Originally Posted By: Mahan
Will, I am going to have to disagree, now we don't have 80 to 100 kids or whatever the EKWC has that feeds who nows how many different High Schools. But I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that ARMS league wrestling was not a joke by any means. both those Garden City rooms were tough, we were decent, Dodge Comanche and DCMS both had several kids that will make noise in HS. both Liberals etc, not to mention we competed with the GWAC which includes Colby, Scott City, Goodland etc...pretty legit programs. whose MS kids you know are gonna be tough in HS in 2 to 4 years. also I can not speak for all these MS programs but I am (only slightly) offended and will tell you that our MS workouts are as "good" as anything you are gonna see at any level. Furthermore we saw several kids this season who did not start wrestling till 7th grade that were or are going to be tough tough. Yes the Greater Gold kids dominated and my kids with experience are tough etc., but there are a ton of kids out here that would not have ever wrestled if not for MS that are or are going to be really really good. So I do not know what the problem is in the rest of the state, but the Middle School situation out here is pretty dang good. And I would not have any other way.

There are always exceptions, and I am glad there are a few MS programs at that level. The facts are that thos few are the exception and not the rule.

I truly feel bad for our MS coaches. 3-4 weeks to fill what is right now 8-9 spots on the roster with 1st year wrestlers. How do you prepare them for that in 3 weeks. I think they are doing the best they can as coaches. In our case anywyas, there are always the "teacher coaches" just getting another check.

They have to cover so many fundamental items that the work outs or live time is cut short.

The Pioneer league may be MS at its worst, just due to timing and the mass amount of 1st timers.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS