What really amazed me last year was some of the 8th graders who either won or were finalists a year ago like Furches, Detmer and Kolmer (actually a 7th grader a year ago). I apologize if I missed mentioning any other 8th grade finalists from last year. Every year it seems like there are those that break thru and do that.

It is difficult though for the majority of the 8th graders to compete against the 9th graders. There is a big advantage to practicing and competing 6 days a week against faster and stronger upper classmen. My son wrestle mostly JV meets this year but he did get in a couple of varsity meets. There is a difference even there between JV competition and varsity competition. You have to get use to a higher level of speed and strength.

It is true that every wrestler will have their time at the top of two year age brackets but our family would have been okay with a change this year of going to a 7th and 8th grade type of bracket and a 9th and 10th grade bracket. My son has wrestled wrestlers from every high school class this year. Because he practiced 5 days a week with the freshman thru seniors, I believe it would be fairer for him to face sophomores and other freshmen in the post season than for him to be competing against 8th graders who did not get the opportunity to practice as often and against older competition.

I have been an advocate of an all grade school State tournament like Missouri has for a number of years. I would like to see a separate post season high school folkstyle competition that our USAW-KS organization would sponspor that could serve as the Grand High School State that so many would like to see. This competition could have a JV and Open divisions. I have not changed my mind on these issues now that my son is a 9th grader. These are just my thoughts and preferences. I know a lot of you do not agree but I think some do.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions