Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68843 03/22/04 07:30 PM
JFinkeldei Offline OP
OP Offline
At a 2:00pm press conference today it became official - Newman University is adding a wrestling program to begin next season. The head coach is Mark Stovall (formerly of Bishop Carroll). Newman is currently an NAIA school and starting today is recruiting as such. There is a chance they will go Division II, but they will not know that for a couple of months. I know many top wrestlers have already signed but this will be a class program with a great potential to grow. Coach Stovall will begin recruiting at Senior nationals but anyone seriously interested could contact him at Newman or post your name and email here.

Although I am devestated that we are losing a great head coach, this is a great opportunity for wrestling in the state of Kansas. And to have one in wichita is great for the city and the sport. Good luck to the Newman wrestlers.

Jamie Finkeldei

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness." John Milton
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68844 03/22/04 08:20 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
I've talked with some Kansas guys in the past that wrestled with me in college and we have said for a long time that wrestling in the Wichita area for college would be great, easy to recruit in a lot of our minds because it's a bigger city and is about easy to get to wherever you want to go via turnpike or other major highways.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68845 03/22/04 08:52 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
The thing that helped their decision is that they didn't have football and if they counted Dance/cheerleading, they had 2 more sports for women than men...this was a huge surprise, but a great one to hear today. March 22nd = the birth of a program. Congrats to all of us fans of wrestling in the Kansas community...this is huge!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68846 03/22/04 10:07 PM
S
Steve O Offline
S
Congratulations to Coach Stovall for his new position. He is a class act and a great coach. I will miss competing against him.

However, I know Bishop Carrol will find a quality coach. I am glad to hear Kansas is offering more opportunities.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68847 03/23/04 04:55 AM
rocknraider Offline
That to me is music to my ears!!! Its nice that wrestling has finally began to take a few steps forward in the past 15 yrs.

Anyone know the email for the coach?

With the power of Ra!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68848 03/23/04 04:58 AM
rocknraider Offline
Also who has been signed as of now or is thinking about signing?

With the power of Ra!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68849 03/23/04 02:58 PM
JFinkeldei Offline OP
OP Offline
Unitl the end of school, you can email Stovall at stovallmark@bcchs.org.

For obvious reasons no one as officially signed yet (stovall is going throug recruiting and financial aid workshops this week) but there is obvious interst from Bishop Carroll alum. Showing interst so far (not that they will sign): Jarrod Vogel (2002 3rd in the nation), Kenny Brown (2002 state champ), John Sponsel (2003), and Karl Brown (2004 - will have to get out of his letter of intent to Dana).
I am hopeful that more quality wrestlers will show interest soon.

Jamie Finkeldei

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness." John Milton
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68850 03/23/04 04:29 PM
Prant Garker Offline
What about Knox?

Knoxknoxknoxknoxknox---go to Newman. Get your education paid for. Throw some fools.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68851 03/23/04 08:44 PM
rocknraider Offline
JFinkeldei-
Thank u for the email.

Prant-
I think Knox's bad attitude might keep him from being successful at the college level.

With the power of Ra!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68852 03/24/04 02:31 AM
Prant Garker Offline
No way. I see it as a way for Knox to get himself a free education and rock the world of college wrestling. I think if he gets in the right situation, he will excel.

Doooooooo it. I want to see some more Knox specials.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68853 03/24/04 04:22 AM
rocknraider Offline
Prant-
I take it u saw Starsky and Hutch....funny movie. Just dooo it, do it, do it.

With the power of Ra!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68854 03/24/04 04:25 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Knox would be a great addition to any team...but I know wrestling in college was better when the "seeds" regardless of how good they were on the mat were left behind. Although some of the "seeds" were pretty fun to watch in college.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68855 03/24/04 04:52 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
The same Knox that didn't bother to show up for his consolation finals match? Yeah that would be a great addition.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68856 03/24/04 10:19 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Dear Nigel:

Nigel states: "THe same Know tht didn't bother to show up for his consi finals match?"

Allow me to remind you it was Knox who did not show up for his consolation final match.

