Officials have it at their discretion to control the mat. I was personally impressed this weekend with Shane Koranda, at his ability to control a match, including controlling his mat of spectators. Some assume the issue of video doesn’t occur in HS matches, wrong, it does, but the officials do a much better job of controlling the situation. I think part of that isn’t that the officials at kids events don’t try to do this, but at a HS event, it is understood that when an official ejects someone from a tournament, it is the officials decision. Tournament directors have to support the application of all rules in an event, including the officials’ decision to eject someone if they are unwilling to follow the rules. One of the things that impressed me about Shane this week was his ability to do this in a respectful way that got the results he wanted, while at the same time, getting his point across.

There doesn’t seem to be so much of an issue of video or not, but of keeping the two coaches in a corner, and everyone else not only off the mat, but away from the mat. The safety of the wrestlers, is a part of the officials responsibility, this includes controlling the number of people on or around the mat.