Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Too many qualifiers #39343 02/26/03 07:01 PM
T
Tim Shea Offline
T
Problems: Accusations of 'weak' Regionals, Losing Records at State, Regional 'lock outs' of wrestlers who can't make state.

Solution: (Pardigm shift - bear with me)

1) Do away with Regionals.
2) Keep State but...
a. Take each class and have a 4,3, or 2 day tournament as needed per size or the schools(i.e. 64, 32, or 16 man bracket). Pig tails may have to be wrestled, but governed strictly by state rules/officials, etc.
b. Each school brings one wrestler per class. Seed and bracket accordingly. Probably seed top 16, 8, 4.
c. Best wrestlers at end of tourney are 'really' that - the best in the class.

Advantages:

1) No more piss-ant arguments about easy regionals or improper seeding, etc
2) Each KSHSAA class can keep/claim permanncy on State site (i.e. Hays, Wichita, Salina, etc).
3) Frees up a week to execute alternative event (Grand State, Dual State, whatever)
4) Heck of a lot easier for college recruiters - one stop shopping.

Disadvantages:

1) No more Regional trophies - this might seriously impact/stunt/mar some coaches', fans' or wrestlers' egos (tongue in cheek)
2) Seeding session would be kind of fun to watch -probably better than a lot of the matches
3) All schools would have to participate - at cost -
4) Revenue loss for Regional site and (indirectly) KSHSAA.

No yelling please.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39344 02/26/03 11:34 PM
H
Hovpen Offline
H
No more pissant arguements? Darn, then what's the point. What would you guys do if you couldn't argue with each other.
But really, the 103 pounder I follow with my job got second in his regional with a 10-14 record. Does he belong in the state tournament. I looked and of all the tournaments he was in this season, there are wrestlers qualified in state from 18 of those schools split among all three classes.
Now if three of his losses are to Devoe, and two to Crumbless, and another two to Wall, two to Hamilton, one to Sayers and two to Harding
is he really that bad of a wrestler who doesn't deserve to be there?
I don't think your record means a hill of beans. It is who your competition is that makes you good, and some of those who have better records haven't wrestled near the competition he has.
See you all Friday afternoon in Wichita.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39345 02/26/03 11:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There are many wrestlers in 5a/6a with less wins than losses. The regionals make it much easier to qualify for state because of the eight man brackets. One thing that should be considered is to combine two regionals to make a 16 man bracket. Also qualify the top eight so there will be 16 man bracket for state. This would eliminate some of the losing records and it would get the wrestlers who were at a tough regional and failed to qualify but would have if they were at a weaker regional. Something to think about.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39346 02/27/03 01:59 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I wrestled 4A and had a career record of like 38-52 on varsity....I'm now in college wrestling, and have been wrestling for the Division 2 National Champion UCO Bronchos...I don't know what the break up of college wrestlers from Kansas by classification are but if you went by UCO's (as of when people graduated from high school)...we'd have 3- 4A wrestler's and 1 5a...we also had 1 6A wrestler.......thoughts?

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: Too many qualifiers #39347 02/27/03 02:11 AM
W
WalterV Offline
W
Blah, Blah, Blah....
Let's take some opportunities away from kids. Life isn't fair. So on and so forth....
The state tournaments look great at all classes. We have what we have. Enjoy it....

Re: Too many qualifiers #39348 02/27/03 12:53 PM
P
Pull My Finger Offline
P
Jayhawk, do you really think that combining 5 and 6a regionals together to make 16 man brackets instead of 8 and then qualify 8 of the 16 instead of 4 of the 8 is really different. Sounds like someone needs a math lesson. You would still be qualifying half of the 5 and 6a wrestlers. I am very curious to see how many of the 4 and 321a brackets are filled to 16 and how many are just 10-12. Anybody fill me in on that?

Re: Too many qualifiers #39349 02/27/03 02:14 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
What a rediculous premis combining the regionals and admitting that some worthy wrestlers would be left at home. Duh, what an idea. We been there and done that and it sucked. Geez you defeated your own argument when you said that. It is fine the way it is get over it

Re: Too many qualifiers #39350 02/27/03 02:25 PM
EaglesCoach Offline
I think it is much tougher to qualify at 4a than in any other division because of the number of kids who compete. But once you get to the state tournament it all equals out there are tough kids in every bracket at state regardless of divisions. I would like to see a Grand State though just to see who is the best wretler in the state bar none.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39351 02/28/03 12:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It seems some people did not read all of my comment. let me put it in simpler terms. For example say a 5a regional has six wrestlers in 135 that placed in state and all have been top wresters throughout the year at that weight. 2 are not going to qualify for state. correct you following so far. Then there is another 5a regional has a wrestler qualify for the state tournament with a record of 7-25 this is not fair for the other two wrestlers for their hard work. Still following? If these two regionals had been combined making a 16 man regional and qualifying the same number of kids as if it were two regionals to make a 16 man bracket at state the two wrestlers with winning records and top wrestlers in the state may possibly make it to the state tournament while the 7-25 wrestler may not. This would make the first two rounds at state in 5a/6a more exciting. I hope that this clarifies my point and hope it was simple enough to understand for some who don't read so well.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39352 02/28/03 12:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My last comment was to show that some 5a/6a wrestlers that would have qualified in other regionals but did not. would get a chance to make it to state and do the best they could so they could have that same gleam in their eyes when walking through the opening ceremonies as these kids who may or may not deserve to make it to state. It is not a solution that fans are going to change it is a thought to see if it may make state the best it could be. If you have ever gone to the ncaa national championships the first round is one of the most exciting rounds to watch because I have seen wrestlers beat out #1 seeds. Isn't that what fans want to see at High School State.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39353 02/28/03 02:34 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
When they put in the work they put in and they qualify for the state meet they all deserve it. I don't care a bit what the fans want it isnt about them. Thats what we have been trying to say here.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39354 02/28/03 02:34 AM
W
wrestler 21 Offline
W
If 1,2,3,4A picked a wrestler for each weight and 5,6A picked a wrestler for each weight i bet the 5a and 6a squad would win.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39355 02/28/03 02:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with wrestler 21, If there was to pick a Wrestler from 2,3,4 and 5,6. 5,6 would win. 2,3,4, have good wrestlers but not as good as the big schools. Like Ryan Kromer from Garden City, Adam Venegas from OS, Justin Smith Dodge City, those guys are good.

Re: Too many qualifiers #39356 02/28/03 11:51 PM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
Why not just make it one big state tournament if you are all worried about the glory. The glory is in the eyes of the beholder. What is glory to one individual might be meaningless to another. If you are all worried about what class is tougher and not fair about qualifiers, then lets get the grand state proposal finished.
However, I do like the idea of combining 5-6A. But I also think it would be possible to make KS into 2 Classes based on regions.

God Bless,
Michael R. Church

Re: Too many qualifiers #39357 03/02/03 05:33 AM
S
seth Offline
S
didn't some guys that took 4th in 5a and 6a make the finals...i know ark city had a few. :rolleyes:

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 243 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)