Do I think the Freshmen wrestler have an advantage over the 8th graders? I think it depends on each wrestlers. I think some some freshmen will be advantaged due to the competition and the practice partners they have had the opportunity to experience during the first part of the season. The practice partner is a big thing. I know due to the lack of a practice partner, my son has been practicing with one of his coaches. Where this is good in some ways, I do see my son not going full out with him, due to respect. So I actually don't know if it is a good practice partner for him or not.
As for the competition. We knew the first part of the season would give very little competition, we tried to take him to some "tougher" tournaments vs. all local ones. It has proven to be a smart move. Do I think he will have tougher competition starting this week? Sure. Do I think he will still be able to compete and even beat some of these freshmen? Absolutely.
Someone earlier said it is a two year spread just like every other division. I agree and I also think the freshman can be compared to the younger wrestlers that gets the advantage by being able to travel for tougher competition and attending private lessons or even at an academy in the younger divisions.
There will be an advantage for most of the freshman, but they are still part of the division as of now and I think if our 8th graders are serious about beating them, they need to give 100% over the next 3 weeks and get ready for Subs.

Genia Vincent
Olathe Wrestling Club