While I am sure we agree most times, I disagree here. The theory you ascribe to me is the theory of "sharing the wealth" which I do not believe in. *****Somtimes I wonder whether you may be BS'ing here. There is little doubt in my mind that there some people out there that like this rule because it keeps others from improving, or tears down those that are at the top, and brings them down to their kids' level. Which is a version of sharing the wealth. ***********

Saying I should continuously maximize my own talents and only share them when I have to. I am saying that you do not get to have your cake and eat it too. I would fault no person that skips the middle school season because they can get more at the club level. If the coach isn't up to snuff, then don't wrestle for him. My theory is simply that there are many things that take place in a kids life between the 7th grade and the 12th grade and the humility to take the six week window of being a part of a school team, goes a long way socially and emotionally for the development of all involved. ********So where did anyone say "screw middle school, just do club. This is a debate on allowing kids to do both. I am saying that when my kid gets better, the TEAM gets better, so I am doing what you want to happen without you even knowing it*********

This is the theory called stewardship, which I follow, where talent should be shared, meaning sometimes sacraficing personal gain for the betterment of the whole. Sometimes that means doing things for no personal self gain but for the gain of others. I have my own kids to worry about so ultimately, I don't care what a family does. I have my own plates to clean. But.... *****A theory, that you follow, but you want to force it on the rest of us??*****

...we must decide if the team and community are more important than the individual and not wantonly ignore rules because they do not benefit me personally. If you are an athlete (especially at a 5A school and below) that could help a team, but you are sitting out the season to focus on your specialty, then honestly, I am not impressed. ****But you should be REALLY impressed with kids that do bothMS and club or open room********

And really, the way most youth athletes look to the stands for guidance instead of their coaches anyways, makes me wonder why we even bother trying to teach kids lessons that will actually help them for the rest of their lives, like self-control and respect.******Here is my take on that. I totally disagree with a kid that doesn't respect his coach, no matter how good or bad the coach is. Especially if it is an unpaid volunteer trying to help out. But if you are getting kids that are doing that, either the kid is a punk, or you stink as a coach. Look in the mirror and make sure you are doing what it takes as a coach to help make the kid better, and not just along for the ride, or for a few extra dollars on your supplemental contract. I know tons of coaches that, if broken down to an hourly wage, get paid in cents per hour, not dollars. I also know many that do the absolute minimum to keep that supplemental contract*****

So there you go, aren't you glad you asked? *****You didn't even ask me, but I gave you my 2 cents worth*****

Last edited by doug747; 01/10/13 01:12 PM.