Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: RJW1] #167089 03/30/10 10:50 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I think 321A would still be together as one class in wrestling?

The proposal doesn't say that. It was acrossed the board in all sports according to the proposers. Also the verbage does not say that.

Art. 1: All member senior high schools shall be divided into
eight classes- 6A, 5A, 4A1, 4A2, 3A, 2A, 1A and All Private.
Class 6A shall include the thirty-two (32) public
high schools with the largest enrollments; Class 5A the
next thirty-two (32) public high schools; Class 4A1 the
next thirty-two (32) public high schools; Class 4A2 the
next thirty-two (32) public high schools; Class 3A the
next sixty-four (64) public high schools; Class 2A the next
forty-eight (48) public high schools and Class 1A , the
remainder public high schools; and an all Private school
classification.

Water me down. It is a tsunami tidal wave.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #167096 03/30/10 12:17 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
The KIAAA (Athletic Adminstrators) recently voted in favor 27-4 for splitting the 4A class into two divisions for post-season assignments. This is a proposal that they would then take to the state.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Brent Lane] #167098 03/30/10 12:28 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Given that, I would suggest if most wrestling coaches/fans are in favor of keeping 4A intact as is, that we get ahead of the curve and ask our AD's to please include some kind of exception for wrestling.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: sportsfan02] #167119 03/30/10 01:28 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
The KIAAA (Athletic Adminstrators) recently voted in favor 27-4 for splitting the 4A class into two divisions for post-season assignments. This is a proposal that they would then take to the state.

Did they also vote to move private schools to their own division or would private schools 4A2 move to 4A1? What does KIAAA stand for? Kansas _____ Athletic Administration Association or what does it stand for?

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #167139 03/30/10 03:28 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
No, they actually voted down the proposal to split the private schools to their own division. The vote was 39 - 53, I am not sure why so many voted on this but not on the split of 4A.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: Brent Lane] #167160 03/30/10 04:41 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Brent: did all reps at the KIAAA vote on the 4A proposal, or just the 4A reps?

Smokey: The "I" in KIAAA = Interscholastic

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: GregMann] #167164 03/30/10 04:46 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G

Smokey,

You reference Rule 5, Article I in regards to classification of high schools.

I would refer you to page 20 of the KSHSAA Handbook: Article XII: "Classification of Senior High Schools" Based on sections #2 & #3 I do not see 321A being divided for wrestling any time in the near future. One less thing for you to be agitated about.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: GregMann] #167226 03/31/10 12:27 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
"One less thing for you to be agitated about." Just a little!
I want answers.

The KIAAA vote 27 -3 for one thing (4A1 and 4A2) I thought there were 64 schools in 4A. Another vote was 39-53 to keep private schools was that a KSHSAA vote. The numbers do not add up. Help me out on who gets to vote for what.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #167227 03/31/10 12:29 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Does the KIAAA also have a Website and how is this organization funded? Members - I know that.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #167230 03/31/10 12:42 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i don't think any private or public school has dominated forever. some seem to think that private schools success goes on forever. name one that has. public schools come and go too, nothing lasts forever.

this whole proposal, further adds to the pussification of our kids.

it's just not right, but what do i know.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: HEADUP] #167233 03/31/10 12:52 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Smokey,

The KIAAA vote was at the KIAAA State Convention. Therefore it was only a vote of those present. I was not there but I am guessing the 4A proposal was voted on by the 4A ADs who were present and the P/P porposal was voted on by all the ADs in attendance since there are P/P schools in every classification except 6A.

KIAAA is funded by individaul member's dues and KIAAA convention registrations.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: GregMann] #167241 03/31/10 01:25 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
"KIAAA is funded by individual member's dues and KIAAA convention registrations." - In the school budget does it show up as professional fees/dues, meals, lodging, etc. The school pays their salary - which is funded by - well you know.

I guess at a time when the Kansas House has school district consolidation bills back on the table acrossed the state that may be affective in 2012. It just doesn't make sense to put a larger financial burden on individual high schools.

