Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling #184351 02/27/11 12:31 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
The posts on this forum for the last few years have generated a long list of recurring “burning issues” for Kansas HS wrestling. I am going to list a few of those issues so perhaps the wrestling community can come together to get some of them in a package in front of the decision makers-first the school district superintendents, Athletic directors and the KSHSAA Executive Board and Boards of Directors-------not just the KSHSAA Executive and Assistan Executive Directors (Musselman and crew).

Here’s my list (this is not a prioritized list) of the issues I keep reading on the HS Forum.
1. One site (all four classes) State Tournament.
2. Dual State Tournament.
3. Wrestling at a Kansas D1 University.
4. Combine 5A and 6A classes.
5. Outside Kansas border travel distance increased, or travel restriction eliminated.
6. High school coaches work with their high school wrestlers out of season.
7. Coaches and wrestlers allowed to practice over Christmas break.
8. Eliminate the Christmas break (at least continue high school competition during part of the break)
9. Wrestlers allowed to travel/ wrestled non-KSHSAA competition/tournaments during Christmas break.
10. No five match rule.
11. One program/format for online websites of Regional’s and State Tournaments. For example: TRACKWRESTLING.COM, or a similar program.
12. KSHSAA telecast state tournaments.

I know I have missed many “burning issues’. Please feel free to add to my list---and prioritize the list if you comment.

KSHSAA will get a new Assistant Director for Wrestling this summer. The wrestling community needs to get a package of issues in front of the decision makers and then to the new AD for Wrestling and KSHSAA staff. There needs to be an organized campaign started this spring to get the package together. Initial tasks are to solicit more statewide burning issues, to poll and prioritize the list, and then recognize and publish the list as the wrestling community’s list. With the list in hand (perhaps a POWER POINT Format—paper copies and digital), wrestling smart members of the community to meet and discuss the list with their district superintendents, district ADs, principals and HS ADs, and to attend and present the list at conference/league meetings.

Nothing against coaches, but coaches, school administrators and ADs do not always agree with wrestlers, ex wrestlers, and parents on what may or may not be best for the sport. The above issues have been around for a while and the KWCA has not been able to get action on any of them at KSHSAA. And, to not attack or criticize anyone, but nasty grams back and forth between a parent and a KSHSAA administrator will also not get anything accomplished. To get anything done on any issue will require the concentrated efforts of the wrestling community as a whole: parents, coaches, wrestlers, ex-wrestlers, and referees. Let’s either get it together or stop gumming the issues to death.

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/27/11 12:41 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: WillyM] #184367 02/27/11 02:34 AM
Beeson Offline
3. is not within the power of KSHSAA or anyone else. It is a Universities decision only.

4. If we are gonna combine the 2 biggest classes, lets just put them all together and that will also solve 1., 11., and 12.

6., 7., and 8. are problems all sports in this season are faced with. These are not just wrestling problems.

The only items I see on this list that are possibilities are; 2., 5., and 10. Maybe this is where we need to start.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: Beeson] #184381 02/27/11 03:26 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the good comments.

#2,5, and 10 are good start points--simple and easy to understand.

Don't think KSHSAA will agree--even listen to, going against 5 match NHFS rule.

One site VS Dual state is an interesting argument. Think 4A, 5A and 6A (Kansas east of N/S line Concordia/Salina/Wichata) would vote for a one site. 321A (Western Kansas) will want to stay in Hays and probably vote for a Dual State.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: WillyM] #184423 02/27/11 02:35 PM
B
BluSpikes Offline
B
1. Was a great thing at one time but that time has passed
2. Dual State Tournament/ has a chance
3. Wrestling at a Kansas D1 University/someone from outside the college will have to fund it and get it started. Love it that the smaller colleges are taking advantage of the excellent Kansas westlers.
4. This one wont go-- the two largest classes and to combine them would cause chaos and confusion, while cutting some excllent wrestlers out of championships.
5. Outside Kansas border travel distance increased, or travel restriction eliminated.Cost effectivness,time away from school.
6. High school coaches work with their high school wrestlers out of season. Already doing it
7. Coaches and wrestlers allowed to practice over Christmas break. They do
8. Eliminate the Christmas break (at least continue high school competition during part of the break)Families and Christmas let me think-Im not seeing this one. What other states do this?
9. Wrestlers allowed to travel/ wrestled non-KSHSAA competition/tournaments during Christmas break. No Wrestling is a long season crossing the semester and kids wrestle over 40 matches--
10. No five match rule. think of the kids, injuries, not enuff rest between matches, hydration.
11. One program/format for online websites of Regional’s and State Tournaments. For example: TRACKWRESTLING.COM, or a similar program. This is GREAT.
there are plenty of streaming channels out there. It should be at least streamed.

thanks

Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: BluSpikes] #184487 02/27/11 06:46 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Missed a recurring "burning issue" on my original list: Grand State!

A note, in this financially strapped environment, adding events (Dual State or Grand State) will have added costs.

Don't know if consolidating to a one site state will save money or cost more than the current three state tournaments. Would think facility cost of a one site state would be less than three facility costs.

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/27/11 06:47 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: WillyM] #184489 02/27/11 06:50 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Remember, we are contractually obligated to Salina through 2013!

Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: sportsfan02] #184526 02/27/11 08:20 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i have some friends who moved to iowa while still in high school. older son wrestled 2 years in ks and 2 in iowa. younger son was iowa state champ as a senior. were both on state champion team for a couple of years.

talked with their dad a few times then, and more this past summer when they moved back "home".

his take on iowa wrestling..... the competition isn't that much better, top to bottom. but man it's a much bigger deal. fans pack the seats, television channels cover the matches, younger kids attend all duals. it's a much bigger deal in iowa.

