now acting as though they were the ones out there winning championships. What futher angered me is that the excuse being offered was "Well the J.V kids were practicing with the varsity kids and making them better" Well thats all fine and dandy except for the fact that I didn't practice with any of the J.V kids. Maybe 3 or 4 times during the season I wrestled around with them during 3 mans or something like that. But when it came to drilling and flat out wrestling I never did. I don't know how true that was for the other Varsity guys cause I don't really remember. I do know there were two J.V. kids that were good enough to be on varsity and in fact placed in the top 3 at state the following year, but they wer on J.V. becuase the kids in front of them were better. That story being told. We decided not to get rings for either of our championships, we were happy just to win it, and we got the patches for our letter jackets. I would say that I very much agree with Jhris on this one. Honestly if you weren't out their wrestling, coaching, doing stats, or you weren't practicing with a varsity kid everyday, then you deserve to be part of the championship and get a patch or whatever but not a ring. I think direct contribution to the championship should be the qualifier for the rings.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Rings #61836 03/31/04 07:38 PM
KCWrestlersMom Offline
I think the world may be coming to an end. In three days, I have seen TWO points come from Nigel that I think are very sensible. The other was on a topic in the kids' forum.

I had forgotten about the patches. I think that's a logical way to deal with rewards for a state championship team. All those that contributed in those behind-the-scenes but important ways could also get the patches for their jackets, if they had met the qualifications to letter, and only those participating (wrestling, coaching, managing) in the actual tournament would get the actual rings.

After all, when you medal at state, they don't give you a couple of extra ones for those guys in the practice room back home.

Re: Rings #61837 03/31/04 07:54 PM
boach_clack Offline
I agree with big red....I think we could vote too. And everyone should get something like KC wrestlersMOM said. It is a tough topic though. Jhris has to realize that a lot of people do a lot of things that he may or may not know about. Jhris your still my boy though

"Water is wet, rocks are hard, and wrestling is tough."
Re: Rings #61838 03/31/04 09:04 PM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, I think that we should do it this way....

Everyone can get patches on the team, no matter what.
The rings would go to the people who went to state. They would also go to the JV guys who are worthy of getting one, the guys who worked the varsity kids and made them better, not the JV kids who wrestled JV kids everyday. The managers and coaches would also get rings.

I just don't see how a guy who wrestles all JV kids just so he can take it easy is deserving of a ring. I also don't see how someone who didn't give support to the team, or wrestle the entire year should get one either.

I also have another question. If a guy gets hurt halfway through the season, and doesn't come to practices or go to tournaments, should they get a ring?

Re: Rings #61839 03/31/04 09:06 PM
JhrisCennings Offline OP
OP Offline
None of that matters, though. Because we won state!!!! Wahoo!!!! And I'm getting a ring so it doesn't matter!!!! Mmmmm the trophy....so big...mmmmm....Homer Simpson drool....

Re: Rings #61840 03/31/04 09:24 PM
Prant Garker Offline
This is quite the sticky situation. I think anyone who wrestled varsity at regionals should get a ring. In Hat Town, the cheerleaders (who are spectacular ladies) give each regional wrestler a pillow and some other goodies. To me, the regional team represents the final incarnation of your squad. If a wrestler was a placer a previous year and got hurt, or maybe wrestled 1/2 the varsity matches of a certain weight during the year, I think exceptions can be made for them, too.

And of course I should get a ring for this year's team, because without my witty banter and my ability to make Jhris and Lar Leeson better, it never would have happened. I'll expect my ring in the mail.

Re: Rings #61841 03/31/04 10:03 PM
Ryan Jilka Offline
I don't have an answer to who should get one, but I think it's great that Nigel and Jhris seem to agree! Mancrush showing through???

One thing to think about is that every person that gets a ring will surely be asked what it's for. Then they will get the opportunity to brag about your accomplishments. This spreads the Hat Town pride.

I also think you guys had a stud wrestler out of the line up with an injury. Are you going to deny him a ring for not being at state?

Now that I'm out of politically correct answers... In college we always had some guys walk on for a while and then puss out. They would then show up in public sporting the team's gear. It didn't take long for them to get the picture that those of us who put in the hard work didn't like to see that crap. I think you could figure out a way to do the same.

"The days I can keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are good days" ~ Judy Hubbard
Re: Rings #61842 04/01/04 01:10 AM
boach_clack Offline
I think the way we are doing is ok too....everyone had something to do with it in their own way....and its like jhris sadi...who cares. WE DID IT BABY!!!!

"Water is wet, rocks are hard, and wrestling is tough."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)