Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: blaise] #108282 04/25/07 08:00 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
A sticky situation I've seen a few times is what if the one of the kids that wrestles with you is in fact your own kid? Could in theory some coach from another school state something like, "I saw so and so wrestling around with his kid at a party" ?

Last edited by Aaron Sweazy; 04/25/07 08:00 AM.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: Aaron Sweazy] #108283 04/25/07 08:43 AM
T
TRAVIUS.com Offline
T
Parents can ALWAYS coach there kids according to KSHSAA

Its not over yet...
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: TRAVIUS.com] #108288 04/25/07 02:28 PM
VS Vike coach Offline
I think, from what I read from way back at the beginning of this thread, the question is not rules, but how to improve within them.

As one who coached in Kansas and in one of the "traditional wrestling states" as well let me say that Kansas wrestling really is pretty good. For a state that has very few college (of any level) wrestling programs and less than 200 high schools (last I knew) that even have wrestling, it is still a popular, well-coached sport with many passionate followers.

First, there needs to be a dedication to fundemental wrestling. High school coaches need to work closely with their clubs and middle schools to establish fundmental standards for stance, movement, basic takedowns (snapdowns, singles, doubles), basic bottom moves (stand-ups, stand-ups and stand-ups) and basic rides (not legs) and basic turns (halfs and arm-bars). By the time a kid is ready for high school wrestling, those basics should be second nature. The more advanced stuff can come once those basics are mastered.

Second, lose the junk. Headlocks and spladles are not solid fundemental wrestling moves. They are junk and better saved for "funny clinic move day" at high school practice.

Third, avoid burnout. Too many matches at too young an age can burn kids out. We have kids in our program right now whose parents and club coaches have pushed them into so many tournaments by age 10 that they've given up the sport altogether. State Kids' titles are nice and all, but if by age 12 a kid is so wrestled out that he equates wrestling to taking out the trash (10 bonus points if you can name the movie reference!), what good has it done? Kids' programs should be about learning, not winning and losing.

High school coaches need to find someone in the community (or surrounding area), that is not a part of the high school staff who can coach those kids in the time that the high school coach can't. This needs to be a trustworthy person who understands what the high school coach wants and is willing to do what is asked if them. Those people exist if you take the time to find them.

Finally, stop using the existing rules as an excuse. Rules are what they for a reason, and Kansas's rules (like many states) are in place to encourage kids to be multi-sport athletes. As I mentioned before, there is a wonderful, positive passion in the Kansas wrestling community — one I miss to be honest with you — so long as it doesn't become misguided.

It's not about State Championships, or D-I recruits or All-Americans at Fargo. It's about the greatest sport of them all and how it prepares young people for life. Anything else is just gravy. Never lose sight of that.

Good dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them....
— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: Shane Koranda] #108299 04/26/07 12:53 PM
G
grandad Offline
G

Just thinking what I read from Randy Hinderliter, and a little from Shane Koranda, they are both right and you can write all you want but they hit the nail on the head and I hope others take notes. The only thing I have been saying is the schools need to have coaches that are willing to work at making Kansas wrestling better insted of doing it for a second job with a small paycheck at the end of the year. Rod Spellman spent twenty some years in Hiawatha and was liked by all, and all I had to do if I needed to know something was a phone call away and now with three coaches in five years how can we build a program here? I asked that in
the last post and all the coaches that post here have still not gave the anser and I though coach Brown would have some idea but after reading all the post not even coach Brown can anser that.

Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: grandad] #108301 04/26/07 02:32 PM
Kale Mann Offline
Grandad,

I think your concern is a little specific for this topic. You are talking about a problem specific to one school, not wrestling in Kansas in general which is why not many have addressed your concern. The honest answer is that without consistency of a coach it is unlikely that a strong program will be developed. Possibly this situation could be overcome by an exceptional kids program that constantly produced strong wrestlers, but even then you are fighting an uphill battle with the frequent changes made in Hiawatha.

I would say the first thing that needs to be done is to examine why those coaches left so quickly. Is there a problem with administrative support, community support, were their families unhappy in Hiawatha, were they offered a "better job" either for coaching or teaching, or where they not really that interested in coaching wrestling. My guess is each of them left for their own personal reasons, but there may be a common thread there.

The next step would be to remedy the main issues that are affecting these coaches if possible. Other than that I don't know what advice to give. It may be a case of finding the right person for the situation, which can be difficult to do.

I hope that helps a little!

