Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: bockman] #137978 02/04/09 01:53 AM
nix Offline
jeff you keep your rules the same at your tournament, if you have to rely on people who do not respect the rule you have set fourth and thats in the rule book then let them go else where those people do not respect you or the rules.

no less it is against the law to have on school grounds, but on the same hand no smoking on school grounds as well.

oh and this is coming from someone who has broken every rule if's a law or a rule in a rulebook or just what the director of that tournament has asked. you have every right not to attend there tournament.

this will be the test jeff please let us know your numbers next year, i sure would like to know if your numbers drop because of a rule.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: nix] #137981 02/04/09 01:58 AM
nix Offline
dam i was going to the movies tommorrow with my wife, but i just found out they do not allow smoking in the theater, i am told that if you get caught smoking while watching the movie they throw you out.

what nerve do these people have throwing me out for not following there rules. guess i will never see another movie at a theater. lmao

i know smoking and chewing are not the same but a rule is.

my wife is going to be mad.

Last edited by nix; 02/04/09 01:59 AM.

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: nix] #137984 02/04/09 02:11 AM
nix Offline
and by the way i am a smoker, and i do chew somtimes not that often but i am not against either one of those. all i am saying is if they say now chewing or cigs i can go all day with out either and i would be the same.

i sure am not going to boycott a tournament for some chew or cig's. and the post above was a joke i can sit at a theater and watch a movie without a cig. and not be a jerk to my wife because i need the nicotine.

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: nix] #137985 02/04/09 02:14 AM
usawks1 Offline
For some reason I just had visions of Nix sitting in a theatre with an unlit cigarette ... ala the WPT!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: nix] #137987 02/04/09 02:28 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Randy,

I agree with you and Nix 110 percent regarding the previous post. How can you tell your kids that they are not going to a top notch wrestling tournament against top notch wrestlers because they won't let our coaches dip in the gym? That is the goofiest thing that I have heard in a long time (I wanted to say stupidest but I didn't want to offend anyone). The old adage that rules are meant to be broken may apply in certain situations, but not at the expense of young adults who are working their tails off in one of the most difficult sports that they can compete in at their age.

Jeff, I am sure that the club my son wrestles with will be back next year, mainly because of the great competition, hospitality and professionalism that this tournament is known for.

Lee Girard
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: rassler] #138000 02/04/09 03:20 AM
J
Jeff Broadbent Offline OP
OP Offline
J
rassler,

First I want to say that I have never claimed to be perfect, but I do try to set a good example in front of the kids I coach not only on the mat, but also on the football field and on the baseball diamond.

With that said, I would like to know who you are because I can see to it that your team will not be allowed at the Mill Valley Invitational next year or any year there after as long as I am the Tourney Director, if that is your wish.

People, dont take this personally, but I will abide by the rule book as best I know how.

My whole point of this thread was to bring to the forefront the use of tobacco products is a violation of our rules. It is also bad for you, and sets a bad example for those small impressionable kids that you work with each and every day.

rassler - please PM me. Your identity will not be disclosed.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138003 02/04/09 03:24 AM
B
bigdad79 Offline
B
where do you coach football Jeff?

Last edited by bigdad79; 02/04/09 03:25 AM.
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: bigdad79] #138007 02/04/09 03:30 AM
J
OP Offline
J
In the Blue Valley Football League.

Great organization.

And no I will not have chew on the sidelines. :-)

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138009 02/04/09 03:32 AM
B
bigdad79 Offline
B
how does it compare to the heritage league?

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: bigdad79] #138010 02/04/09 03:34 AM
B
bigdad79 Offline
B
im looking for a change our coach is a whackadoodle!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: bigdad79] #138012 02/04/09 03:42 AM
J
OP Offline
J
bigdad79 clear your pm. trying to send info to you.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138013 02/04/09 03:43 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted By: rassler
Follow the rules. Either shave or sit its that simple.

Managed to pull up an old quote from rassler....

Quite an amazing concept isnt it rassler...

Read it carefully.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138018 02/04/09 03:58 AM
B
bigdad79 Offline
B
should be clear jeff

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: nix] #138024 02/04/09 09:13 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: nix

no less it is against the law to have on school grounds, but on the same hand no smoking on school grounds as well.

I do not believe that is true. I think it is illegal to smoke IN school buildings in this state. Not sure about smokeless tobacco but if a school district does not want to allow smoking anywhere on their properties they have to pass their own rules regarding such.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: sportsfan02] #138025 02/04/09 10:55 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Not sure about smokeless tobacco
Smokeless tobacco is a tobacco product and is banned in school BUILDINGS by Kansas Statute.

72-53,107
Chapter 72.--SCHOOLS
Article 53.--MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS
72-53,107. Tobacco products, use in school buildings prohibited; school building defined. (a) The use of tobacco products in any school building is hereby prohibited. No board of education of any school district shall allow any person to use tobacco products in any school building.

(b) As used in this section, the term "school building" means any enclosed building used for pupil attendance purposes by the board of education of a unified school district. The term school building does not include a building, or part thereof, used for residential purposes or leased from the school district for nonschool sponsored activities.

