Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Originally Posted By: jeremy sekavec
I'm sorry if you have the chance to pin the kid or tech fall him, get it done!!! How many team titles have been lost by a 1/2 point? Wrestle to the end.

I know of at least ONE state individual title lost by not going for the fall. Perhaps we should rethink recognizing wrestlers for setting records in so many categories. For example, I HATE watching a superior wrestler ridicule his opponent merely to achieve as many takedowns as possible.

Take them down and pin them!

I recall this discussion going on a few years ago on the Youth Forum. There were some (like me) that said you need to pin your opponent as soon as you have the chance. There were also others who were concerned about not having the opponent embarrassed, allowing their opponent to get more mat time, having their wrestler get more mat time (practice), etc. Is this a different discussion from the youth program to the high school program? I still stand by my thoughts on this, practice is where you get practice, meets are where you finish off your opponent as soon as you can if you have the chance.

Lee Girard