Originally Posted By: Cokeley
The executive board has voted on this issue since we changed the 16U division to HS. At the time Beeson was on the board and he was adamantly against mandating that ALL HS wrestlers wrestle the HS division and not be allowed to wrestle DOWN to the 14U KIDS classification.
My position stands.

It was shocking that 2/3 could see that allow HS state placers to wrestle against 7th and 8th graders is not how you develop and improve Kansas wrestling. As Beeson said it is about opportunity to get better. You don't get better by dropping back and dominating those who didn't get a professional coach and five day a week practices for four plus months plus a schedule of competition that was the same age or up to three years older.

The 8th graders are getting good competition, thus making them better. Many 8th graders welcome the challenge and step up and win. The 14U division would be watered down if we mandated all High School wrestlers to wrestle the High School Divison. It is just fine for them to wrestle their own age group.

Wake up!

No one is sleeping.

There is NO DEBATE here.

You're right, you just happen to be wrong by trying to debate your side.

The question is do you want develop wrestlers or do you want to discourage our KIDS.

Sounds like very few are discouraged. I would venture to say that most embrace the opportunity. This speaks volumes for our 8th graders that are welcoming the opportunity to get better.

The Zach Campbells and Chad Beesons of this topic need to agree that is what is happening even if they don't agree with the rule. At least that way they can admit they are not willing to change to improve.

I don't have to agree, I am willing to change to improve. I just do not think that this is the problem or the solution.
I have been on both ends of the spectrum here, for every Ryne Cokeley there are 20 Sammy Cokeleys.

That is just how life is.

The rule as it stands today is ridiculous and every HS state placer who makes a choice to wrestle 14U should be called out.

It is not ridiculous, it is how the majority feels. It is unfortunate that you are in the minority.
The facts have been stated and my opinion stands.

These are not facts. They are the opinions of a few.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/11/13 02:11 AM.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary