Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51944 03/30/05 08:39 PM
G
gutwrench1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Riso-Ridiculous.
Riso writes "Justin Dyer was knocked off by Blair’s Kurt Backes. Dyer had no business being on the mat with the kid."
jan 2005, Iowa State 30
Oklahoma 6
Results By Weight
184 - Kurt Backes (ISU) dec. Justin Dyer, 4-3

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51945 03/30/05 09:02 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
Riso-Ridiculous.
Riso writes "Justin Dyer was knocked off by Blair’s Kurt Backes. Dyer had no business being on the mat with the kid."
jan 2005, Iowa State 30
Oklahoma 6
Results By Weight
184 - Kurt Backes (ISU) dec. Justin Dyer, 4-3
just seems funny to me that a 4-3 decision is no business being on the mat

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51946 03/30/05 09:45 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I knew I would have to clarify my last Post.
2004 NCAA I Finals, 2004 NCAA I Finals, 2004 NCAA I Finals NEARFALL POINTS and/or RIDING TIME/MAT WRESTLING 7 of the 10 champs scored nearfall or riding time advantage.

Additional evidence on the importance of all three phases of wrestling can be found in the 2004 NCAA I Finals. 7 of the 10 champs in 2004 scored nearfall points and/or had riding time advantage. It does happen but not very often - where the guy with riding time advantage loses.

125 lbs
Powel Tech fall Ott 18-2
9 nearfall points & riding time advantage
3 minutes plus (or 42%)

133lbs
Roberson vs Moore 7-3
3 takedowns and 1:35 riding time (21.4%)

141 lbs
Cliff Moore - Winner no riding time

149 Jantzen take down and 3 nearfall first period
2:47 riding time first period 9-3 winner with over 3 minutes riding time (42%)

157 Gentry vs Percival 4-2
Gentry wins on a reversal because Percival could not turn him or ride him. No riding time.

165 Letters over Lewis 5-2
Takedown and nearfall first period - No match riding time

174 Pendelton over Askren 11-4 and Pendelton had riding time (more than 14%)

184 Jones over Heizer Takedowns and escapes Only

197 Hahn over Fulsaas 7-2
Hahn had riding time advantage (more than 14%)

HWT Rowlands over Cummins 6-2
Rowlands has riding time (more than 14%)

I only included the 7 out of 10 matches with back points or riding time. I did not include the reversal (mat wrestling) at 157 and that was the difference in the match.

As far as how much time we spend on our feet (50%)
Bottom (25%) Top (25%).

During a match I would prefer 5 seconds on our feet and a 2 second pin with no escapes.

Sean

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51947 03/30/05 09:56 PM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
I totally agree with gutwrench in that wrestling on your feet is very very important. However, Tell Mitch Clark of Ohio State that top wrestling is not important and he might snap your face into the mat, spin, throw legs in and tech fall you in the first period from the top. I believe that is exactly what he did to Vertus Jones in the D-1 Finals a few years back. Tech fall with 4 turns from the top. I don't know, I guess it really depends on the strenghts and body style of the wrestler. Not all of them are like Mitch however, but there are quite a few that will hurt the best from the top.

P.S. I am not in the wrestling hall of fame of champions though (like gutwrench). So I don't know if my post is important without that credential. I am just on a high school wall as a state champ. Will you guys still listen to me please!!!!! hahahaha!

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51948 03/30/05 10:14 PM
B
Bronco Wrestler Offline
B
We have a has been/never really was guy from Russell that is in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame, it means nothing honestly

Alex R. Ryan
KSHSAA Official #15616
USAWKS Official #707
Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51949 03/31/05 12:38 AM
Luther Rizo Offline
To quote gutwrench in an earlier post “only Blair Academy could compare to East Kansas”.

As far as the Dyer/Backes match goes, I am referring to their match at the 2002 Senior High School National Tournament in Cleveland. Backes won by more than one point during this meeting. Backes controlled the entire match and Dyer was never really in it because of all of the low percentage moves(stuff I wouldn't teach my dog to do) that he attempted. You know all of that great stuff he learned from the East Kansas Club. And yes, a person can control the entire match and only win by 1 or 2 points. If you watched the Grater/Cornejo match at the Expo Center in Topeka you know what I am talking about.

Gutwrench you are the last one on this forum that should tag someone with the comment of being ridiculous.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51950 03/31/05 12:56 AM
M
mikechurch Offline
M
My P.S. is full of sarcasm to let some of you know... two post up!

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51951 03/31/05 01:12 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Well Im glad your giving this klemm guy so much credit I have personally never heard of the guy but your giving credit when all them wrestlers were already good, so I would have to say they are the one's that made themselves better, and the coach that should be getting the credit for working with them guys is akin.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51952 03/31/05 01:17 AM
Luther Rizo Offline
Remember great wrestlers make great coaches.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51953 03/31/05 01:28 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Thats true because I think you should know what to do once you've gotten to High School Thats what all the hard work of Kids, freestyle, ext, So you might not want to give all the glory to some guy in Eastern Kansas lol, So their ya go.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51954 03/31/05 01:41 AM
BigPin22 Offline
Mr. Rizo,

"Dyer was never really in it because of all of the low percentage moves(stuff I wouldn't teach my dog to do) that he attempted. You know all of that great stuff he learned from the East Kansas Club."

