Interesting thread. Conjures up memories of arguments past.

On the one hand, the athlete who aspires towards greatness, or at least,to be associated with the elite athletes of his chosen athletic endeavor,will likely focus his exclusive talents and attention on that given sport - to the exclusion of all others. (I suspect this is more common in the "larger" schools)

That particular athlete's motivation could also be financial, such as to enhance his prospects to receive a necessary or helpful athletic scholarship(or in the case of a recent Maize graduate - to preserve the opportunity to take advantage of a lucrative professional baseball contract)

As often as not, his athleticism and/or talents would be very welcome in other athletic endeavors and would likely prove to be a welcome addition, should he decide to participate.

His parents, to the best of their abilities, will devote their considerable time, talents and otherwise lend their financial resources to their son's quest.

On the other hand, we have some steller, exceptionally talented and gifted, athletes who still choose to participate in several different athletic endeavors (Bell, from Wichita Bishop Carroll,immediately comes to mind) He endures the "risk of injury" (potentially impairing scholarship opportunities), perhaps allows his skills in his "best" sport to "idle" a bit, while he chooses to participate in several sports endeavors.

Which path is best?

I certainly would not deign to weigh in with an opinion on this issue. Take for example, Ryne Cokely. Ryne is presumably one of the better or best wrestlers in the state of Kansas, and certainly a known presence on the national stage. From comments I have read on this forum, Ryne has chosen "wrestling", as his passion and his preferred athletic endeavor. Ryne is fortunate to have the enviable support of his parents and the unquestionable desire,discipline and intestional fortitude to allow for successful competition at the highest level. Let's hope it serves him and his family well!

Simarly, we have a Colt Rogers - an equally amazing athlete, who decided, presumably, for his own reasons, to be a multi-sport competitor. And, from what I've read: what an amazing athlete he is! I'd venture a guess that Colt's parents (not unlike the Cokeley's) have made considerable investments of their time, talents and finances in their son's athletic endeavors.

I suppose my point is that the "Cokely's",the "Roger's", and all parent's who support the efforts of their children of our state should be applauded,commended, and perhaps exalted for the presumed investment(be it time, finances or otherwise) they have obviously made in the lives of their sons.

Call it a hunch: Colt and Ryne will be all-right. They have the enviable love and support of very involved parents!

Then we have the athlete who