I think it would be an interesting case study to find out why parents are willing to spend the thousands of extra dollars every year to send their children to a private school. I don't know the percentages, but I bet only 20-25% of the private school students participate in sports. As a rhetorical question, why would they spend all that money just for the same education they can get at a public school? It's not just the extra religion class. Every church offers Sunday school and religious training for all children for far less than the cost of attending the catholic grade and high schools. I believe there is an intangible "more" they seek.

As far as recruiting for sports, I think the sports recruit for themselves by being great. Parents of athletes of all abilities may be trying to get the best coaching for their kids. Don't you think there may be some parents that are sending their kids to Goddard and Derby to wrestle instead of the private schools? How about Hutch in football? I'm sure the private schools would love to have some of those kids.

Another rhetorical question. In the 70's through mid 80's how many great football players from Kansas accepted "walk on" status and being an "average" player at Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas instead of taking a scholarship to KU or K-State and being the star? Why would they pay to go to those other schools when they could have gone locally for free? Maybe they felt that to reach their full potential and excel, they needed to be in the best programs and coached by the best coaches. When KU and K-State got those coaches, they kept a lot more local talent.

I can't blame a parent for wanting what they feel is best for their children, whether that is going to private school or forgoing private school to attend a great public school. I really doubt that the private school goes out to recruit athletes, but if a parent makes an inquiry, I'm sure the school tells them what they have to offer.

I would be curious to know how many students at the private schools get some financial aid that don't play sports at all. My bet is there are far more non-athletes than athletes getting aid.

Kirk Berggren