Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68863 03/24/04 09:59 PM
Prant Garker Offline
And congrats to the administration for adding a program. Let's not forget about that in our little disagreement. Big ups to Kansas Newman.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68864 03/24/04 10:45 PM
JhrisCennings Offline
Zach scored a 1520, not a 1590. Prant, this upsets me. How could you make such a critical error??

So this kid is putting on his shoes right, and his mom says, honey you're putting your shoes on the wrong feet, and the little kid says, no mom these are my feet
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68865 03/25/04 03:25 AM
Lucas Baker Offline
Prant
He did not show up for a match!!! How in the Heck could you defend a guy that did that.
I dont want a guy like that to represent our state and our great sport. Not sure how they run things in Manhattan but in Abilene that is not expectable.

I remember a little kid from Wichita by the name of T-Bone I was a Soph in High school so he had to be like 11 or 12. Coach Lamar(silver lake) told him he needed to get to work on a move or something like that and he flipped out telling Lamar the he would kick is @$$. A 12 year old. What is going on in Wichita (west from what I can remember) do they have any morals at all?

I saw Tbone at kids state a few years later. He made it to the finals Darn good wrestler. Before they start the finals they turn down the lights and the kids shook hands Tbone Walked out to the center of the mat with a Pair of Black Shades on walked up to the kid made a X in the air with his hands and brought the X down to his crotch region like the guys did on WWF back then.

Thats great sportsmanship.

I got in trouble for wearing a Stone Cold Steve Austin shirt before a match in high school. Coach Christner would have a Hart Attack if one of us did anything like that.

Prant do you know how smart he is why dont you tells us prove us all wrong.
Those guys dont have to know what his scores or his grades were and what the @#$% Does Zach Morris have to do with it? It does not matter this is not a GPA forum this is a Wrestling forum Is he going to wrestle in college?

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68866 03/25/04 03:40 AM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
While I don't condone the actions of Knox Jr. and the aforementioned T-Bone, I do think you need to remember that you are talking about under 18 year old boys and think you need to lay off of both of them. They have made decisions that if I were them, I would regret for the rest of my life. Are you going to slight a kid on the fact that he made a few mistakes as a kid. Give him an opportunity to prove that he has the ability to learn from his mistakes rather than label him a miscreant and write him off as a bad mark for Kansas and not having an ounce of a chance at participating in a school like Kansas Newman. Maybe he doesn't even want to wrestle in college. Tell me you have never made a mistake and learned from it. Just lay off the kid.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68867 03/25/04 04:02 AM
B
Bernie112 Offline
B
I dont condone what Knox has done either, but I think you all just sh*t yourselves over something that is Knox's and Newmans decision, not yours.

How do any of you even know that they are interested in each other.

However, I do think if I were a College Wrestling Coach and I had the equivilant of 2 full rides to give out I would probably recruit people who had previously demonstrated discipline, self control and Academic achievement along with an ability to wrestle well.

A couple more points.

You CAN get a full ride from any College no matter what division. More Academic than wrestling, but its possible (not probable) in any division including NAIA. D-III Academic only.

Coachjt is right though. Many Colleges regardless of whether they are NAIA or DI or DII choose to give fewer Atheletic Scholarships than they are allowed by the NCAA.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68868 03/25/04 04:56 AM
Dingbat Offline
Lucas...I believe you mean "acceptable," and "heart attack." And how dare you judge one student by a reputation of an entire school. Shame, shame.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68869 03/25/04 04:58 AM
Dingbat Offline
Richard... You reek of Old Spice and Kentucky Gentleman.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68870 03/25/04 05:22 AM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Most of you criticize Knox simply because he's from Wichita West, has never been under a coach who emphasized sportsmanship, and perhaps because he's an African American.
I might buy the 1st one for some people who have a vendetta with them. 2nd a little harder to swallow....3rd is something I really don't want to touch upon because I really never heard the "N" word until I moved to Kansas. Many of my best friends are black, and we all know that there have been plenty of great black role models in Kansas that have wrestled...Does Melvin Douglas ring a bell? Race could be a reason...but I can also go the other way and say no way in hell on that too.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68871 03/25/04 05:32 AM
Lucas Baker Offline
I cannot believe i am saying this but thank you dingbat.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68872 03/25/04 05:50 AM
rocknraider Offline
Someone mentioned that he made a few mistakes and people need to lay off judging him from all his past transgressions. Well all i have to say to that is this isnt some magical wonderland. If u do something wrong u will pay for it. And Knox is paying for with a juvenille delinquient reputation. I wouldve understood if he fooled around and maybe exploded a few times, but it seems his behavior is a trend. U can give a kid only so many chances before the majority see him as more of a hurt than a help to the wrestling world.