Lets not get carried away! That statement makes you look pretty stupid. Everyone who knows anything about wrestling in Kansas knows that East Kansas is, or was an outstanding club under the guidance of Coach Klemm and others. He was intense!

I think you should ask Eric Akin, Shawn Bunch, Zach Roberson,Joe Johnson, Justin Dyer, Austin Devoe, Tanner Gardner, Stewart Bogart, The McCormick Bros. etc. (the list goes on) what they think about Coach Klemm.

I am sure that they will all give much credit to Klemm!!!!!

gutwrench,

I have to agree with most of what you say, but coming on here and blasting fellow coaches and athletes is not the way to get your point across.

Tone it down a little bit and leave your name, then your comments will have much greater merit!!!

"Stats are for losers. Final scores are for winners." Bill Belicheck
Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51955 03/31/05 01:45 AM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Okay then who is this klemm and were did he wrestle in high school and college?

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51956 03/31/05 02:21 AM
J
Josh Carroll Offline
J
Dyer was never in that match. Did you see the match I know I did since I wrestled right after him in the semis. It was a great match with Backes getting a takedown with a minute to go. What a butt-kickin.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51957 03/31/05 02:22 AM
J
Josh Carroll Offline
J
Also ask any of the coaches that went to the tournament that year they will tell you a different story than you are saying.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51958 03/31/05 03:33 AM
UP NORTH Offline
I think highest goal of a wrestler is to be a Olympic champion, not a riding champion, how many Olympic champions win a match with riding time. In most cases, to have riding time, is to take a man down. I think we all need to set our goals, and the goals of the kids we coach, alittle higher than to beat a horse down and ride him for a point. THIS IS WAY WE ALL YELL TWO AND PUT TWO FINGERS UP WHEN A TAKEDOWN IS GIVEN. I could be wrong, but I want the best for my kids and takedowns are my thing. Don't reach for the moon, go beyond the stars.

"I can't" is not a word! MTW
Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51959 03/31/05 09:58 AM
J
Jon Doe Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by Luther Rizo:
To quote gutwrench in an earlier post “only Blair Academy could compare to East Kansas”.

As far as the Dyer/Backes match goes, I am referring to their match at the 2002 Senior High School National Tournament in Cleveland. Backes won by more than one point during this meeting..........
Actually Luther, that 2002 meeting at the NHSCA Senior Nationals was a 4-3 match too.

http://www.nhsca.com/wrestling/past_results/seniors_championships/2002_brackets.pdf

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51960 03/31/05 12:16 PM
Gibby Offline
Gutwrench said:

"Gibby, those guys aren't DI AAs. Enough already from you and the Sunflower Gold. They're not EKWC in its hey day."

I never said they were D1 AA's, but pointed out there is a club (numerous actually) that have shared the vision of the importance of wrestling in the neutral position. I guess I implied it, sorry you couldn't read between the lines.

As for your Hall of Fame credentials - don't care really. Numerous people have made various Hall of Fames and are just idiots and had no sense of respect for the sport, those that have tried but didn't make it, or humanity. Ty Cobb is an example. Great player, an arse in the room. Mark McGwire - broke a lot of records, but now is under speculation of performance enhancement drugs. The NFL is loaded with them too. This is not to say that your impact on the sport (whatever it is) was not an accomplishment. What I am saying is that such an honor does not dictate that we all bow to the "wrestling guru."

Some individuals that have had an impact on a sport they did not succeed in? Lou Holtz and Naismith come to mind. If I remember correctly - Holtz never played college football, but he's pretty good in the coaching ranks. And Naismith? Didn't play basket ball in college (cause he invented it).

The point I'm driving at is that outstanding coaches don't just come with various honors from their competitive days. You've implied you know what your talking about because your name is in Stillwater - wow.

The point I'm driving is that yes, Klemm was a great coach (for those that could afford it, another topic altogether). At the same time, coaches across the state have picked up or have been doing it for some time the belief that to be in the top of the game, neutral position has to be of top priority.

Oh sure, there are some coaches out there that haven't figured it out. Just like some Hall of Fame wrestlers haven't figured out that sitting in front of a computer, berating the state as a whole, has done nothing to better the style of Kansas and actually "produce All-Americans."

Hey, let me know when sitting on your rear produces you any AA's DI or otherwise. Then I'll follow suit and tell everyone I know that I'm following the practice of Hall of Fame wrestler and astute professor of the sport, Professor Turd.

Meanwhile, I'll be in the practice room doing it the way I know how.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51961 03/31/05 09:30 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
Wow I just looked up Klemm on Stanfords Web Site He was a division 2 national qualifier and juco qualifier he must have been a stud lol, You guys talking this bum up you are pothetic they got good kids to come to the club enough said. lol you guys are a joke joke joke joke joke joke.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51962 03/31/05 09:35 PM
Gibby Offline
AC

The scale shouldn't be what he did as a competitor, but what he did as a coach.

Two different animals altogether. Your argument is about as absurd as someone saying, "I'm not playing for Notre Dame (in the early 90's), their coach wasn't even a football player."

I guess they don't teach logic in AC. But hey, you got a Walmart.

Re: What KS coaches won't teach you about the Johnston and Bunch style #51963 03/31/05 09:39 PM
A
acbulldog Offline
A
What are you talking about what did he do for them athletes they were already good fabby okay, your about dumb as all these other people talking this guy up like he's a savior.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 237 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,985
Posts250,444
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)