Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94005 02/03/05 12:24 AM
G
gutwrench1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
All transfers have to get "cleared" by school they're leaving and the school they're transferring to sends that form to KSHAA. If the school you leave says you tranferred for athletic reasons you can't compete for 180 days without winning an appeal. Fact.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94006 02/03/05 12:30 AM
V
vikes Offline
V
the above is a fact. it happened to a student who transfered from a school i know well to a neighbor school. the home school questioned the move as a athletic move and he had to sit out.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94007 02/03/05 01:40 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
If the school you leave says you tranferred for athletic reasons you can't compete for 180 days without winning an appeal. Fact.
Rule 18
TRANSFER

"BONA FIDE MOVE— If a student’s parents, or legal guardian in case neither parent is living, make a bona fide move to a new permanent residence in the vicinity of the new school to which the student transfers, the student is then immediately eligible."

I am certain all transfers to St. Thomas Aquinas High School have been reviewed by the Athletic Director at St. Thomas Aquinas and scrutinized by KSHSAA.

Obviously the transfers were approved, or the athlete would have been ineligible for eighteen weeks.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94008 02/03/05 01:42 AM
number two Offline
dang this has been going on for years back in the 70s and 80s half of kapuns team was from douglas ks and and bishop goddard instead of carroll lots of good aircraft jobs to be had for moms and dads of superjocks

jim ryan
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94009 02/03/05 01:45 AM
Brettimus Offline
that would suck to be inelligable to play sports for a whole semester, especially wrestling which goes through 2 different semesters...

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94010 02/03/05 01:53 AM
G
gutwrench1 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
"Bona Fide" is the caveat, Mr. Saylor. I'm sure it's completely above board with KSHAA and do not mean to suggest that it is not, but when was the last time you remember three ranked wrestlers transferring to one school? Maybe you do not find that the least bit interesting, but some people do. The point of the thread is do private schools play on a different field than public schools and is that fair.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94011 02/03/05 02:33 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I happen to know a few other kids from our STA Kids Program Shawnee Mission Northwest - The Redcorns, Chaz Hill, They are or were ranked wrestlers. A few other that have step in our kids program include the Livengoods and Tanenbaum at Blue Valley North who are ranked kids. They will probably come back and practice with us when the high school season is over. Sultani's at Shawnee Mission South come to mind, We have three Walker Brothers who will most likely wrestle at O'Hara - One of them is already on Varsity there as a freshman. Olathe East has a freshman Anstine who has wrestled some varsity for them. Also, Shawnee Mission North - Artie Squire a freshman wrestling varsity for that school. The Markeys have been in our kids program for some time - As a matter of fact thay have another little brother coming up in our program as we speak and there father helps coach at our program. Building a program takes some work and 12 years ago a man name Joe Cisper started the STA club (We had 10 kids our first year). Cisper - That is right his son's are Nolan and Neil. After 12 years now we have around 100 kids in our club - not including the high school kids that come back after the season. There are few other kids I would like to mention but I do not have the time. I just return from kids practice and if your hoping the STA program is in decline you'll be waiting for a while. I am committed to the program for a long time and you have to drag me off the mat.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94012 02/03/05 02:39 AM
C
cntsdad Offline
C
Sounds like a little haterism in gutwrenches voice. My son was going to transfer to STA a couple of years back and when we went to the school and met the administration, he was noticed by students and coaches. I must say that the coaches were nothing but professional, making sure not to cross that line. In the end he chose to stay where he was. We informed the school and the coaches, they wished him well with no pressure and no hard feeelings. Since graduating he has even gone over to wrestle with some of the guys over there. So as far as recruiting goes make sure you have proof before accusing. I know of kids all over the state who have tranferred to another school for athletics, before and during high school. To VS Vike Coach, $4,000 is a little low of an estimation of tuition at STA. Kudos to STA for having a school and wrestling program that attracts kids from all over the area. How long will it be before people are attacking the new Catholic School in Jo. County. St. James? Good points Coach McCarthy, You da' man.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94013 02/03/05 02:57 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
I did forget to mention the STA Kids Program has around 16 certifed coaches who help with practices and tournaments. We have unbelievable support when ever we ask the parents to help with tournaments or whatever. We have a Super-Wonder Mom who does all our sign-ups, ordering uniforms, collecting and handing out all the paperwork. Also, I have been in the High School Practice room as well and they have a Coaching Staff Second to NONE. They care about the kids in and out of the class room as well as on the mat. They work with the freshman, sophmores, JV on an equal plane as the varsity. No body said anything twelve years ago about the High School program - when it was in its infant stage.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94014 02/03/05 09:35 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
I think something that a high school public or private can take from this is that if you are interested in developing a long term successful wrestling program that you need to have a successful kids club as the foundation which Aquinas has. It can happen the same for a public school. I know Manhattan and Turner have successful kids clubs. I am sure you can go across the State to Wichita, Hutchinson, Columbus, Salina, Topeka, Abilene, etc. and find examples of both public and private schools with successful kids programs that have fed the high school programs. Not all private schools have successful wrestling programs. My guess is that the ones that are not successful both private and public do not have a strong kids program.

Here is a list of STA kids on the current Aquinas lineup that I know of: 112 Phillip Henes, 119 Skyler Scott, 135 Scott Markey, 140 Andy Hurla, 145 Paul Markey, 152 Joe Ibarra, 189 Neil Cisper, 215 Mike Hammer. There have been at least three other STA Kids wrestlers, Connor McCarthy 103, Brian Sullivan 119 and EJ Walter 160, who have wrestled some varsity this year for Aquinas and I believe these will all letter. I know Tom Greer is having an outstanding freshman/JV season and will also contribute in future years. I apologize if I left anyone out. These 12 kids each have several years of development in the STA kids program. Several of them have younger brothers still in the program. Several outstanding graduated wrestlers like Nolan Cisper and Drew Ibarra have STA Kids experience and high school State titles.

