I could not agree with you more Coach Buckbee. When I was competing in HS we traveled out of state for one tournament in Lexington Nebraska. Nebraska has weigh-ins 1 hour prior to competition. I remember crawling off the mat after my first match feeling lucky I was able to get a pin in the 2nd period because I wasn't sure if I had enough gas to go hard in the 3rd. I was hoping my 1 seed would draw me a first round bye so I could fill up and recover, much like I was able to all season in KS.

Although I won State later that year I fully regret wrestling at that lower weight class. Had I been forced to wrestle an entire season under the rules up in Nebraska there is no way I would have wrestled at 112. Due to the detrimental effects my unhealthy weight-cutting was having on my wrestling, I would have and should have been up a weight class.

There were times in my career I placed WAY too much emphasis on cutting weight. I am all for rules and regulations that will help keep our wrestlers safe and focused on wrestling. This is wrestling, not The Biggest Loser. Place your focus and energy on becoming a better wrestler. If need be, move up that weight class and just perform at a higher level!