Kansas House to Debate School Consolidation
HB 2704

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) - Kansas House members are scheduled to debate a bill that would reduce the state aid for some small school districts.
The bill on Tuesday's calendar is viewed as a means to force districts with enrollments of fewer than 200 students and fewer than 200 square miles to consolidate. They are the same provisions that were used in the 1960s when Kansas last forced school districts to consolidate.
Those smaller districts would see the state aid given to low-enrollment districts reduced to the same level as those with 200 students. The change would take effect on July 1, 2012.
As originally proposed, the bill would have included districts with fewer than 400 students, but was amended by the House Education Committee to the lower limit.
---
School consolidation is HB 2704.
On the Net:
Kansas Legislature: http://www.kslegislature.org
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
AP-NY-03-09-10 0502EST

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #167250 03/31/10 01:57 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
The bill you reference would affect four school districts.
It has been sent to a conference committee; probably will not see the light of day again this session.

The 1960's consolidation criterion were as follows: (1) at least 400 students OR (2) at least 200 square miles OR (3) at least $2 million valuation

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: GregMann] #167504 04/02/10 08:52 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was informed this week that the proposal to split 4A was poorly written BUT was only intended for football. The thought is, that once rewritten that proposal will pass. So all the other sports will likely stay as they were before. This does not effect the proposal to bump up private schools one class.

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: sportsfan02] #167508 04/02/10 10:53 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Good info 02. That is what I was thinking was the case; nothing else about the split was making much sense.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: GregMann] #167568 04/03/10 09:55 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

Even big schools feel pinch

Even at the handful of schools that usually run a surplus, times are tough. At Ohio State, ticket and concession sales are down. "The behavior of our customer has changed, and it will be that way for quite some time," athletics director Smith says.

"It just says the economy sucks out there," says athletics director Lew Perkins of Kansas, where expenses outpaced revenue for the first time since 1988, according to the department. Athletic departments are "spending what they have to. What's happened is the revenues, because of the economy, are going one way and our expenditures — travel, all those kinds of things — are going up and up and up. Tuition goes up. You have no control over it."

But Perkins acknowledges having control over what KU pays coaches, and its highest-paid by far is men's basketball's Bill Self. In 2007, Self was guaranteed $1.6 million. That season, the Jayhawks were a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament and advanced to the round of eight. In 2008, they won the national title as Self's alma mater — rival Oklahoma State — was looking for a new coach. He spurned Oklahoma State, and KU responded with a new deal that this season guarantees him nearly $3.4 million.

"We felt like after a national championship ... we wanted to put him in the top five or 10 highest-paid coaches," Perkins says, "and that's about where he is right now."

Perkins says the budget crunch will ease. "We're not in a panic mode at all," Perkins adds. "We think we're going to be fine. Everybody, Ohio State and all these other schools, I think we just have to manage our dollars differently than we did before. ... But you can't stop the operation."

At Kansas, the men's basketball players took a few more trips by bus instead of plane this season. Michigan State cut overall expenses in 2009, and conference meetings across the nation this spring are expected to focus on ways to trim budgets. An NCAA panel is reviewing the recent proliferation in athletic department employees. "We're trying to make (the department) as lean and mean as possible," Houston's Carlucci says. "But we're paying for talent. We're in a competition for fans (in the Houston area). When Sumlin wins, we can count on more ticket sales."

Carlucci paused, then prefaced his next comment with a rhetorical question.

"Is this heresy? It's like any other entertainment business."

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: smokeycabin] #167858 04/07/10 05:25 AM
R
rejones Offline
R
The success of private schools in high school sports can be attributed to a number of things. I'm sure I have missed some, but a few are listed below:

1. They can have a bigger pool to draw from.
2. It is easier to recruit. Even if it's only the parents.
3. It is easier for a kid to transfer if they are not happy with their school
4. People who are willing to spend the money to send their kid to a private school may be a competitive over-achiever, raising an over-achiever kid.
5. Expectations. Private schools have a history of expecting more from the kids in all areas.
6. Parental and community support. People who are willing to pay to send their kids to private schools, tend to get nvolved.
7. Private schools do not have to accept kids who are problems
8. Participation rates in private schools tend to be higher.
9. Many of the parents who have the money to send their kids to private schools are also paying for coaching and other help. This is particularly true in Soccer. It has become an affluent sport with paid coaches most of the year.
10. Tradition builds interest. Rockhurst, like Hutch, has had success. That success will spark interest in kids who would go there anyway, but also kids who may not have gone there otherwise.

