Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Rules #84314 04/11/06 01:09 PM
Mike Furches Offline OP
OP Offline
Will Kansas adopt the new rules?

INDIANAPOLIS - The National Federation of State High School Associations has approved a rule change increasing the heavyweight class limit from 275 to 285 pounds.

It's the first increase in the sport's heaviest division in 19 years.

Jerry Diehl, assistant director of the NFHS, said Monday that high school athletes are bigger than they were when the 275-pound limit was set in 1987. He said the rules committee made the change to encourage more athletes, particularly football players, to compete in wrestling.

Among other wrestling changes approved by the NFHS board was one adding up to two 30-second tiebreakers after an initial 60-second overtime period.

If the score remains tied after the second tiebreaker, one additional 30-second sudden-death period will be conducted, and the first person scoring will be declared the winner. If no points are scored, the offensive wrestler will win the match. Previously, only one 30-second tiebreaker was conducted after the one-minute overtime period.

Re: New Rules #84315 04/11/06 01:58 PM
C
CoachS Offline
C
Thats a great rule change regarding the overtime rules. The weight change at 275 to 285. The only comment I have to make on that is MORE MEAT ON THE MAT.

Re: New Rules #84316 04/11/06 04:28 PM
Shane Koranda Offline
At the 4A State, I asked Bowden how long it would take the NFHS to consider the 1 foot inbounds for a takedown and/or only 1 shoulder inbounds for a fall, like the NCAAs.
His response shocked me, when he stated,
"We're looking at it this year, for next season. Don't think it'll go anywhere, but I've been wrong before."

So keep your ears peeled and let's see just what does come out of Indy...

Shane Koranda
Towanda, Ks.
Re: New Rules #84317 04/11/06 05:54 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
30-30 works well in college where riding time is the deciding factor at the end if it is still tied, but I'm not to crazy on the judgement of an official to make a call as to who they think won the match in all honesty.

285 deal is great!

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: New Rules #84318 04/11/06 06:01 PM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
Aaron - Give me an example of the overtime. I guess I'm tired or something. I am not following the rule.

Re: New Rules #84319 04/11/06 06:35 PM
parkwayred Offline
Show me a fat guy that can't lose 10 lbs! If they want to help the football types then... take the 215 to 205 lbs and add one in at 235 lbs.

I’m not very smart… but I can lift heavy things!
Re: New Rules #84320 04/11/06 06:52 PM
C
coach neil Offline
C
I would love to go back to the unlimited weight class that we use to have. As for the tie breaker I would like to see the three one minute periods reinstated.

Re: New Rules #84321 04/11/06 07:03 PM
A
Aaron Sweazy Offline
A
Quote:
Originally posted by bdisney1:
Aaron - Give me an example of the overtime. I guess I'm tired or something. I am not following the rule.
Barry if I'm understanding it, it will be like college where if no points are awarded in the neutral OT, both wrestlers will get an opportunity from the bottom in back to back 30/30 periods of continuous wrestling (no stoppage).

If still tied, then back to their feet is my understanding for 30 seconds.

In college after the 2nd Neutral OT you'd go back for another 30/30 and then if still tied riding time would factor in...if still tied on RT, then you repeat the process of Neutral and 30/30. Hope that didn't confuse you.

Yours in wrestling,

The Swayz
swayz.wrestling@gmail.com recruiting help, promoting the sport& more!
Re: New Rules #84322 04/12/06 03:12 PM
C
CoachS Offline
C
I found this while surfing the Indiana discussion board. A few more of the rules changes.
NFHS HIGH SCHOOL RULE CHANGES: Overtime Procedure, 275-Pound Weight Class Changed in High School Wrestling
Jerry Diehl NFHS
04/10/2006

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (April 10, 2006) — A change in the overtime procedure and an increase of 10 pounds in the 275-pound weight class are among the revisions in high school wrestling rules for the 2006-07 season.

A total of 14 rules revisions were approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Wrestling Rules Committee at its March 26-27 meeting in Indianapolis. The rules changes were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

After successful experimentation in several states last year, a potential of one additional minute was added to the overtime period. Beginning next season, if no score occurs in the sudden-victory period, two 30-second tiebreakers will take place. Scoring in these two tiebreakers will be conducted as in a regular match. If the score remains tied at the conclusion of the two tiebreakers, one additional 30-second period will be conducted, with the first person scoring declared the winner. If no points are scored, the offensive wrestler wins the match.

Previously, only one 30-second tiebreaker was conducted after the one-minute overtime period. The new rule provides for one additional 30-second tiebreaker and another 30-second period if the score remains tied after the tiebreakers.

For the first time since 1987, the limit on the heavyweight class was increased from 275 to 285 pounds. Jerry Diehl, assistant director of the NFHS and rules committee liaison, said student-athletes are bigger than they were when the limit of 275 pounds was established 19 years ago. He said the committee made the change to encourage additional high school athletes to compete in wrestling.

Dave Gannaway, assistant executive director of the Illinois High School Association and chair of the NFHS Wrestling Rules Committee, noted that the additional 10 pounds will provide larger athletes, particularly football players, an increased opportunity to wrestle.

