Originally Posted By: Rford
Now onto the takedown vs. escape etc. debate. What's the difference if a kid takes another kid down and lets him up, down, up, down, up etc. and a kid who just cheap tilts another kid to a tech fall? Should he not turn the kid because he can't defend it?

Some of it is just the sport...its always been allowed to do the takedown-release. And the case book OKs that technique. Maybe someday they'll revisit that technique.

Actually, you probably can't use a cheap tilt to run up points...each "pinning situation" results in only one set of NF points, and unless you release the arm and the kid can belly out and defend himself you should only earn one set....this gets called incorrectly quite often, and even at HS state some officials will forget the rule...you aren't suppose to be able to use the same pinning situation for multiple NFs.
[/quote]

I completely agree with you about breaking the hold and the defensive wrestler being allowed to get out of "eminent danger" before the NF points are allowed.

The takedown escape game can be construed as unsportsmanlike if done as a way of demeaning the opponent. Usually it's not the case but I have seen it that way and where my answer above comes from.

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707