Originally Posted By: Beeson
Logan Terril wrestled Middle School...State Runner-up in High School. Colby Watters 4X Placer....Middle School. Wyatt Villers Jr. 2x Placer....Middle School. Cody Eastman Jr. 2X Placer...Middle School. 95% of Ark City Wrestlers over the last 30 years...WRESTLED MIDDLE SCHOOL. Justin Ware, The Hernandez Brothers, Scotty Goodale, Brooks Travis, The Bahm Brothers, The Hankins Brothers...2 of Ark City's 4X State Champions, and All of the 3x State Champions wrestled Middle School...Hard to Argue those Facts.

I believe some of the aforementioned wrestlers didn't really believe MS wrestling was enough either as they ventured down to TN during AC's MS season... ALL of these wrestlers wrestled outside of MS as well (beyond the prescribed MS season). I think Coach Mahan hit it on the head, if you are in a metro area the SUPER club is a way better situation. Neither Reese nor Ryne participated in the MS program at the public MS they attended. It was their choice to attend club practice and go to tournaments that were availbable. Sammy participated in MS wrestling and was the only undefeated wrestler in a combined (7th and 8th) team. They wrestled about 12 matches and I think he had 9 pins. He had to skip 6 weeks of club practice and five tournaments as their league only had one Saturday event. He DID NOT qualify for Kids State this year. He had a good coach (he is also the head HS coach) but the competition was very under prepared. I would like to see all of you who are supporters of the MS programs go to your AD's and battle to release the KSHSAA control over MS wrestling. Most of these leagues and programs DO NOT wrestle on weekends so why shouldn't these kids be allowed to LEGALLY do both? If a kid wants to practice with his friends at school and then go to club practice why not? There are NO good arguments against these questions!! The seasons are inconsistent, team scores are often not kept, weight classes are completely ignored for the most part, and having these options would improve the overall situation trememdously. I agree with Coach Mahan's points regarding the need to build your program and I think those HS coaches who are pulling double duty are doing exactly that and I believe they would support both of those proposals.

(Coach Werner, I fixed my earlier post. smile We can put examples of kids who did BOTH all day long. They are motivated to be the best. Where are the examples of the Kids who JUST wrestled MS and went on to be HS state placers.)

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com