Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hoxie #57027 03/03/03 12:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yes no doubt hoxie is good but they wouldnt do that great if they were in a higher class like 5a or even 6a... several of there guys wouldnt have won state in a higher class.

Re: Hoxie #57028 03/03/03 12:45 AM
Prant Garker Offline
Hoxie probably wouldn't have won all those titles in 5A or 6A, but Ark City wouldn't necessarily have won all their titles in a different class either. It all depends on a lot of talent and a little bit of luck.

(okay, so maybe they would have won all of those titles in 5a.....ha. just kidding. kind of.)

Re: Hoxie #57029 03/03/03 03:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The arguement still continues to thrive about the different classifications. I'm up for a grand state, Hoxie could compete with anyone this year and so could Norton. Hoxie spanked the winners of 4a, and I don't think they competed with any 5a schools but we beat the 2nd and 3rd place teams of 6a by quite a bit. I can't quote any scores my memory does not serve me that well. Hoxie wouldn't put that many in the finals at a grand state, but we would place enough to win it. In conclusion "I aint scared" lets organize our own grand state and see what happens, just kidding. Lets just drop the issue and leave this thread for givin props to Hoxie, cause they deserve it.

Re: Hoxie #57030 03/03/03 03:16 AM
M
mike fairleigh Offline
M
try looking at the results of the colby dual tournament where Hoxie wrestled 2nd place 6a powerhouse Garden city and spanked them 45-21. They also blanked Liberal. and beat several other eastern teams that showed up at the Colby affair. There my be many years that 5a 6a is tougher, but this isn't one of them. Norton and Hoxie have some boys that can stand up to anybody and that is a fact!

Re: Hoxie #57031 03/03/03 08:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
they beat them at colby because garden took several J.V. guys in place of varsity. hoxie is good but not that good..

Re: Hoxie #57032 03/03/03 08:14 PM
RJW Offline
Hoxie is THAT good. freakzilla22 hasn't seen Hoxie if he thinks that are not that good because they would have won every class this year without a doubt. I don't care about the whole "which class is tougher?'" debate, but I don't think anyone can argue that Hoxie is not the best team in the state (all classes). Believe me, we see them enough to know.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Hoxie #57033 03/03/03 08:27 PM
F
FAN 67 Offline
F
Rick,I agree Hoxie has the best team in the state but how many champions do you think they would've had in 4A
Farber 103 DeVoe
Baker 119 Kriegbam
Gilliland 130 Jones
Shippers 135 Terrell
Shippers 140 Grater

Re: Hoxie #57034 03/03/03 09:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Spillman would have been state champ in 4a, I think Gilliland vs. Jones could go either way they had a 1pt match last year at kids state where Jones won, I think M. Schippers could compete with Terrell, and J. Schippers could have a match go either way with Grater...lost to morris by not much and morris lost to grater by not to much.....Won't ever know, but we'd still win 4a reguardless if we didn't even have 1 champion.

Re: Hoxie #57035 03/03/03 09:09 PM
coachtwink Offline
We all know it doesn't take Champs to win a State Tournament. It takes a bunch of guys winning matches and picking up pins when they can. This is what Hoxie does. They are by far the best team I have ever seen wrestling on the Consolation side. As far as beating teams, Hoxie Beat Manhattan, Abilene, Colby, Beloit, Clay Center, Salina South, and Marysville all at the Beloit Tournament. Abilene won the 4a State Title. Manhattan took 3rd at 6a (and had Justin Johnson @ 152 not lost due in the first round due to an illegal slam that the kid didn't get up from Manhattan would have been in the thick of the 6A race.) Manhattan the week before ran away with the Newon tourney that had Ark City (5A champ). I don't see how you could say thatHoxie couldn't win any class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn- and most do.
Re: Hoxie #57036 03/04/03 10:24 AM
L
Les Brown Offline
L
Quote:
Originally posted by freakzilla22:
they beat them at colby because garden took several J.V. guys in place of varsity. hoxie is good but not that good..
Hoxie - 45 Garden City - 20
103 - Farber (H) 6-2 dec. Le (GC)
112 - M. Schamberger (H) 3-0 dec. Briggs (GC)
119 - Baker (H) WBF Gonzales (GC)
125 - Spillman (H) WBF Carter (GC)
130 - Gilliland (H) 10-3 dec. Sullivan (GC)
135 - M. Schippers (H) WBF Kemp (GC)
140 - J. Schippers (H) WB DQ Herrman (GC) -1 team point - Schippers winning 10-0 at time of DQ
145 - Waller (GC) 4-2 dec. K. Schamberger (H)
152 - Lewis (H) 5-4 dec. Alexander (GC)
160 - Campbell (H) 3-2 dec. Lappin (GC)
171 - Kromer (GC) WBF Shipley (H)
189 - J. Cooper (H) WBF Mendoza (GC)
215 - Carr (GC) WBF Pratt (H)
275 - Craig (GC) WBF D. Cooper (H)

freakzilla22, who were the jv kids, GC used?

Re: Hoxie #57037 03/04/03 10:46 AM
F
FAN 67 Offline
F
Les, I think everyone understands that Hoxie is the best team in the state. I only watched them at the Beloit tournament and I was so impressed how well coached they were and how tough all their wrestlers were. I was also impressed how every team member supports the one on the mat at the time. The make it a real team sport.
My only question, Do you think Hoxie has the best wrestler in Kansas in any weight? I know you watch a lot of wrestling and I respect your opinion.

