A question has come up about how we choose the alternates.

In previous years, I could wait until I knew who the alternates were before I sent them in to Nebraska. This year, I could not wait and was forced to send in weights only. This is how the alternates get on the alternate teams.

Also, historically we have had mostly 60 - 100 lb kids as alternates - so I order singlets to match those weights.

The day I sent the alternate weights in, I counted the number of wrestlers signed up at each weight. I also looked at the other teams alternates to see where our weights fit in and made my choices based on that.

After I had already sent in the alternate weights, there were some weight changes and additions that changed the number of kids in three of our weights. Had that happened earlier, I may have made a different decision on one alternate weight.

If I take alternates at weights other than what I sent in, I don't know that I can guarantee any matches for those different weights.

Also, we did not rank the alternates in any way other than in their respective weight class.

Dal Eck
dal@matteck.com
316-641-4913