Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Independent vs. club wrestling #19118 03/28/06 03:20 AM
mat_crew_coach Offline OP
OP Offline
What are the pros and cons for going independent vs wrestling with a club. Any words of wisdom from both sides?

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19119 03/28/06 02:26 PM
Mike Furches Offline
practice partners and variety can never be replaced. Normally a club gives you that option.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19120 03/28/06 03:07 PM
Z
Zach F. Dad Offline
Z
I thought that if you were an independent wrestler you could not wrestle subs, dist. or state unless you joined a club.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19121 03/29/06 02:11 AM
OP Offline
What about the 1 on 1 attention that you lose in large clubs? And can't you sanction an independent club prior to the season start or qualifiers?

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19122 03/29/06 03:16 AM
usawks1 Offline
... then they become a club! Granted it may be a very small and exclusive club. But perhaps that is the real question?

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19123 03/29/06 04:07 AM
OP Offline
perhaps that is the question. What does it take to do so, and what are the downfalls?

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19124 03/29/06 04:32 AM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
This may be a bit off the subject, but our club has the policy that if you want to attend a tournament that the club does not "sponsor" then you must get permission from the Head Coach to attend under the club's name and if you get this permission you must wear the team uniform and act accordingly to the clubs rules and guidelines. If you do not get the permission to represent the club or if you do not ask for permission from the head coach then you must enter the event as an Independent. This issue has come up a few times but normally everyone follows the policy and normally the club will go to more than one event if there is enough interest in more than one event happening at the same time. For instance, The club took several wrestlers to Central/Burden tournament at the same time several others wanted to go to Liberty Nationals so the club sent two teams with full coaching support for both teams.

"Everything we do should be for the future of our children."
Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19125 03/29/06 03:16 PM
Nigel Isom Offline
http://www.usawks.com/instructions.htm

Everything you need to know. But im curious like Randy, why would you want to?

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19126 03/30/06 03:37 AM
OP Offline
I have coached our club for many years. My oldest son will be starting school wrestling next season. As the head coach I am having trouble neglecting the kids in the club to support my child. I want them to stay involved in Kids Club but scheduling will definately be a problem. I am trying to explore our options as a family so I may make an educated decision on how to advance them without hindering my child or our club. I don't feel comfortable being a part time head coach. I also have a younger child that will be in kids club for years to come. He also wants to support his older brother without having to sacrifice his own season. I have tried to look over various options, none of them seem to be 100% feasible for both sides. My club is very supportive, but We are not big enough to handle the loss of a coach, nor can my children adhere to our practice schedule and the middle school schedule at the same time. To my best assessment so far, I would be best to sanction myself and my boys. Then I could help them progress and help the club as much as possible. By no means is this a win/win, but so far it seems to be the best option. Thank You for all of the input thus far, it has been helpful. Anything further would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19127 03/30/06 11:52 PM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
I am always curious to understand the appeal of wrestling middle school as opposed to kids club. The reason I say this is because of the mat time involved. Middle school is limited in the total number of matches the kids get in the season with about 16-17 total matches over the season. In club, you could have 17 matches in the first 3 weeks of the season. Maybe different districts play a role in the ability to find quality competition and geographic/financial limitations may also play a role in this decision, but i know that most of the kids in middle school wrestling around here don't get the quality nor the quantity of mat time during their middle school season. Lets take an example to illustrate:

Wrestler A starts with middle school wrestling at the beginning of the season: He goes 13-4 overall in Middle School and comes back to club wrestling 2 weeks before Sub-Districts

Wrestler B starts with kids club and compiles a record of 38-10 with 2 weeks before Sub-Districts.

Note: Wrestler B was able to go to USJOC, Tulsa Nationals, and Liberty Nationals. Wrestler A bound to the KSHSAA rules was unable to attend these national tournaments.

Each kid has a 79% winning perentage: Each kid has been practicing the same amount of time. Which kid do you think has the advantage?