Considering that there are a number of bigger private schools that are Catholic schools, there are some unique things the Catholics have or do.
1. Catholic youth sports have been big for a long time. Particularly Football, Basketball and Volleyball. The Catholics have leagues for kids in these sports starting in 3rd grade. The public schools start in middle school, junior high or high school. In many cases, the Catholics have been playing longer and together longer.
2. Tradition. Sports are big in Catholic communities. A Catholic High school without a state championship in football is considered a failure. Someone told me that Aquinas had 40+ seniors on the football team a couple of years ago when they lost to Hutch in the state championship. There is no way they all got to play.

All of these things CAN also be seen in public schools. Goddard and Emporia have strong wrestling programs for many of the same reasons. When Glen Wier(?) was coaching football in Olathe, kids were moving into the district to play for him. It does happen. It has been reported that in affluent areas, parents are offered jobs and the people doing the recruiting explain to the parent what the best schools is, ie moving their kid into that district. In general, you could argue a similar advantage for affluent school districts over less affluent school districts.

Missouri does have a rule that bumps the private schools up a class. This was primarily driven by the success Rockhurst has had in football. While Rockhurst is an example of a school that probably should be bumped up a class and can compete in that class, there are other private schools in Missouri that are negatively impacted and some sports, even at Rockhurst, that are negatively impacted. Rockhurst has NEVER won a wrestling state championship. I don't think they have ever won a regional. I'm not sure if they have ever won a tournament.

I don't think the smaller private schools have the same success or the "advantage". Last I heard, Christ Prep in Johnson County was playing 8 man football. They must not be doing too much recruiting if they can't field an 11 man team. Bishop Ward in Johnson County has had a strong baseball program, but I don't thin they have excelled in any other sports.

My point here is that not all private schools have an advantage and the reasons for the "advantage" are varied. People need to think those things through before "solving the problem".

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: rejones] #167867 04/07/10 12:47 PM
S
shudog Offline
S
Good point. Because of the success of a few private schools, the rest will be pentalized? What are we telling our kids? Maybe we can all learn something from the programs that are successful, both private and public. Private schools are not the only schools that receive students out of a district. I know of kids traveling 25 to 30 miles to attend public schools that live in a different district. Thats in Western Kansas. How much does this happen in the KC and Wichita areas? Will the multiplier be applied to any school that receives students out of district?

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: shudog] #167876 04/07/10 02:17 PM
M
mfe Offline
M
I guess they will be trying to divide the public and private universities into separete National Basketball Championships since two private schools were in the finals! Butler and Duke. This was an enjoyable game to watch. The players all were very disciplined in controlling their emotions and it wasn't all about "ME". The public schools could do the same thing if they had the guts to slap the sh!!!! out of the trouble makers and make them be a TEAM!

Re: Would somebody please get Cokeley a sedative [Re: mfe] #167891 04/07/10 04:26 PM
WillyM Offline
My My MFE. Such language. I quess we could start by slapping the public school kids you said looked and acted like pimps and prostitutes.

I have figured out why private church based schools win so many high school championships nationwide. Students teachers, coaches and parents of these schools must be more Godly, and therefore God wants and makes them win.!!!

HAS to be the reason!!!

To hamper their wining would be un-Godly and sinful and would probably result in all us public school heathens being sent immediately to hell (do not pass GO and do not collect $200)(are Christian non-believers heathens and Muslim non-believers infidels--or is it the other way around?????can't keep it straight!)

Last edited by Contrarian; 04/07/10 04:34 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 229 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,985
Posts250,444
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)