Originally Posted by Chuck Schremmer
I really want to say quite a bit about it not being a big achievement to qualify for the State tournament. I will just say that it is a pretty stupid statement to make and let you figure out why. You being a Wrestlin Scholar, it shouln't take you very long to figure out, or maybe it will.

I know things get a little insulated in Kansas and the perspective of what a state qualifier is totally different depending what part of the country you're in. Placing in regionals is great, but its still relatively easily to place in the regionals compared to a majority of the states. Kansas is a low population state 2.9MM people but still has 4 classes. Based on population and number of schools, its relatively easy to qualify for state. Maybe a little tougher than Nebraska, Montana, Alabama, Wyoming or Idaho, but still the national perception of the Kansas State qualifier is that's it pretty easy. I know in the past you've had guys just weigh in and qualify due to the number of forfeits in the bracket.

Just for perspective, think of all your guys that qualified in 321A or 224 wrestlers. If these same wrestlers were in Pennsylvania, California, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, New York, less than 10% of the Kansas guys would qualify in those states. Probably 15-20 321A Kansas wrestlers would make it to their state tournament and maybe 5-7 would place.

Its statistical numbers, I've been around these Eastern states and qualifying for these tournaments is a bear. College coaches respect the fact if you qualified in these states, in Kansas means very little to a college coach. Combine the higher level of wrestling and the limited number of spots due to not being watered down with multiple classes. An Indiana or California state qualifier would get a college coaches attention.

Just compare Indiana which has one class. 315 schools with wrestling 224 spots to qualify or roughly 5% wrestlers qualify. Compare to Kansas 220 schools with 896 qualifiers or qualifiying rate or more than 29% of potential wrestlers qualify. Add the high number of forfeits, that number is closer to 40%.

Not disrespecting, but it just funny that I see people complaining about a kid not qualifying for state, but they don't understand how low of a bar qualifying for state is.

Probably good to offend somebody, people need to get on board and be enthusiastic about wrestling.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"