1- how many of us are willing to miss a "kids" practice to attend the duals? and fill the stands.
2- how many miss take off the week of hs regionals/ state to follow the hs teams
3- the tv stations will make it a big deal if the fans do
4- maybe it's not the wrestlers who can't compete......maybe it's the fans

maybe if the attendance numbers were there, the kshsaa could do more.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: HEADUP] #184528 02/27/11 08:28 PM
Beeson Offline
I agree Headup. We never used to miss a practice for a High School Dual. We missed some tournaments for High School State, but rarely for Regionals. This year we made time for Home Duals and cancelled practices. We attended Regionals and High School State instead of wrestling tournaments. Did it hurt us to miss these practices and tournaments? NO it did not. Did it help the High School for us to support them? I would like to think so. Lastly I think that it is helping the little league to see what they are to become. To bring back some tradition. Supporting High School Wrestling is best for High Schools and Little League Teams, and that is Good for KANSAS WRESTLING.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: Beeson] #184573 02/27/11 10:35 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
you know my son didn't really understand how to score in wrestling until he watched a hs dual. now all of a sudden he likes wrestling a little more. the dragon seniors this year were only scheduled one home dual. they got "lucky" and moved a dual here after snow, etc. next time that dual is to be here it will have to be moved to the original host.

i just think about how many little kids are at high school football games. and how it seems to be a much bigger deal. let's start looking in the mirror and fix some of these things our selves. we can't blaim the kshsaa, if we don't fill the seats!!

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: WillyM] #184574 02/27/11 10:44 PM
10yrsAfter Offline
Contrarian:

All of your ideas are good ones, although not all practical.

Here’s my list (this is not a prioritized list) of the issues I keep reading on the HS Forum.
1. One site (all four classes) State Tournament.
3-2-1As will never leave Hays. It simply won't happen.
2. Dual State Tournament.
Should be done, immediately. We had a plan for it when I was on the KWCA committee 10 years ago. Get 'er done!
3. Wrestling at a Kansas D1 University.
Never. D-I programs are dropping left and right. Never going get KU, K-State or WSU to add it.
4. Combine 5A and 6A classes.
Agreed. Half of the kids in the class qualifying for State is a joke. But again, won't happen.
5. Outside Kansas border travel distance increased, or travel restriction eliminated.
Kansas has more liberal travel restrictions than a lot of states, including Iowa. The 500-mile rule is from any border; Colby could go 500 miles from KCK if they wanted to.
6. High school coaches work with their high school wrestlers out of season.
No sport gets to do this until school is out. Then it's wide open. Not going to change.
7. Coaches and wrestlers allowed to practice over Christmas break.
Other than a few days around Christmas Day, we always practiced over break. I used to have practice on New Year's Day (just for laughs!).
8. Eliminate the Christmas break (at least continue high school competition during part of the break)
Not going to happen.
9. Wrestlers allowed to travel/ wrestled non-KSHSAA competition/tournaments during Christmas break.
If I'm not mistaken, that's a national rule. Even if Kansas changed the rule, where would they go?
10. No five match rule.
Totally agree, but probably won't happen anytime soon.
11. One program/format for online websites of Regional’s and State Tournaments. For example: TRACKWRESTLING.COM, or a similar program.
Agreed.
It'd be great, but you'd have to find sponsors or get KPTV to do it.

Last edited by 10yrsAfter; 02/27/11 10:54 PM.

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: WillyM] #184576 02/27/11 10:59 PM
10yrsAfter Offline
Quote:
Nothing against coaches, but coaches, school administrators and ADs do not always agree with wrestlers, ex wrestlers, and parents on what may or may not be best for the sport.
Quote:

Sorry, but coaches, school administrators and the ADs are the best ones to decide what is best for the sport. They have to think in broad terms, not just for their own kids.

Jeff Holmes
Former coach
Current educator
Always a fan
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: 10yrsAfter] #184607 02/28/11 12:39 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry but think you are wrong. Coachs, school administratots and ADs have their own agendas, and do not always agree with the rest of the world. What they want is usually less rather than more---more means more work for them!

Don't need big brothers micro-managing our kids and their sports. Sometimes we know best what they can and can not do, and should have a say in the process and the results. Have seen coach comments on this forum telling parents to butt out when discussing recommendations to KSHSAA.

There is a lot of wrestling experience out there other than HS coaches: ex wrestlers (HS, colleg, national, international), current wrestlers, kids coaches and administrators, parents, long time fans). Should not leave that perspective and experience on the sidelines when discussing how to improve high school wrestling in Kansas.
Bill Mason
Lansing

Last edited by Contrarian; 02/28/11 01:56 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: WillyM] #184651 02/28/11 12:16 PM
B
BluSpikes Offline
B
Wrestling coaches, Athletic Directors, and wrestlers will make the decisions based on suggestions from parents, wrestlers and fans. The only agenda coaches have is making their sport better and improving his charges during the year. Not all Parents are bias in their decisions for their kids and a select few out there want to upgrade the sport.

To make changes at the KSHSAA coaches and AD's will have to persuade School Boards to pressure the association in to making those changes. coaches can suggest to KSHSAA but the listen but dont hear.

I would like to see a D-1 school in Kansas push for wrestling. Wichita State would be a great place to have it. It would have to have start up cost come from outside the school. The FTE money returned for the new students would benifit the Shockers academicly and the attention would help them with recruting athletes and students.

Re: What does Kansas really want for HS wrestling [Re: BluSpikes] #184752 02/28/11 06:05 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
One more thing to add to the list- Training for officials for more consistancy in calling stalling.

One match the call was quick. then the next they let the leading wrestler block and hang for ever.

Especially in the 215 and up weight classes.

The older I get the better I was!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 237 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,985
Posts250,444
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)