Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Bobcat doesn't have enough room either but ALL of the big venue tournaments do. Philosophically, HS officials are LOOKING to call out of bounds and College officials let the action happen. When there is a scramble the out of bounds rule in HS becomes too much of a judgement call. Stalling is SO inconsistently called that we really do need riding time.

I personally would like to see stalling at the minimum and fleeing in some cases when the offensive wrestler runs the defensive wrestler out of bounds to get a fresh start on top or to avoid getting stalling called for not attempting to return the defensive wrestler to the mat. It gets called about 1% of the time! Tell me what defensive wrestler is running out of bounds so he has to start all over on his hands and knees again???

Don/t know enough to properly respond to any of this. My only comment is I don't think high school wrestling wants or needs riding time. We already have to much and to many beached whales laying around the mat. To me, we need active refs throwing warning and stall calls to keep the action moving. If the defending wrestler is not truly attempting to escape---WARNING or STALLING! If the offensive wrestler is not actually moving to improve his position---WARNING or STALLING! Fake attempts to avoid warnings and stalls, and to waste clock time: senseless movement, tugs, twists, turns,etc., are easily recognized by the fans and should be recognized and ignored by the refs. Maybe wrestling needs a soccer RED CARD for faking--2 reds and your out!!.

Last edited by WillyM; 01/21/14 10:42 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing