My late entry for the most dominating wrestler: late 90s Chris Brown from Columbus. 3 time sate champ 9th, 10th and 12th grades. Upset in semifinal in 11th grade---came back and punished his opponent in the 3rd place match. A very, very tense wrestler who terrorized his opponent before the matches started. Tough and technically excellent. A sad story and ending I am not going to reopen. I think anyone who saw Chris will agree he at the top of the list.

Now, would like to change the question:

1. What was the best single match you ever saw? What, what, when, where?

2. What was the best bunch of wrestler you saw on the mats on or near the same time? Who, what, when, where?

My opinions, just opinions:

1. Best match: 1997, KS Coliseum, 145 lb 4A Championship, Jason Blanding, senior, Paola, undefeated in HS, 2 time state champ VS Brandon Pfizenmaier, senior, Clay Center, 2 time state champ. Two absolutely great technical wrestlers. Move-counter, move-counter-counter the whole match. The refs truly moved to the outside circle and let these 2 elite wrestlers wrestle. Action on all other mats (6A and 5a championships halted, plus all fans in the coliseum, focused on this match. Pfizenmaier won. I think Pfizenmaier went on to be a D2 All American at a college in Nebraska. Blanding disappeared. Always heard Blanding was an undefeated freshman at Columbus but was injured and did not wrestle in the state level competition. May have moved to Chanute as a 10 grader and won a state championship. Wrestled at Paola in 11th grade and won his second championship. Great match.

2. Best group of wrestler: Again 1997 state tournament. List is too long to include everyone. Do remember 4xers Jeremy Long- SFT, 3 or 4xer Beau Tillman-Pratt, 4Xer Bo Maynes-Salina, 4xer Zack Roberson Blue Valley, all the same or next weight classes, plus several other future greats.

Last edited by WillyM; 02/18/14 04:57 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing