Originally Posted By: in it to win it
Will--
being from Healthcare I'd like to propose that you live 90" closest to your nearest hopsital that can provide you with acute medical services (GOD FORBID) that you would ever be that far away....during a cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, MVA, delivery of a child or a child in need of acute healthcare.

I would hope that you do not think it's an absurd waste of taxpayer $$ since the hospitals do receive a great deal of state & government funding.

Education for our children who may live in rural KS and our healthcare system is vital to the citizens of Kansas. This scenario would be a great deal different if you lived in New Jersey, Pennsylvania or in a more heavily populated area per square mile.

Careful Will, you might be opening Pandora's box.

Thought about it all. Who is going to pay? How convenient do we have to make it? The simple fact is that I am paying more than 60 cents to taxes for every dollar I earn and I am tired or paying for all those who cannot. At the end of the day it is all business. If you aren't comfortable living that far away from healthcare then MOVE. There are SO many falsely created jobs out there. If you started eliminating them then you wouldn't have so many rural communities BARELY existing. My favorite axe to grind... Greensburg, KS. 1250 people. No industry. Pratt and Bucklin less than 30 minutes away offering basically the same amenities. A freakish storm wipes out the town, of course it is tragic but we spend $160 million to rebuild a dead town???? I think 800 people remain there and we are calling it a "green" town to what end? Do the math... how many $$'s per person were spent? For goodness sakes. We could have written each family a check and helped them move. Pratt and Bucklin we have enjoyed propsperity for a period that they will never see and in a few years there might have been a convenience store by the well. Would that have been tragic? Heck no! Where was the common sense? If there isn't the kind of medical care you desire in an area it is because the market doesn't command it. The property values will be less and there will be lots of other lower cost of living factors that you can enjoy by enduringt the risk of having to travel an hour to get medical care. When you start assisting instead of letting the market drive the supply and demand then you screw up the whole economic system.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com