Kansas Newman has rigorous academic standards and I am certain Mr. Stovall will be recruiting athletes who can compete both in the classroom and on the mat.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68857 03/24/04 02:43 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Just a reminder NAIA schools do not offer full rides
They are finishing a provisional year in June and are anticipating being D2 so they will have some money.

As for Knox I think a Junior college would be a good starting point for college wrestling. That is not a knock either, many of us went to juco's and for wrestling he'd be able to focus on grades too....and be seen by more prospective teams outside of the Kansas general area.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68858 03/24/04 04:17 PM
Coachjt Offline
Just because you go D2 doesn't mean you have money?

There is a maximum amount of scholarships available in wrestling but most of the colleges don't have the maximum.

They split the scholarship money up between the kids.

Truman State - 1 scholarship
Central Missouri State - 2.5 scholarships
Nebraska Omaha – 4.5 scholarships etc…

It depends on the college and how much scholarship money they do have.
Not many kids get full rides! D2 or D1

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68859 03/24/04 06:00 PM
Prant Garker Offline
All of you criticize Knox and make it seem as if he is a horrible person because of his attitude, then you allude to the fact that Kansas Newman has "high academic standards."

Who are you to judge Knox, or any other wrestler for that matter? How do you know that he doesn't perform the same way in the classroom as he does when he's on that mat? Have all of you looked at his ACT or SAT scores, his class schedule, or his report card? As far as I know, Knox has never been academically ineligible, and was only suspended after missing a match, not for disciplinary reasons. (FYI: Zack Morris, the prototypical slacker, scored a 1590 on his SATs and was admitted to Yale.)

Sequoya Hill once stole a bike (so the rumor goes) and had to be disciplined by the school, missing regionals and state. Would it be better for him to leave Wichita as well? Is he a 'seed?' I think most would argue that Sequoya is a good kid who made a mistake, and I would agree.

Most of you criticize Knox simply because he's from Wichita West, has never been under a coach who emphasized sportsmanship, and perhaps because he's an African American. While I don't think he's a saint by any means, I think it's wrong for all of you to infer that he couldn't cut it at Kansas Newman, because you don't know his background. Give the kid a freaking chance.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68860 03/24/04 06:13 PM
rocknraider Offline
I have never suspected Knox of not being able to make it in college. I expect him to be pretty smart and crafty for a guy that can come back in so many matches when being down like 10-0....he must have a killer game plan if u ask me.

But i have seen and heard of him self destruct on numerous occasions. At state last yr when he lost to Tanner Gardner, he flipped out and made a huge scene. There were a better way to handle a loss. Erismen, a freshmen kept his poise when he lost in double OT and i didnt see Karl Brown explode uncontrollably when he got manhandled by Tanner(even though he put up a good fight). And not showing up for a consolation match at regionals is inexcusable. Have some dignity and at least come to the consolation match and default out. Dont throw away a whole season of hard work because u tripped up at the 2nd most important meet on the yr. The fact is, Knox's "on the mat" demeanor is the only thing i would question. If he wants to truely dedicate himself, the guy has limitless potential.

With the power of Ra!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68861 03/24/04 09:48 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Prant:

You reak of liberalism. What garbage you spew. I did not bash Knox academic abilities, or bash Knox for his race. How dare you insinuate racism. The only person to mention anything about race was Prant.

Fact is, you are ignorant of the efforts of former Coach Watkins, Coach Dryden, the West High School Administration, and the KSHSAA to instill sportsmanship in the program.

Kansas Newman has rigorous academic as well as high moral standards, as Newman is a small religious university.

Do not attempt to read into a post what is not there.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68862 03/24/04 09:58 PM
Prant Garker Offline
What are his grades, Salyer? What are his test scores? Is he a good student? What is his favorite class? Outside of wrestling, how are his morals? Does he attend church? Does he help out with children?

Please, Mr. Salyer, tell us. You seem to know tons about him. Kansas Newman has suuuuuuuch high standards, Mr. Knox surely couldn't meet them, right? I suggest you stop judging a kid based on what you MAY have seen at three wrestling meets in your entire life. The fact is that you have no idea how smart Mr. Knox is, you're just going by what you've heard and/or seen.

Judging people you don't know--how morally just of you. Maybe you should go to Newman.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 208 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)