Re: Hoxie #57038 03/04/03 02:16 PM
RJW Offline
Jones vs. Gilliland would be a good match and I believe was a one point match in kids last year. Hoxie has a chance.

I think they have a chance to win it at 125 too. I may be wrong, but I think Spillman beat Close at Beliot in a one point match. Could go either way, but a chance at a state champ here.

Here is a shock, Shamberger of Hoxie might have won 112 at 4A. I'm not sure if he has ever wrestled Eddie, but I think he has beaten the runner-up a time or two (Deeds). I may be wrong, but I think this is a possibility.

I'm not sure Hoxie would have any champs in 4A, but I think they at least place at 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 135, and 140. I think they would place three fewer guys at 4A, but seven placers would win the team title at 4A.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Hoxie #57039 03/04/03 06:55 PM
F
FAN 67 Offline
F
Thanks Rick
I agree with your thoughts. I find it interesting two guys that didn't win 123 may have the best chance to win 4A. Hey Rick,wouldn't it be fun to have the champions from 123A have a dual with the champions 6A and the winners of 4A have a dual with the winners of 5A. We could have a round robin or winners of the first round meet and the losers meet for third.(dual format) It wouldn't be a Grand State but it sure would be fun to watch. Before anyone starts on me, I know it will never happpen but it's fun to think, what if? Also, it doesn't have to be 123A vs 6A in the first round; any combination would work.

Re: Hoxie #57040 03/04/03 10:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just looked at the brackets, and if my memory serves right the 189 pounder from garden city is the only one who wasn't at the state tourny.....still on varsity. Still on varsity from the dual they had with hoxie. Again who was the JV kid?

Re: Hoxie #57041 03/05/03 12:09 AM
L
Les Brown Offline
L
Fan 67 -

Thanks for your kind words.

Not sure I can answer the question as I don't get to see the eastern Kansas schools that compete in 4A, 5A or 6A. So all I have to base an opinion on are results against common opponents. But, I'll throw in my thoughts.

This year's Hoxie team has some very talented wrestlers capable of hanging with most anybody on a given night, but their overwhelming strength this season was the consistent level of talent throughout the entire line-up. Which would serve them well in a grand state format, as they have a number of wrestlers capable of scoring big points in about any tournament.

I feel this is what it would take for any team to win a grand state meet this season as the concentration of talent for any one team would most likely be diluted or equalized through the championship side of a bracket.

As for the individual most capable of winning a grand state title for Hoxie this year, I'd have to pick Gilliland. Not saying that he could do it, but it would sure be worth the drive to see him and Earl Jones (who seems to be the consenus pick) go at it.

His previous match with Jones showed he is capable of sticking with Jones as well as anyone has been able to in recent years. And Gilliland may have picked up on something that could aid in overcoming Jones' incredible strength and talent. But that works both ways too as Jones may have done just the same thing. It would be fun to see.

I'd also be curious to see how Norton's Annon and Hoxie's Spillman would do in a grand state. Annon had one loss this season and Spillman had three - all were to each other. Spillman won the Beloit Tournament and Annon won the Newton Tournament.

In terms of individual honors for Hoxie at a grand state, next year might be the year for them to really shine. Gilliland, Schippers, Schippers, Campbell, Shipley and, if healthy, Charlie Ochs would comprise a pretty talented senior class. Not to mention the contribution that will no doubt be received from Farber, M. Schamberger and Baker.

There were a bunch of talented, young team's out there this year, but a core group like Hoxie has coming back might let Baker and Porsch realx a little during the off season.

Congrats to all of this year's state medal winners and team winners in the state of Kansas - you sure made it an exciting year for all of us in the stands. And best of luck to those who will be competing in this year's NHSCA senior nationals - I know your effort and success will make all of us proud.

Re: Hoxie #57042 03/05/03 03:26 AM
U
ultimate fan Offline
U
I agree with RJW. I also think Michael Schamberger would have won state at 4A. He pinned Eddie from Ulysses at the Goodland Holiday Classic, and beat Deeds at NWKL.

Re: Hoxie #57043 03/13/03 03:31 PM
A
AC_WRESTLER Offline
A
why doesn't hoxie go to the newton tourny and go against some of the real competition in kansas just a little thought if you want respect you have to earn it and no they meaning hoxie didn't earn it this year or any other year when your in 123a your never going to be anything other than a peace out.

Re: Hoxie #57044 03/13/03 04:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That works both ways. The reality of which class is better varies from year to year. As much as I'd like to see a team like Hoxie at Newton, Derby, ect, I'd also like to see teams like Hutch, Ark City, Garden City, ect, at some of the smaller schools tourny's, so we can really see who the best wrestlers in the state are. Until they have more head to head competition, this argument will keep going and going.

Re: Hoxie #57045 03/13/03 05:09 PM
D
dinger119 Offline
D
Gillihan as strong as Jones...i doubt that...less Gillihan can bench 295!!!!!

Re: Hoxie #57046 03/13/03 05:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
AC Wrestler:

why doesn't AC go to the Beloit tourny (or the Clay Center, Colby, Hoxie, Norton, Phillipsburg tournaments) and go against some of the real competition in kansas just a little thought if you want respect you have to earn it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 298 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,971
Posts250,412
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)