Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Brandon Smith #5996 03/24/04 08:04 AM
BMOCPAPA Offline
Most of the time I just read and don't post, but this one I have to give my 2 cents worth. As a freshman, a young boy named Mike Steinmetz had just finished his freshman year as a Turner varsity wrestler for his high school, at that time "HE" signed up for kids wrestling, high school track, and was training to compete for the golden gloves boxing championships.(boy that could be a conflict in scheduling). Mike competed in wrestling and went on to win another kids title, ran track for the varsity, and took second in the golden gloves.Conflict with all coaches involved ?,"yes", did any one coach say "make a choice" ? NO,NO,NO. Conflicts were missing a practice,staying late to make up a practice, or going in early to do class work or a work out. If not for the wonderful support from the teachers(first choice occupation ), than as coaches(second choice occupation), and other coaches(not on the scholastic level), Mike could have missed out on a part of "HIS" life that some times only comes around "once in a life time". For Brandon to give up wrestling, maybe another Kids state title, and be with his comrades(and Steve's)is sad, unless it was "HIS" choice.His choice--100 percent support. If it was a mandatory issue, and a choice had to be made, based upon one sport to participate in, or missing would mean being cut or benched, verble contact between parent and head coach to compromise over the issue of two sports at the same time should have been conducted. If contact was made between parent and head coach and no concessions were given by the head coach, than yes he is an "###hole". If no contact between either party, than no "###hole", just lack of communication between parties. Either way,too late now for Brandon in kids wrestling, but Brandon good luck in baseball and I hope you do achive your goals. Also Superiorsteve, equally obvious that you do not know what capacity that mtish has coached in by saying "probably never have coached at the scholastic level",(probable=seeming true, or I think). What ever level he has coached is still a coach=(one who instructs).Levels= 1,2,3,4 or kids,scholastic,collegian, what ever level, its for the kids, students, soon to be adults and adults. Last thing, is scholastic level coaching the best? If so,Kevin Klemm missed that level, He only coached kids, or kid clubs, then went to a collegian level, Stanford. Something to think about.

Re: Brandon Smith #5997 03/24/04 01:40 PM
S
superiorsteve Offline
S
BMOCPAPA ... not sure what your point regarding Mike is ...... we all know that, as you grow up, you have to make choices ...... Mike has made quite a few choices the past few years, many of which have involved personal sacrifice ...... more importantly, he owns his decisions (choices) and consequently makes the best of each one ...... another fine young man (and steve) ..... my disagreeement is with the stlye and substance (or lack thereof) of the unwarranted trashing of the turner baseball coach ...... obviously the coach did NOT say wrestlers would be cut from the team if they wrestled (Robert Dickinson wrestled and is still on the team)...... the person who posted this coach-bashing message admitted having no knowledge of the coach and furthermore, said they needed no further knowledge to condemn him as a person of low character ....... that person is wrong ..... wrestling (scholastic competition) is over .... baseball (scholastic competition) begins ...... the baseball coach has every right (and duty) to set high expectations for his team ...... if this includes mandatory practices (as is the case with all sports I have coached), so be it ..... to question whether or not the coach has the right to make such a schedule, or expect his players to attend ...... that's what led me to believe that the poster had not coached at the scholatic level ...... (yes, it is different than coaching kids, which I have also done) so my props go to the Turner Bears Coaches, all of them ...... hang in there and Good Game!

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"
Re: Brandon Smith #5998 03/24/04 05:39 PM
BMOCPAPA Offline
Superiorsteve,
I believe, between "MY" opinions and "YOUR" opinions , we have shed more light on the issue of who is right or who is wrong, or no wrong doing at all. Comments maybe true and maybe false. People will always rise to defend their opinions, their children, and their coaches, when oppressed=(persecute).People who live in glass houses should not throw stones,must be why I have no windows left. Thats why I do not post much. Setting high expectations for any team, job, business, or just life in general should be expected and strived to achieve. Issue of mandatory=(obligatory), rules you agree to, bind leaglly or morally,a must, sometimes, hard to live with. Well any way I must go, I have a mandatory meeting with Burger King so I can get MY french fries. BMOCPAPA

Re: Brandon Smith #5999 03/25/04 02:44 AM
S
superiorsteve Offline
S
BMOCPAPA ..... Wise words ..... True Story!

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl harbor?"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kyle Patton), 386 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)