In other rules revisions, the committee altered Rule 6-6 regarding the correction of errors. Beginning next season, any error (other than bad time and positioning) must be corrected prior to the start of the next period. For the correction to be made during the last period, it must be corrected prior to the wrestler/coach leaving the mat area. Previously, changes could be made after the match or within 30 minutes of the completion of a dual meet.

“Coaches and their scorekeepers have the responsibility to recognize scoring errors as they occur,” Diehl said. “It is unfair to attempt a reconstruction of what transpired in a previous period, if it is questioned in the subsequent period.”

The definition of when a match begins was revised in Rule 5-18-2. Beginning next season, a match (in dual matches) begins when the proper wrestler reports to the scorer’s table. Previously, by definition, a match started with the action of the first period. Diehl said the committee made this change to support the current interpretation of penalizing a wrestler who reports to compete and is improperly equipped.

Following is a summary of other changes approved for high school wrestling next year:

* Head coaches and captains are required to meet with the referee prior to each dual meet.

* Technical violations and potentially dangerous holds added to the list of items that must be verbally communicated to the referee when an assistant referee system is used.

* When the referee and assistant referee meet to confer, they shall meet away from the scorer’s table. (previously was in front of table)

* Restriction for garment extending below the singlet was modified.

* Decision on when to award additional near-fall points for acts by the defensive wrestler has been clarified.

* A wrestler who properly reports to the scorer’s table for a dual match cannot be withdrawn or replaced without causing the individual to be disqualified and the weight class forfeited.

* Penalty for pulling back the fingers clarified to state the act of grasping is not an automatic violation.

* Hand(s) to the face and/or raking the eyes added to the list of illegal holds.

* The term “fleeing” has been added to Rule 7-3-2.

* An exception was added to note that a match will not be stopped to penalize the offensive wrestler for stalling when the defensive wrestler has come to the standing position.

These 14 rules revisions will take effect next season, along with the landmark weight-management guidelines approved last year by the committee for implementation in 2006-07. These guidelines were approved in an effort to discourage rapid-weight loss by student-athletes.

In addition, the following points of emphasis were developed by the Wrestling Rules Committee for the 2006-07 season: dealing with apparent concussions, unnecessary roughness and slams, weigh-in procedures, uniform requirements, and socks and use of other special equipment.

Wrestling is the sixth-most popular sport for boys at the high school level, with 243,009 participants during the 2004-05 season, according to the High School Athletics Participation Survey conducted by the NFHS. It ranks eighth in school sponsorship with 9,562 high schools nationwide conducting the sport. In addition, a total of 4,334 girls participated in high school wrestling in 2004-05.

NFHS 2006-07 WRESTLING RULE CHANGES

1-3-1 Each state association shall develop and utilize a weight-management program that includes a specific gravity not to exceed 1.025; a body fat assessment no lower than seven percent for males/12 percent for females and a monitored weekly weight loss plan not to exceed 1.5 percent a week.

3-1-4e Head coaches and captains are required to meet with the referee prior to each dual meet.

3-2-2a Technical violations and potentially dangerous holds have been added to the list of items that must be verbally communicated to the referee when an assistant referee system is used.

3-2-2f When the referee and assistant referee meet to confer, the meeting shall take place away from the scorer’s table.

4-1-1c The restriction for a garment extending below the singlet has been modified to allow a tight-fitting, single-solid color, unadorned product that does not extend below the knee.

4-4-4 The 275-pound class has been increased to 285 pounds.

5-11-2f-i The determination of when to award additional near-fall points for acts by the defensive wrestler has been clarified.

5-18-2 A match begins when the proper wrestler reports to the scorer’s table in dual matches.

6-2-2 A wrestler who properly reports to the scorer’s table for a dual match cannot be withdrawn or replaced without causing the individual to be disqualified and the weight class forfeited.

6-6-4a1 &
6-6-5a1 Any error, other than bad time (Art. 1) or positioning (Art. 2), shall be corrected prior to the start of the next period, regulation or overtime. For the correction to be made during the last period, it must be corrected prior to the wrestler/coach leaving the mat area.
6-7-1 The Overtime shall consist of a one-minute Sudden Victory period; if no scoring occurs, two 30-second tiebreakers shall be utilized; and if the score remains tied a 30-second Ultimate Tiebreaker will be completed.

7-1-4 The penalty for pulling back the fingers has been clarified to indicate the act of grasping is not an automatic violation.

7-1-5 Hand(s) to the face and/or raking the eyes have been added to the listing of illegal holds.

7-3-2 The term “fleeing” has been added to the rule.

8-1-2c An exception has been added indicating that the match will not be stopped to penalize the offensive wrestler for stalling when the defensive wrestler has come to the standing position.

Points of Emphasis
1. Concussions
2. Unnecessary Roughness and Slams
3. Weigh-in Procedures
4. Uniform Requirements
5. Socks and Other Special Equipment Use

Re: New Rules #84323 04/12/06 03:25 PM
B
bdisney1 Offline
B
So when the rule says that if the score is still tied then the offensive wrestler is declared the winner it means the guy on top?

