I just got back from Missouri Open... What a great day. My boys looked a little flat last week after all the weight cutting but really redeamed themselves this week. Jarrett got his pic with this article and the two he lost were both by 1 point. Jordan has been working hard to keep his weight at 141 and wrestled very well today and was only 1 match away from the medal rounds.

I know Alvin wrestled but it was hard to keep up as MU doesn't have great sitting options.

I saw Jesse Strawn wrestle, he looks great. Nick Shumate got 5th in 141, also doing very well.

Many KS boys are doing great but I can't think of more at this late hour. It is such to joy to see them all fulfilling there dreams on the mat.

Hope to see many more at Ft. Hays in 2 weeks.

Rookie Leads Bronchos
Courtesy: UCO Media Relations
Release: 11/18/2007

Courtesy: UCO Photo Services
http://www.bronchosports.com/
Jarrett Edison

COLUMBIA, Mo. (Nov. 18) -- Freshman Trey Branscum's runner-up showing was the best finish for injury-plagued Central Oklahoma at the rugged Missouri Open here Sunday.

The defending national champion Bronchos had four top-six placers in the all-day tournament that attracted individuals from more than 20 teams, with Branscum finishing second at 133 pounds in the freshman-sophomore division to lead the way. Jarrett Edison was fourth at 197 in the freshman-sophomore portion of the tournament, while 149 Colby Robinson and 184 Heath Jolley both took sixth in the open division.

UCO competed without several front-liners, who sat out with nagging injuries. National champion Kyle Evans (141), All-American Tyler Zukerman (125), Zach Sikes (165) and Tommy McCarty (174) were among those who didn't wrestle for the Bronchos in the second open tournament of the season.

"It was a tough tournament and we didn't have a great outing by any means," UCO coach David James said. "The big thing is we had a lot of our younger guys get more mat time and additional experience. We still have to learn how to win what I call the "tough" matches and that's something we're going to work on."

Branscum, the frontrunner to take over as the starter at 133 this season, won four matches in making the finals. The rookie opened with a 16-2 major decision, following with an 8-4 second-round win, scored a second-period fall in the quarterfinals and pulled out an 8-6 semifinal victory before falling to McKendree's Wade Lowe 5-1 for the title.

Edison won six matches in taking third as the redshirt freshman bounced back strong from an early-round loss. He opened the tournament with a second-period fall, then lost 2-1 in the second round before winning five straight matches by a combined 32-5 margin to make the consolation finals before losing a 6-5 decision to John Schoen of Northwestern.

Robinson fell to Northwestern's top-ranked Ryan Lang in the quarterfinals, coming back with two bonus-point wins in the consolations before losing two straight to take sixth. Jolley made it to the semifinals at 184, then dropped three straight matches in taking sixth.

The Bronchos are idle this weekend before returning to action at the Fort Hays State Open on Dec. 1.

Missouri Open
Freshman-Sophomore Division
Championship Finals
133 - Wade Lowe, McKendree, dec. Trey Branscum, UCO, 5-1.

Consolation Finals
197 - John Schoen, Northwestern, dec. Jarrett Edison, UCO, 6-5.

Open Division
Fifth Place
149 - Ryan Moyer, Lindenwood, dec. Colby Robinson, UCO, 10-7 (SV).
184 - Dave Gleissner, Illinois, dec. Heath Jolley, 9-2.