With the power of Ra!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68873 03/25/04 09:46 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
rocknraider asks:

"Also who has been signed as of now or is thinking about signing?"

In response I stated: "Kansas Newman has rigorous academic standards and I am certain Mr. Stovall will be recruiting athletes who can compete both in the classroom and on the mat."

Prant: Your questions are not worthy of any further response, your ignorance of the subject matter is overwhelming!

Dingbat: Geez, how about a little credit, back in my drinking days it was Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey "101". I gave up that vice as alcohol made me violent.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68874 03/25/04 10:04 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Dingbat states:

(10 bonus points to whoever can pinpoint this reference)

Is this link the reference?

Angel in Disguise!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68875 03/25/04 10:24 AM
G
GeeMoney Offline
G
What about the wrestler at West High by the name of Tristen Deshazer who is a cousin to Knox?

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68876 03/25/04 10:45 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Tristen is a Sophomore!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68877 03/25/04 11:02 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Dingbat writes.......
"Richard... You reek of Old Spice and Kentucky Gentleman."

I happen to know for a fact that Richard doesn't drink and uses Hai Karate not Old Spice.

Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68878 03/25/04 02:37 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Aaron Sweazy, another interesting note, that is that sometimes because of the limitations of NCAA, NCAA D2, and D3 schools do not always have more money. Remember a NAIA school does not have to abide by NCAA guidelines; those guidelines are usually left up to the conference along with some national rules of the NAIA. This is one good thing about Newman; they won’t have the strict regulations that the KCAC has because they are in a different conference. They actually reward their athletes better in the long run than say does Friends University; this is not always the case, but generally so.
Since they are going D2 aren't the guidlines going to change...if so how much?

I think they will be able to raise enough funds to help with athletic scholarships. Curtis Hammeke is a genius and is a great A.D. and public relations person...I'm thinking the money will find Newman U fast.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68879 03/25/04 05:13 PM
Dingbat Offline
SichardDRalyer--nope, but good guess. And where did you find that web site?

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68880 03/26/04 12:54 AM
Nigel Isom Offline
Coach Lane, as im sure you know this isn't this latest situation regarding Mr. Knox was not the first time and it probably won't be the last. I don't know the guy personally but I have seen him and many many kids come out of Wichita, specifically a few particular clubs and high schools, and they all have bad attitude. I don't think its really a reflection on the coaches in that matter either. So many people on here are quick to give someone the benefit of the doubt and a second chance, and yet you continue to rag on all the others. Talent cannot make up for attitude. I'll tell you this know if I were the coach at Newman I would think long and hard before I choose to let someone wrestle for me whos exhibitied these characteristics.

William Nigel Isom
KSHSAA Official # 14274
USAWKS # 577
Riley KS
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68881 03/26/04 01:14 AM
Dingbat Offline
Quote:
I have seen him and many many kids come out of Wichita, specifically a few particular clubs and high schools, and they all have bad attitude.
Nigel--tell me how that generalization is any different from saying " All black people are troublemakers" or "All irishmen are alcoholics." That is a completely degrading remark. I suppose that since you don't personally know people on those teams, your feeble mind could easily be persuaded. Don't let the actions of the few damage the reputation of the whole lot.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Re: NAIA Newman Univ. in Wichita to add wrestling! #68882 03/26/04 01:16 AM
Dingbat Offline
I'm sure Gaylen Taylor and Earl Henry would love to discuss their "attitudes" with you.

Congrats, Aquinas!
Great job, Hat Town!
Salyer Rules!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 310 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)