So is this scenario right:

end of regulation = tie

1 minute ot in neutral = no score

30 second overtime (A picks top/B bottom) = no escape

30 second overtime (B's choice top/A bottom = no score

Result = B wins as he was the offensive wrestler

Re: New Rules #84324 04/12/06 03:27 PM
Pin Em 4000 Offline
Man with these new rules I would like to see some overtime matches agien and see if there is a different outcome. My favorite of this year Roe Vs Cotton but if you remember Roe won but Cotton rode him with ease in the third. so with the new rules the match might have just ended different. I can't wait to see these rules in atcion.

pinning everyone all over the Nation...And growing
Re: New Rules #84325 04/12/06 03:33 PM
A
A. Oncewas Offline
A
Cast my vote w/ coach neil as far the overtime issue. I'm for 3/1:00 periods... at the high school level anyway, maybe not at kids.

Troy Reitcheck
Re: New Rules #84326 04/12/06 04:59 PM
C
CoachS Offline
C
This is how I believe that the new overtime works. 1 min on feet first score wins. 30 A on top B down. 30 sec B on top A down. IF the score is still tied then the person who scored the first points in the match gets choice of up or down with a 30 sec sudden death ot. If the score is still tied the wrestler who was on top is given a point and declared the winner.

Re: New Rules #84327 04/12/06 05:26 PM
24/7 Offline
so basically you want to take bottom in the first 30 second overtime if you have your choice. If you get away you win and if you don't you get your choice again. Different strategy.....???

24/7

Re: New Rules #84328 04/12/06 06:15 PM
C
CoachS Offline
C
No you will wrestle both 30 sec. periods out completly. The 3rd 30 sec overtime is sudden death and first points scored wins. A little bit of strategy comes into play here. Do you choose top first and attempt to ride him all 30 sec then take your stab at bottom or do you want to take bottom right away and put the pressure on your opponet in the last 30 sec making them have to get away.

Re: New Rules #84329 04/12/06 07:33 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
A "fat" guy can lose 10 pounds, but if he is already pulling from 335, it is tougher than one would think. 285 is better than 275. Kids are bigger today. I do agree that we need something in between 215 and 285. The only way that we could do that however, without adding a weight, is by getting rid of one of the 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 52 weights and spread those out over 5 weights instead of 6. Just a thought on that.

Re: New Rules #84330 04/12/06 08:24 PM
C
coach neil Offline
C
The overtime rules have almost turned full circle. We use to wrestle 3 one minute rounds. One in the neutral position and two of them on the mat. There is a one minute time difference. I guess hindsight is 20/20. We should have left well enough alone years ago.

I'm really surprised that the heavyweight rule hasn't been challenged. Lets face it there are some good athletes out there that just can't cut to that weight (275). Kids have just become bigger now days with better nutrition and the weight programs offered. 300 pound high school athletes are not a rarity anymore.

Re: New Rules #84331 04/12/06 08:28 PM
N
Nate's Dad Offline
N
I couldn't agree more about the weight discrepancy in the weight classes & age groups. There are a lot of big kids out there and they either have to wrestle up and age bracket or not at all. I know of several kids who would have done well at state but couldn't get under the minimum HWT requirements. This is especially true in the younger age groups.

My son is going to be in his first year of 8& under next season and he is already weighing around 115lbs and is 4'9". If he puts on 20lbs this summer and grows 3 more inches he will be way over the weight limit to participate in the State Tourney. My son isn't really that fat, he is big. He isn't alone. He wrestled several 6&U kids who were a lot heavier than he. That means those boys are already out of the line up.

I don't understand why there are so many lower weight groups. I am guessing but I imagine that at the state tourney a bunch of those kids in 8&U age class in the lower weight groups are really 6&U wrestling up. I fiddled with some numbers and here is what I came up with as an example.

8 & Under weight Classes

45lb
50lb
55lb
60lb
65lb
70lb
75lb
80lb
85lb
90lb
95lb
100lb
115lb
125lb
135lb
145lb

Same number of weight classes but a little more balanced and a lot less confusing to the parents and wrestlers with all the odd weight numbers. This type of format could be applied to all age groups with different weights as appropriate.

Just putting something out there for thought. Who decides this critera anyway. I would like to sit in on that meeting.

Ok, this is where your supposed to put something really cool to say and impress everyone with your wit. However, it will prob just tick someone else off.
Re: New Rules #84332 04/12/06 09:37 PM
Beeson Offline
My only problem with the little weights are that a five pound jump for a 40 pounder is equal to a sixteen pound jump for a 150 pounder. So for a little guy to wrestle 40 or 45 would be the same as a high schooler wresltling 150 or 166. Body weight percentage is what we need to be looking at.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: New Rules #84333 04/12/06 09:39 PM
Beeson Offline
High School members, sorry, I probably should have put that last post on the kids forum.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,979
Posts250,431
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)