Hi all -- former Imac wrestling coach and LV Times sports editor Jeff Holmes calling in from Iowa. And it is so nice to see Lansing arrogance is alive and well as usual.

First of all, Coach Jay, way to stick to your guns. Always nice to see the blue and white being well-represented on the mat with a good coach; Schmidt taught you well.

Bill, I'm not even sure where to start with you. I'm not sure if there have been major changes in the last few years, but I know when I was there, Imac, Pleasant Ridge and (yes) Lansing had as much trouble with transient students due to the Fort. Possibly more so; the officers all seemed to want to live in Lansing for some reason. Your post makes it sound as if the majority of the Leavenworth student body are military dependents; I challenge you to prove it is a higher percentage there than it is in other the other three "metro" schools.

Yes, LV is out in the relative "boonies" compared to the rest of Sunflower, but they have also been a good fit there for decades. Have the Pioneers had the worst overall success level of all League schools over the last decade, or are there some JoCo schools with the same -- or worse -- numbers? I challenge you to find that out, too.

As for the enrollment differences, well, you'll love this one. I was in Kansas from 1997 through 2004, the first five years of that at Imac. Over that time, the Green and White was the smallest school in the KVL and were LESS than half the size of the next biggest school in the League (Perry). YET, over those five years, the football team won either three or four League titles (and beat Lansing four years in a row), won probably four out five boys' basketball championships, and were competitive (as in top two or three) in volleyball and girls' basketball every year. Heck, we even managed to move into the top half of KVL wrestling tournament my last year and won three League duals (with 14 kids).

And, the football team went at least two rounds deep in the playoffs three times, the boys' basketball team went to State and the volleyball and girls' basketball team went to State four years in a row each. Both soccer programs went deep into the post season most years as well. And that was as a SMALL 3A.

Yes, Imac's enrollment finally has forced them to go to the DVL, but the run they had a decade ago only proves my point.

My point is that enrollment shouldn't have anything to do with this. I applaud LV for staying in the Sunflower and hope they turn things around. But if they decide to leave, I'll be willing to bet they'll make a good decision as to where to go. Bill, I challenge you to come up with a better reason than the ones you've given.

Best to all -- Go Green, Go Blue!!!

JLH

Last edited by fromadistance; 10/09/12 01:30 PM. Reason: Typos...sorry