Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: 2coach] #140967 02/25/09 03:02 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: 2coach
I have a question to ask? Mr. Cokeley, I feel you could probably answer it the best. But I would not mind input from others also. I was at the 6A regionals in Dodge City, a kid got hurt, it was knee. Injury timeout starts, he gets up walks around, goes to his corner drinks water and continues to wrestle, that seems okay cause he did look like he got hurt. Now this is a different match, with different kids. Kid gets an injury timeout, goes to his corner gets a drink of water comes back and wrestles, he does this two or three other times, during the match. The only thing is, he did not seem hurt, it looked like he was just getting a drink, or tired and taking a break. Is that legal or a ref call, I do not get it? I've seen this all over, in kids and high school, not all the time just with a few wrestlers. So I guess my question is, is that fair can you get a injury timeout, so you can get a drink of water and take a break from your match???

You are allowed two injury time outs. They are basically on the honor system but that doesn't stop some from using them to catch their breath! You get two minutes of injury time. After the 2nd injury time out the opponent gets choice of position (depending on when this happens it can get a little complicated). If you call for a 3rd injury time out the match is over due to injury default. You only have one minute and 30 seconds of total injury time during those two timeouts. If you run out of time and cannot continue the match is over. Injury default. If there is blood it is a whole different set of circumstances.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: tigermonkey12] #140968 02/25/09 03:03 AM
B
Boomer24 Offline
B
good point tigermonkey

Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: tigermonkey12] #140972 02/25/09 03:21 AM
bawoody Offline
Jeff,
Yes, the injured wrestler did win and he only took 2 timeouts and gave up position when he did

Bruce Woodruff
Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: tigermonkey12] #140977 02/25/09 04:09 AM
S
Shelstin Offline
S
There may be something going on here that we don't know about. I had a kid several years ago that had a few broken ribs. People thought that he was out of shape, and I got criticized for that. The thing is, he had a few broken ribs, they hurt, it was tough to practice, I gave him days off, and yeah, he wasn't in the best shape. But, it was late in the season and he was going to wrestle. We took our time outs and got our water, and he ended up with a title. Very, very few people knew the real issue, for obvious reasons. Not even in our own town. There are still some people here that think that he was just out of shape or not training, but I think he was pretty dang tough! Things may not always be as they seem.

Last edited by Shelstin; 02/25/09 04:14 AM.

Rick Cue
ExHC
Ulysses
Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: tigermonkey12] #140985 02/25/09 12:08 PM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
He won, don't ask me how. If you read my original post my guestion, is asking if it is fair or not, by that I was asking if there was a rule on that. Thank you all for the feed back.

Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: Boomer24] #140987 02/25/09 12:31 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Boomer24
good point tigermonkey

Not really if the non-time-out wrestler has momentum going his way, then he is put at a great disadvantage when the other STOPS that momentum to use an injury time-out. But, they are in the rulebook so he can 'fairly' do it. Obviously it is unethical if he isn't really hurt but that is just another can of worms.

Related: Somebody was putting a whipping on Ali once (I think it was when Cooper knocked Ali down at the end of a round - Ali was pretty much 'saved' by the bell'). During his time in the corner - Ali's trainer pulled the stitching out of Ali's glove. Then runs to the ref and says, "look! Look!" It takes another 2 minutes to get Ali ANOTHER set of gloves. Many, many years later - Dundee admitted to doing this to give his man more time to recover. Which he did and he came back and won the fight with a KO.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: Dean Welsh] #140990 02/25/09 12:41 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
As the ref stated to me in a PM - he can be held LIABLE in a court of law if a kid/coach request a timeout and he makes a judgement call such as, "NAH, your kid is doing just fine..." And, then two seconds later the kid passes out.

Unnecessary risk on the ref's part. If they ask, grant it. It his its limits (time and frequency). And, as Cokely stated, "its on the honor system." Some of us have more honor than others. Some of us like to bend the rules fairly to whatever advantage we like to tweak out of it.

Some great bike racers have actually STOPPED and WAITED when they have seen that their opponent has crashed. Armstrong has done this before. He still won. His main competitor from Germany (Jan Ulrich) did this once. He lost. However, he did get "Sportsman of the Year" from many publications/organizations.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: Dean Welsh] #141011 02/25/09 02:45 PM
W
Wag Offline
W
I've filed 3 reports with KSHSAA over my 11 years officiating wrestling. One was for some unnecessary verbal abuse by a coach (at a flippin JV tourney!) and the other two were to report what I thought was unethically using the injury timeouts. As an official, all you can do is grant the timeout and file a report if you think it was unethical. I don't know what ever came of those two situations, but at least I did what I could do.
Bottom line - like a lot of other rules, it sucks. Rules are rules and all we can do is make sure they are applied correctly. The ethics and morality are left up to the coach and wrestler.

Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: Dean Welsh] #141014 02/25/09 02:59 PM
E
esj Offline
E
I'm not sure about how the rules differ from H.S. to college,but one of my favorite college wrestlers (2time AA)and sure to make it his 3rd this year calls T.O in most if not all of his matches.He may be the most talented wrestler in D-II but his gas tank usually needs a little recharge mid-match. He's not the only one,this seems to be a common tactic in college wrestling.Just wave your finger in a circle and its drink time.I have never seen him do this to get out of trouble,probably because he is seldom in trouble.

Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: esj] #141022 02/25/09 03:31 PM
2coach Offline OP
OP Offline
Well then I think he should go play basketball, there the coach can take him out so he can recharge himself. Man this is wrestling, the greatest sport there is. To me that's a chicken #### way to wrestle. Sorry to all those that this offends(basketball players).

Re: Injury Timeouts [Re: Shelstin] #141216 02/26/09 04:46 PM
C
Coach Prieto Offline
C
Rick, I think he was out of shape!!! Just kidding, but I'm curious to know which kid it was that went on to win it with broken ribs...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 482 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)