History: L. 1988, ch. 229, § 1; July 1.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: usawks1] #138027 02/04/09 11:30 AM
Mike Furches Offline
Tell you what Jeff, regarding coaches and teams not showing up. I will be officiating again come spring. I will also be back on the mat next year as I am taking this year off to enjoy my son. That said, you want the rules enforced, I will gladly do my best to enforce all the rules next year if you need an official. I may not agree with the rules, i.e. I don't agree with the ejection of a coach, parent or fan for this particular rule, however, as an official, there is a commitment and responsibility to enforce the rules, including this one. If people don't like the rule, get it modified as USAWKS modifies rules for kids’ events, otherwise, any official who picks and chooses which rules to enforce or not, runs the risk of ruining the sport. I for one admire a coach and club that want all of the rules enforced. If your attendance is down because you as a tournament decide to enforce all rules, then I will gladly donate a large portion of my services to help out with the overall costs and loss. For some reason though, I don’t think this will be an issue. I have been hearing about some people not going to certain tournaments from year to year, and the bottom line, there are always others to replace those few.

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Mike Furches] #138033 02/04/09 12:12 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
USAW Kansas does not attempt to regulate adult decisions regarding adult health issues.

USAW Kansas does follow the rules as set forth by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) unless modified by our State Association.

The NFHS Coaches Code of of Ethics is primarily directed toward High School coaches and personnel, however the Code of Ethics is in the NFHS Wrestling Rules Book which USAW Kansas does follow

BY-LAWS
SECTION III: TOURNAMENT OPERATIONS
PART A – SANCTIONED FOLKSTYLE TOURNAMENTS

3. All sanctioned tournaments must comply with the rules in the annual publication by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFSHSA), unless otherwise specified in this document.

NFSHSA - Coaches Code of Ethics

The Coaches Code of Ethics

The function of a coach is to educate students through participation in interscholastic competition. An interscholastic program should be designed to enhance academic achievement and should never interfere with opportunities for academic success. Each student-athlete should be treated as though he or she were the coaches' own, and his or her welfare should be uppermost at all times. Accordingly, the following guidelines for coaches have been adopted by the NFCA Board of Directors.

The coach shall be aware that he or she has a tremendous influence, for either good or ill, on the education of the student-athlete and, thus, shall never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest ideals of character.

The coach shall uphold the honor and dignity of the profession. In all personal contact with student-athletes, officials, athletic directors, school administrators, the state high school athletic association, the media, and the public, the coach shall strive to set an example of the highest ethical and moral conduct.

The coach shall take an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol and tobacco abuse.

The coach shall avoid the use of alcohol and tobacco products when in contact with players.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: RichardDSalyer] #138034 02/04/09 12:23 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Better yet:

Check out #4!

USA WRESTLING - KANSAS, INC.
COACH'S/TEAM LEADER'S CODE OF CONDUCT

1. Coaches and Team Leaders representing USA Wrestling – Kansas, Inc. (USAWKS) in state, regional, national, and international events (including but not limited to training camps and other team or meet functions) will conduct themselves in a way that will bring honor to their team, state, and country.

2. Coaches and Team Leaders must be considerate of other communities’, states’ and countries' laws, customs, and morals.

3. Coaches and Team Leaders, by agreeing to participate in an event, assume responsibility for the well being of the athletes participating in the event. This is a great responsibility! It is the Coaches' and Team Leaders' responsibility to supervise the athletes, to encourage proper behavior by the athletes, and to ensure the athletes' well being and safety. Each Coach and Team Leader is expected to display appropriate behavior and language while performing their assigned responsibilities.

4. Coaches and Team Leaders shall not consume alcoholic beverages or use tobacco products during such times that they are assigned duties with regard to the athletes. In no instance shall alcohol be consumed or tobacco products be used in the presence of an athlete. Coaches or Team Leaders that elect to partake of alcoholic beverages or use tobacco products outside the presence of the athletes, during unassigned time, are expected to do so responsibly. Coaches who partake of alcoholic beverages are expected to report for their assigned duties in an unimpaired condition.

5. Coaches and Team Leaders shall not participate in any illegal activity or encourage athletes to participate in any illegal activity.

I _______________________________, have read and understand the Coach's/Team Leader's Code of Conduct and agree to abide by the terms and conditions in this agreement. I also realize that failure to execute the terms and conditions of this Coach's/Team Leader's Code of Conduct shall subject me to possible disciplinary actions, including but not limited to suspension or termination of privileges and rights associated with any and all USAWKS activities. Disciplinary problems will be investigated by the Team Leader, Assistant Team Leader and/or Head Coach and subsequently by the USAWKS Board of Directors. After investigation, if immediate disciplinary action is deemed necessary, the Team Leader, Assistant Team Leader, and/or Head Coach shall take appropriate action and shall promptly report the action to the USAWKS Board of Directors. The USAWKS Board of Directors shall have right to fully investigate all failures in executing the terms and conditions of the Coach's/Team Leader's Code of Conduct and to impose additional disciplinary action if deemed appropriate.

Coach/Team Leader Signature:________________________________ Date: _____________

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: Jeff Broadbent] #138038 02/04/09 01:07 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
When you have parents that happen to be coaches and also happen to use tobacco products, at what point do they cease being a coach and become a parent again and can use tobacco products or alcohol in the presence of their child?

Re: Chewing Tobacco at Tournaments!! [Re: sportsfan02] #138048 02/04/09 01:30 PM
in it to win it Offline
Really doesn't matter sportsfan -- tobacco products are prohibited within the gymnasium, this is a rule far and beyond USAW-KS.

In it to win it.
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 482 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)