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19128 03/31/06 12:01 AM
Beeson Offline
No answear needed. Ark City will not allow middle school students to wrestle for the club while the middle school season is going on. We want them to support their school, in turn the school supports the takedown club. Hopefully KSHSAA will someday realize how they are hurting our student/athletes of all sports and get rid of this rule, or at least ammend it to allow some outside competion.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19129 03/31/06 12:46 AM
M
middle school coach Offline
M
well i think as a middle school coach that all kids should support there school as a child you can go before and after school season in usa wrestling. i know you will get more matches in usa but come on you need to support your school (I THINK)i have 2 in middle school and thats what they do!

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19130 03/31/06 05:19 AM
C
Crash99 Offline
C
I agree that the middle school programs need to be supported, but i also think that those in charge need to ammend the rule to allow outside competition while in scholastic athletics. I have thought that this was an unfair rule since I was in school. and I believe that if we want our athletes in the state of Kansas to be able to compete at the national level something needs to change. Oklahoma currently allows their student-athletes to compete in kids clubs as well as their scholastic athletics. I won't go into detail because this subject can be debated till everyone is blue in the face and still we will have to deal with the rules as they are. Also, this subject has been extensively debated on another discussion topic which can be found here:

http://www.usawks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003857#000000

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19131 03/31/06 04:39 PM
slick Offline
Each kid has a 79% winning perentage: Each kid has been practicing the same amount of time. Which kid do you think has the advantage? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about other kids' clubs, but our kid's club definately doesn't get the quality, intensity, and amount of time of practice that our Jr. High wrestling program gets. Sure, the Jr. High may not wrestle as many matches, but their practice time is much more intense and more advanced than the kids wrestling practices. There was so much more improvement in my son's wrestling going from kid's to Jr. High, and I am not bagging our kid's club, it's just that sometimes there are so many kids at so many different levels that they don't get the attention they get in Jr. High. At times, there was more competition at the Jr. High level than the kid's club level. Our 12 & under as 7th graders are able to wrestle 8th graders that would be 14 & under. You need to support the Jr. High programs, and maybe they would get more kids out and be more competitive.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19132 04/01/06 01:44 AM
2coach Offline
No matter what, you have to support your school. Every kid growing up wants to wrestle for their middle school and their high school. I wish rules were changed, but we got to go with what we got.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19133 04/01/06 06:57 AM
VanFam7 Offline
Our middle school wrestling season is over before Christmas break. Our kids get plenty of USA tournaments in before qualifying tournament time.

Annette & FJ VanAnne
sekcoach@yahoo.com
Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19134 04/02/06 11:22 PM
ltrain Offline
Beeson, that policy has a few holes in it. I coach both middle school and club track, and I for one would never take away an opportunity for a young person to participate in what they want, based on the fact that they choose not to participate with their middle school program. What about transfer kids that have to sit out 18 weeks? What about kids that struggle in the class room, and don't stay elgible? What about parent work schedules or other family matters that don't conform to MS practices or meets? I think if your club has a rule that prevents kids from participating in a sport that does so much good for them, then you should find a less short sighted club.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19135 04/02/06 11:57 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by ltrain:
What about kids that struggle in the class room, and don't stay elgible?
Just so I understand, are you saying a kid who is academically ineligible should be allowed to wrestle with the local club?

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19136 04/03/06 12:40 AM
Beeson Offline
1) Thank you sportsfan02, I won't need to explain that one.
2) The Takedown Club and Middle School practice at the same time, so if you can't make one practice you can't make the other. The Middle School will bus you to and from meets, and If mom and dad can't be there to pick you up when you get back, one of your teammates can get you home.
3) The sport does alot of good for kids in Middle School and in the Takedown Club. We are not keeping a kid from participating in a sport. They can join the Middle School team, support their school, and then finish up with the Takedown Club.

Re: Independent vs. club wrestling #19137 04/03/06 12:56 AM
Beeson Offline
I'm just curious how many agree with Beeson and how many agree with Itrain. This has been Ark City's policy since the club was founded, and I think it has worked rather well for us. Although being short sighted it's hard for me to tell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 283 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)