This is probably a good thing for the Kansas City Kansas wrestling. Strong programs like Turner and Aquinas can only help in the annual Metro Classic. I think we would like to regain those bragging rights. I think some other area schools like Mill Valley, Olate East, North and South are developing some strong kids programs and their high school programs should benefit from it.

So I think the focus should be not if a private school has inherent advantages but more on what kind of kids program is out there to feed our high school program. It is not built in a short period of time (like Smokeycabin has described) but it can be done.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94015 02/03/05 09:44 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by gutwrench1:
"Bona Fide" is the caveat, Mr. Saylor. I'm sure it's completely above board with KSHAA and do not mean to suggest that it is not, but when was the last time you remember three ranked wrestlers transferring to one school? Maybe you do not find that the least bit interesting, but some people do. The point of the thread is do private schools play on a different field than public schools and is that fair.
There is NO caveat and you obviously speak out of spite!

St. Thomas Aquinas must abide by the same rules and regulations established by KSHSAA as do public schools. To suggest otherwise is naive. The only advantage private schools enjoy is the fact they do not have defined school district boundaries.

There is an old axiom used by most all public high school administrators which states "we spend ninety (90) percent of our time dealing with ten (10) percent of out students".

Generally, at private schools, which are a privilege to attend and not a government mandated right, if a student is spending that much time with an administrator, the student will be shown the door and will become the next disruption for the public schools.

Quit whining and accept the fact it was above board.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94016 02/03/05 11:45 AM
VS Vike coach Offline
cntsdad:

Actually, I was refering to Immaculata's tuition cost when I coached there; I know that STA's tuition is much higher than that...

Good dreams don't come cheap, you have to pay for them....
— Harry Chapin, 1976
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94017 02/03/05 11:54 AM
Gibby Offline
Darn it, Richard beat me to the punch.

Ditto

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94018 02/03/05 11:59 AM
R
Ron Tacha Offline
R
Richard, this past fall a girl from STA won the individual state championship in girls golf. This girl transfered from Washburn Rural in Topeka. In an article in the Topeka paper, the Wasburn Rural golf coach indicated this girl lives in Missouri. He said in the article, he was proud of her for winning, but he could not understand how a girl from Missouri should be able to compete in the Kansas tournament.
If this coach has his facts correct, and a person from a different state can compete in a state tournament for a private school, it is an advantage for the private school. Can a public school have someone from another state compete for their teams? Maybe I'm naive, but it seems like an advantage for the private schools.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94019 02/03/05 12:32 PM
Prant Garker Offline
And it's a ***swish*** for the rarely seen Ton Racha.

Did STA recruit the athletes mentioned above? Probably not. But do private schools have an advantage over public schools? Absolutely. To say, "The only advantage private schools enjoy is the fact they do not have defined school district boundaries" is ridiculous. That's like saying, "the only advantage private schools have is that they can make state-wide all-star teams and public schools can not." A private school's ability to draw kids from an entire metropolitan area, rather than one section of it, is exactly what makes the playing field less than equal. Would Hayden, Bishop Carrol or STA be able to compete at such a high level if they were restricted to one (school district-sized) area? I think not.

On another note, Sr. Malyer, I have no idea why you're defending this topic so wholeheartedly. To say someone is "whining" after they present a rule which you asked them to show is a juvenile way to respond to an argument. If you'd like, you can go post something like that on the Kids Forum...

That's all for me on this thread. The annual private school/public school argument bores me. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go engage in witty banter somewhere else...

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94020 02/03/05 01:41 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
That is why some states do not allow them to compete at the state level.

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94021 02/03/05 01:45 PM
resslnfan Offline
Ron Tacha would know a thing or two about female golfers as well as wrestling. The last time Chapman won an NCKL wrestling title Ron was coaching and I was wrestling (not that I had much to do with it) and that was a long time ago. Northwest Kansas wrestling influence - priceless! Good to hear from you coach. Ray Arveson

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94022 02/03/05 02:20 PM
C
coach neil Offline
C
This is a very interesting Topic. There are many valid points being made, but I instead of arguing about how great STA is and how much recruiting they do, wouldn’t it make more sense just to get into the wrestling room and better then them?

Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94023 02/03/05 03:13 PM
Scott Fausset Offline
My two cents...

I see much too much that drags sports, in general, down for the kids. For me, politics and "self" have no place in kids sports or academics. I know the Markey boys and wish them every advantage.

I agree with coach neil. It seems misguided to argue that one oranization/schools/otherwise has gotten over on another, when the whole premise is based on activities for our youth.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the frustration caused by others "not following the guidelines" that are initially made for all to support.

But the reality is "we're doing for the kids", or should be. Whatever we can do "to enhances their long-term performance and opportunities" should be our goal.

Only when it is "not in the kids' best interest" or if "something underminds the kids' futures" should we look at each other with squented eyes.

You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. -- Joseph Goldstein
Re: Aquinas and its transfers #94024 02/03/05 05:06 PM
B
blitzkrieg Offline
B
Would anyone care if some kids transfered if Aquinas wasn't doing so well this year.

And I do believe the Markey's never attended Olathe North. They were in their program because the junior high they attended didn't have wrestling. So they never transfered.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Kathy Juby 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 197 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,977
Posts250,428
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)