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: Kale Mann] #108338 04/29/07 03:16 PM
Coach Brown Offline
Grandad,
I have to say that Hiawatha does have the athletes to build a program, as I feel that I do here in Sabetha. Sabetha had gone through three coaches in a short amount of time before I came and for some the small town livin that is our residence does not appeal to all. I wanted to build a program, not a few good years, a program and I am still trying. I will be providing freestyle/greco practice, not until the end of May, for all the area kids(Hiawatha, Holton, Jeff West, and Sabetha)hopefully.

I do not have an answer for you about what to do in Hiawatha, it is hard to find a coach for a small town that wants to put in the time required to build a strong program. I love wrestling and think about it almost 24 hours a day, so for me the amount of time is not a concern. It might be for my wife, but that is why I married into a wrestling family! Time is always a concern and most of us do not have the time. I can be a little overbearing when it comes to wrestling.

Scott has done a good job in Hiwatha and hopefully they will find someone to fill his spot that is young and "wants" to coach. The most important thing is to find one, we are a dying breed the teacher/coach is not an attractive job to alot of people. The only thing I have wanted to do since I was a sophmore in highschool was to teach and coach. Hiawatha will rebound and you will find another coach like Rod, or you could just plead with him to come back!

Best of Luck and I hope to see some Redhawks in Sabetha for Freestyle/Greco practices!
Coach Brown

Jason C. Brown
Head Coach Anderson County JR/SR High
jbrown@usd365.org
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: Coach Brown] #108341 04/29/07 05:35 PM
G
grandad Offline
G

Thanks coach Brown
Belive me we have talked to Rod Spellman all the time and even Don have been talking but at the same time its time for him to have time for his Girls and his wife, and he loves golf so that being said we all understand.
The schools in kansas are looking at rule ten coaches like Holton has done none of the three are teachers and there are other schools that have went to rule ten coaches and did great.
I think one of the things that happened in Brown county is there are three clubs in brown county like Horton, Hiawatha and Sabetha takes a few kids out of the kids wrestling program includeing three that are from Horton wrestling for Holton and four wrestling for Doniphan wrestling club so its hard to have the numbers it takes to build a club and keep then together.
You have a very good asst. in the George boy, and I have been around him and his brother and they wrestled the same time with are asst. coach Don.
Teams like Clay Center that have somewheres around 70 kids wrestling in the program have a great advanage over teams like ours.
Its hard to fine kids that would like to wrestle in High School and just start there eight grade year. Most of then either get beat up till they quit or don't relize how much work it is.
Wrestling is the hardest sport in High School to be good at and not many kids want to work at it that much.

Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: grandad] #131363 09/23/08 03:20 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
... any more thought?

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: usawks1] #135003 01/06/09 05:07 PM
usawks1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Here's a blast from the past!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Improving Kansas Wrestling! [Re: usawks1] #135071 01/08/09 01:14 AM
Coach Brown Offline
Randy,

I think that we should still be riding the high from last years NHSCA Nationals and the tremendous showing we had there. I am happy and proud that I was able to be there and be a part of a team that represented the state of Kansas so well. I do so enjoy your company and those of the Kansas coaching fraternity---27!

As to answer some of the other questions about improving, I am working towards adding freestyle/greco to this area this year, we now have a coach! At Sabetha we passed a bond and the program will have a wrestling room, a new gym, and a new locker room which will only be an improvement after 40 years without a room! Those around my area have all expressed a deep intrest in the mixing of our teams during the kids fed and freestyle seasons.

You spoke of "core strength" luckily last year Matt an Jason Pyle showed me many core exercises with a med. ball...we have been doing 2-3 morning conditioning practices each week with the balls, resistance bands, and circuit training with free weights. I think, an my athletes do too, that it has made a tremendous impact. I watched Akin using resistance bands with Cokely and Slyter doing shots, stance an motion, and using plyometrics-I do as well!

On a weekly basis we work on relaxation an visulization, goals, and getting in the "zone". It does not always take hold with every athlete, some cannot let their mind relax and "see" what they need to accomplish, but when they come tell me they are dreaming about matches it is hard to argue against the mental aspect.

Finally a last little tid-bit someone told me once. "They will never love wrestling as much as you do!" coach Lee Woodford.

Hope to see ya soon buddy, and I hope you are doing well, the knee is fine by the way, but now I dislocated a pinkie!

Brown

Jason C. Brown
Head Coach Anderson County JR/SR High
jbrown@usd365.org
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 419 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)