I want to go on record about a couple points raised in this topic. First I would like to thank Maize Wrestling Club and Scott City Wrestling Club for participating in the auction for reserved seating. I am sorry that part of your experience was tainted by some that were rude to any of your club members in your section(s). My hope is that your experience will not deter you from participating in the auction in future years.

Next I would like to address the rule as it is stated in the tournament information sheet regarding SAVED SEATS AT STATE…” No saving of seats on Friday night for Saturday or Saturday night for Sunday will be allowed and all ADA handicapped seating are reserved for its intended purpose. Violation of this will result in a member of staff reminding you of the violation and you will be asked to move. Thank you for your cooperation.” As tournament director, I had the Expocentre security enforce this policy. I also made announcements on both Saturday and Sunday morning, to those clubs arriving to the venue with rope to stake out their spots that they were not following the rules and security made the rounds. However, as the building began to fill I felt we needed to pick our battles. Technically those saving seats after the doors opened on Fry/Sat were not violating any rules. I like many of you didn’t like it, but on the opposite side of the situation these clubs were more prepared and got up earlier than those who made other decisions. Had I sent the “yellow shirts” through the arena to roust these clubs, I would have had countless complaints about overbearing security personnel. What we all need to remember is that we are all part of the same family and to treat each other with respect!

I will address bag checks; a few years ago bag checks were much more stringent than they are today. The Expocentre has loosened the policy to allow the athletes to bring in some items that were not allowed in previous years. However, bag checks are absolutely necessary at any large venue for just the reasons stated in this topic. You may not like to hear this, but it is a safety issue! I believe that the Kansas Expocentre have done a good job the past several years adjusting to our needs. They have found a pretty good line between “being a good host” and “providing for our safe and fair treatment”.

I promise that the State Tournament Committee will weigh any necessary changes that may need to be made in regards to this topic very carefully. Even if things are not exactly as you would like, I want you to know that we are listening to your suggestions.

Mark Stanley
State Tournament Committee